Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish Retiring

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Fish Retiring

Fish posted on Facebook that after one more album and a Farewell tour he's retiring from the music business. People on FB didn't seem surprised but it's the first I've heard of it. Had anyone here heard about this before today? It's certainly his right, and his career hasn't really been an easy one, but I always question these kinds of definitive statements. Not sure why he wouldn't maybe just continue doing albums and give up touring.

From the update that he posted today (http://fishheads.club/2015/01/13/2015-from-the-balcony/), sounds like he is busier than ever with touring, remixing and reissuing older CDS, recording a new one, and touring again, with a farewell tour in 2017.

Just hope he has enough support to make some USA appearances over the next three years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    From the update that he posted today (http://fishheads.club/2015/01/13/2015-from-the-balcony/), sounds like he is busier than ever with touring, remixing and reissuing older CDS, recording a new one, and touring again, with a farewell tour in 2017.

Just hope he has enough support to make some USA appearances over the next three years.
    Agreed, it would really like the chance to see him one more time before he retires.

What confuses me is that to me it's a bit of a bombshell, but people on FB seemed to know it was coming. Not sure if he'd mentioned it previously or not. I don't read all his updates but think I would have got wind of this.

I have mixed feelings about the reissues since I've bought most of his albums a couple of times already, but psyched about the downloads and DVD or BR he mentions , and of course a new album. (I'm actually still not sure how I feel about Feast of Consequences.)

Wasn't there a time, let's say 12-15 years ago, when Fish announced he was retiring from music and concentrating on his film career ? I kind of remember interviewing him at the time and he was saying that.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

If he gets Steve Hillage to play on that last tour and does a cd/dvd- EPIC WIN.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Wasn't there a time, let's say 12-15 years ago, when Fish announced he was retiring from music and concentrating on his film career ? I kind of remember interviewing him at the time and he was saying that.
    As I recall, he said he was putting the music career on the back burner, but I don't think it amounted to more than the usual gap between albums.

If I had to guess, he'll probably do another album ( beyond this next one) at some point, to pay the bills or just because. But I can certainly imagine him having had his fill of touring and all the complications that come with it.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What confuses me is that to me it's a bit of a bombshell, but people on FB seemed to know it was coming. Not sure if he'd mentioned it previously or not. I don't read all his updates but think I would have got wind of this.

.)
    This was the first I had heard of it, and I am on his Facebook page. Then again, I don’t always read everything he posts. His Facebook posts can be very entertaining, but sometimes they are a bit long winded, so I don’t necessarily read everything. If he does eventually retire he should really consider writing a book. He could probably do it without a ghostwriter or collaborator and I am sure has hundreds of great stories.

As I recall, he said he was putting the music career on the back burner, but I don't think it amounted to more than the usual gap between albums.

That was my impression at the time as well. I think he really thought he had a shot at becoming and actor after he got a few parts back in the day, but that really never turned into much.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    This was the first I had heard of it, and I am on his Facebook page. Then again, I don’t always read everything he posts. His Facebook posts can be very entertaining, but sometimes they are a bit long winded, so I don’t necessarily read everything. If he does eventually retire he should really consider writing a book. He could probably do it without a ghostwriter or collaborator and I am sure has hundreds of great stories.
    Agree 100% with all that.

He's been hinting at it since the Scotland independence vote. I think he's gotten married and will move to his wife's country which I think was Germany? Sounded like he wanted to take it easy over there.

I saw him in concert in Reading (UK) last month, and he seemed pretty happy with things.
    Yes, he's going to live in Germany, but he gave no indication of anything else.

fish and i – eg. my musical tastes – had separated a long time ago but he remains one of my all-time heroes from the sturm and drang of my young adolescence. i hope to be able to see him live one more time – he deserves a thunderous farewell from us all. alles gute, onkel fisch!

I'd seen him mention this amongst his talk about Scottish independence.

The guy can't really sing anymore. So it's not surprising. This realization hasn't stopped Ian Anderson, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Genital Giant View Post
    The guy can't really sing anymore. So it's not surprising. This realization hasn't stopped Ian Anderson, unfortunately.
    He can still sing in the studio.

Indeed, A Feast Of Consequences was quite good.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Eh... if Leonard Cohen "sang" I guess Ian still does.

Quote Originally Posted by Genital Giant View Post
    Ian is slowly figuring it out. He has help in concert and I would imagine that will only shift to him doing more playing and less singing as time goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Eh... if Leonard Cohen "sang" I guess Ian still does.
    I meant Fish. And I'm talking studio work, so new music written in reachable keys.

Here is the latest on his plans posted earlier today:

"Just to allay some fears out there that I am planning to go into a vegetative state in 2017 smile emoticon

The overall plan involves selling the Studio either as a studio or a residential dwelling in 2016-17 and moving to Baden Wuerttemburg in Germany to live and begin a new career as a writer.

The autobiography is obvious as is the lyric book with explanations of the inspiration and stories behind the words. I also have a couple of ideas for novels ( one which came strongly to mind in the last week in Durlach) and I've been thinking about screenplay projects for a long time that I have never had the time to work on because of my commitment to songwriting, recording and touring.

I've already been offered the chance to write lyrics for other people which could be interesting as an aside but I really do want to take a step away from music as I feel that after the next album I'll have said all I want to say in that format.

Of course I will still have an urge to step on a stage but it will be for fun not because I have to as I have no desire to be on tour when I hit 60. If anything it will be in the Fishheads Club format and even then it will be just in Europe and only very occasional low key forays at weekends just to keep my hand in and get a couple of kicks.

There's a stronger likelihood of spoken word stage outings supporting book launches or doing "audiences with..." in small venues.

In short it's time to get involved with something different and challenging.

So there you are. It's a while off yet but I had to work out a plan of action if only to set myself on course and keep me focused on the future. I've still got ambitions and there will always be a deep desire within me to create on some level or another. I think this provides an exciting route map that I hope will still keep people interested in what I do as an artist overall."

What confuses me is that to me it's a bit of a bombshell, but people on FB seemed to know it was coming. Not sure if he'd mentioned it previously or not.
    He has mentioned it in a few interviews in the past few months, at least one of which i'd seen linked in a Marillion FB group. Here's one of them:

http://bravewords.com/news/former-ma...nd-screenplays

I think it "retirement" was mentioned at least six months ago (I'm not on Facebook so I didn't read it there). For some reason, I thought this was common knowledge.

Sadly, I don't think we'll have the pleasure of ever seeing Fish perform music in the states again.

I'm glad he's decided to do the spoken word thing. I've been fantasizing about a Rollins/Fish double bill for almost 20 years now. I guess I'm ones step closer to seeing that happen!

Good for him. A great contributor to music and has produced some of the finest lyrics penned in the name of prog. He is a talented guy and its great to see him thinking ahead and doing what he wants to do, which I suspect he will be more than capable of achieving. More power to his elbow. I'd certainly give his debut novel a try.

Nice to see someone taking such a sensible, progressive (in the truest sense) and thoughtful approach to life.

I would definitely read an autobiography too.