Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Genesis - Abacab

rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post

And a thumbs up to the Two great songs on invisible touch and the four very good songs on Calling All Stations.
    Let me guess: "Domino" & "Tonight...", and "Calling All Stations", "Uncertain Weather", "There Must Be Some Other Way" and "One Man's Fool"? I'd add the b-side, "Run Out of Time"-a very poignant piece of music there.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    10. Trespass (too bad about the Knife, which I think really spoils that album)
    Yep. I often just turn it off after the gorgeous "Dusk".

Quote Originally Posted by perpetual strange View Post
    Let me guess: "Domino" & "Tonight...", and "Calling All Stations", "Uncertain Weather", "There Must Be Some Other Way" and "One Man's Fool"? I'd add the b-side, "Run Out of Time"-a very poignant piece of music there.

Ha ha! You read my genesis mind! Sort of spooky, but obvious. I also like The dividing Line. I think calling all stations was better than previous albums but by that time I was just hoping for three or four good songs.

I didn't put the 70s albums in my list because while great, I only listen to them live. I forgot to put in seconds out.

I can't believe someone wouldn't like "The Knife." I think it's a remarkable piece by such a young band, and the guitar work is so wonderful. For me, I love "Looking For Someone," "Stagnation," and "The Knife" from Trespass and often skip over the other three tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    I can't believe someone wouldn't like "The Knife." I think it's a remarkable piece by such a young band, and the guitar work is so wonderful. For me, I love "Looking For Someone," "Stagnation," and "The Knife" from Trespass and often skip over the other three tracks.
    I like 'The Knife', but it to me is sort of the commercial track after 5 adventurous tracks. Not that it isn't adventurous, but chordally more straightforward. Almost like it was to appease the crowds. When the album came out, the one the band favored was 'Stagnation'. And there is a haunting beautiful quality to those first 5 tracks, which grew on me a lot, whereas 'The Knife' I really liked initially, but grew to like the first 5 more over time.

Check out the Reading festival show from August '72 where they actually opened the show with "The Knife"! As far as I know, that's the only time this happened, and was done so to grab the crowd early instead of the gentle buildup of the club/town hall set lists they usually did. A somewhat rowdier crowd of a summer festival would probably be lost had they opened with something like "Happy The Man"!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

'The Knife' has always struck me as the best moment on 'Trespass' by a long way. The rest of it has glimmers of something (particularly the second part of 'Stagnation') but they aren't by any means fully-formed at that stage. I don't think they would have had the same impact if they'd have kept on like this. There's also some questionable playing on things like 'Visions Of Angels'.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    'The Knife' has always struck me as the best moment on 'Trespass' by a long way. The rest of it has glimmers of something (particularly the second part of 'Stagnation') but they aren't by any means fully-formed at that stage. I don't think they would have had the same impact if they'd have kept on like this. There's also some questionable playing on things like 'Visions Of Angels'.
    There's a reason that Steve Hackett's Genesis Revisited is still playing this on tour. It's a great song.

Back to Abacab... this morning I made a "trio-era" compilation CDR (yes, I still like those ) for my wife, and I included "You Might Recall". Had this song been on the album, it would easily be my favourite one on there. I've often said how baffling it is that they would leave off such a great track in favour of such a questionable one like "Who Dunnit?" but I can see why now. It really sounds nothing like the rest of the album, and has a much less modern sound, harkening back to (somewhat) earlier days. No heavy synths or drumming, for one. A much more romantic piece than anything found on the album proper.

It's been mentioned often that Genesis had a boatload of great b-sides, and this one is a prime example.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Back to Abacab... this morning I made a "trio-era" compilation CDR (yes, I still like those ) for my wife, and I included "You Might Recall". Had this song been on the album, it would easily be my favourite one on there. I've often said how baffling it is that they would leave off such a great track in favour of such a questionable one like "Who Dunnit?" but I can see why now. It really sounds nothing like the rest of the album, and has a much less modern sound, harkening back to (somewhat) earlier days. No heavy synths or drumming, for one. A much more romantic piece than anything found on the album proper.

It's been mentioned often that Genesis had a boatload of great b-sides, and this one is a prime example.
    I remember when the Archives box came out, and disc one was all b-sides and I thought that was their best album since Duke.

Really though, with "On The Shoreline", "You Might Recall", "Evidence of Autumn", "Do The Neurotic", "Naminanu", "Inside and Out", "Its Yourself" and "Submarine", how can you miss?

I feel like You Might Recall starts a bit too much like the verse of Behind The Lines with the punctuated hi-hat hits, which might draw too many comparisons and appear as if they're repeating themselves (which Abacab was surely intended NOT to do). That's my guess as to why it was left off.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

I'll admit to hitting the repeat button for this whenever I listen to Three Sides Live or the Archive 2 box.