Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy The Man- Crafty Hands (1978)

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Yezda Urfa sure comes to mind.
    And, back then: Mirthrandir, Pentwater, (some of) Hands, Terraced Garden in the 80s etc. Those Quebec'ian GG-disciples were a bit obvious, seeing how GG were somewhat succesful there; Maneige, Opus-5 and the very GG'ish Etcetera.

Advent are doing a pretty damn nice job at "the GG" nowadays, although they certainly and luckily move beyond that.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    And, back then: Mirthrandir, Pentwater, (some of) Hands, Terraced Garden in the 80s etc. Those Quebec'ian GG-disciples were a bit obvious, seeing how GG were somewhat succesful there; Maneige, Opus-5 and the very GG'ish Etcetera.

Advent are doing a pretty damn nice job at "the GG" nowadays, although they certainly and luckily move beyond that.
    I always wanted to hear Etcetera,but somehow I never have.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    In terms of showcasing a most original approach to their medium ("symphonic" style progressive rock) - yes. But there have been several other US and/or Canadian (Quebecois) bands who wore their GG-sleeves far more blatantly than HtM. And kudos to the latter for developing their own sound.
    Within HTM, I hear multiple influences. The Kit Watkins influenced or written songs are very Camel like. HTM had an atmospheric side (more on the first release engineered by Ken Scott). However Craft Hands has more of a VDGG and GG sound, but all of these releases are original results. Very prog gumbo of jazz, earlier prog and classical music (from classical music educations).

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Within HTM, I hear multiple influences. The Kit Watkins influenced or written songs are very Camel like. HTM had an atmospheric side (more on the first release engineered by Ken Scott). However Craft Hands has more of a VDGG and GG sound, but all of these releases are original results. Very prog gumbo of jazz, earlier prog and classical music (from classical music educations).
    I totally agree with some of that. I also think that songs like Morning Sun,The Moon,I Sing and Open Book sound nothing like VDGG or GG. The odd thing to me is how many fans keep referring to them as SYMPHONIC. In my listening since 1977 they never get that symphonic. That would be The Enid,Craft,The Flower Kings,Yes,Genesis and King Crimson here and there mainly due to usage of the strings settings on their Mellotrons. HTM of the 70's used an ARP String Ensemble,Fender Rhodes Piano,Clavinet and and a Minimoog D. Hardly enough to garner the term symphonic I would think. I may be wrong though with the ARP there are string sounds so I guess it's up to the individual to decide.

In 79'..I was traveling everywhere..(it seemed), and a empty-headed DJ handed me the album sealed and said.."Here kid, you can have this because no one is listening to this kind of music anymore". I took the album back to our band house in Media, P.A. and we sat in front of the fireplace listening to it for hours. My singer then walked in and informed us..."You boneheads!" "They have played around the corner from us several times" "You morons!" "Don't you know who they are?" Then we all took notice of their name on billboard/sign posted in front of venues that we had played and we just started flipping out like a bunch of little kids! We often played huge cities and feverishly searched for their debut. We learned their pieces and played them at soundchecks. Then as time progressed we noticed H.T.M.'s impact on professional musicians traveling the road. Everyone I knew performing early Genesis and Yes material were overwhelmed by Happy The Man. They were a legend on the circuit! They were extremely important to musicians because they had figured out a way to be totally original while being influenced by Prog of the 70's...where many other Prog acts on the circuit that played original music were just too much about emulation if anything and that is precisely what was so important about H.T.M. I will remember those times when I'm on my deathbed.

The odd thing to me is how many fans keep referring to them as SYMPHONIC. In my listening since 1977 they never get that symphonic. That would be The Enid,Craft,The Flower Kings,Yes,Genesis and King Crimson here and there mainly due to usage of the strings settings on their Mellotrons. HTM of the 70's used an ARP String Ensemble,Fender Rhodes Piano,Clavinet and and a Minimoog D. Hardly enough to garner the term symphonic I would think. I may be wrong though with the ARP there are string sounds so I guess it's up to the individual to decide.
    The term "symphonic" applied to rock music is a sham in the first place and never had much to do with the size or contents of a band's keysstack. It was solely about certain aspects of arrangement and harmonics. Hell, even Vanilla Fudge were called "symphonic rock" in Rolling Stone at the release of the Renaissance album, as were Procol Harum in the UK.

Happy the Man are namechecked as "symphonic (progressive) rock" due to the heavy role of layered and sometimes orchestral synth textures as well as the compositional dimension itself. Their influences veered from Genesis and Yes to mid-70s Zappa and Romantic-era RTF. I personally don't hear much of either VdGG or GG (both of whom I love) in HtM (although an early track like "Partly the State" could almost suggest a vague VdGG-influence nonetheless), but they were just as idiosyncratic IMO.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

chalkpie
    HTM always reminded me of what (would/could) consist of great interludes in prog tunes, minus the tunes, if that makes sense? I understand there is form, development, etc happening in the music, but I can't help but to feel this way. But what they do they are very good at. The first tune posted "Moon" was always my favorite from this album.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    HTM always reminded me of what (would/could) consist of great interludes in prog tunes, minus the tunes, if that makes sense? I understand there is form, development, etc happening in the music, but I can't help but to feel this way. But what they do they are very good at. The first tune posted "Moon" was always my favorite from this album.
    Steaming Pipes is mine. Mainly because it's the only one I can play mostly through. I do know one thing about their writing and that is someone is obsessed with Lydian Mode i/e. C,D,E,F#,G,A,B,C. They use it on almost every song they ever did which is wonderful.

Yezda Urfa sure comes to mind.
    Funny,I just placed Boris on the table for playing on Saturday's commute.

Banned
    I totally agree with some of that. I also think that songs like Morning Sun,The Moon,I Sing and Open Book sound nothing like VDGG or GG. The odd thing to me is how many fans keep referring to them as SYMPHONIC. In my listening since 1977 they never get that symphonic. That would be The Enid,Craft,The Flower Kings,Yes,Genesis and King Crimson here and there mainly due to usage of the strings settings on their Mellotrons. HTM of the 70's used an ARP String Ensemble,Fender Rhodes Piano,Clavinet and and a Minimoog D. Hardly enough to garner the term symphonic I would think. I may be wrong though with the ARP there are string sounds so I guess it's up to the individual to decide.
    I mentioned VDGG, however that was listed by Stan Whitaker as an influence. I have not been much of a listener or fan of VDGG over the years. What I have heard did not do much for me.

This album is a desert island disc for me with Kate Bush's Hounds of Love, and CTTE rounding out my top three.

I always wanted to hear Etcetera,but somehow I never have.
    It's a very good record (not excellent or great, IMO - except for two standout tracks of which none are to be found on YT):

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Since I lived near where HTM was in the late 70's, I'm kind of wondering why you think the environment wasn't conducive to development of their music.
    I was referring to the general environment (that is, the United States). I didn't live in the DC/Baltimore area, I lived in NYC. I can tell you HTM wasn't widely known in NYC in the late 70's.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I was referring to the general environment (that is, the United States). I didn't live in the DC/Baltimore area, I lived in NYC. I can tell you HTM wasn't widely known in NYC in the late 70's.
    HTM recorded with Arista and Clive Davis. Nick Lowe wrote a song about Arista, They Called It Rock:
    They went and cut the record, the record hit the charts
    Someone in the newspaper said that it was art
    The disco Casanova had it heavy on the breath
    The local teeny-bopper band was playing it to death

They called it rock

The telephones are ringing, the boys are getting hot
    They're jettin' out to Rio and some other sunny spots
    Some senorita says the singer sounds terrific
    The personal appearances are stopping the traffic

They called it rock

Hey long distance, it's a rock and roll romance
    CBS is gonna pay a great big advance
    Hey Atlantic, come on take a chance
    Arista say they love it but the kids can't dance to it

They cut another record, it never was a hit
    Someone in the newspaper said it was shit
    The drummer is a bookie, the singer is a whore
    The bass player's selling clothes he never would have wore

They called it rock

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I lived in NYC. I can tell you HTM wasn't widely known in NYC in the late 70's.
    I lived there as well, and while I was aware of them by name, I doubt I ever heard them

I don't recall ever hearing them on WLIR or WNEW, the two more prog friendly radio stations

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Just got this. I really love it. The sweet nature of "Morning Sun," the hyper syncopation of "Ibby It Is"… Makes me want to look into Kit Watkins' stuff more.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

for Kit's solo stuff, if you want more upbeat and ominous it's Wet, Dark and Low
    if you want serene and beautiful it's his first, Azure

I have all of em... there are like 10 albums by him
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    for Kit's solo stuff, if you want more upbeat and ominous it's Wet, Dark and Low

How about Kit and Koko?

How about Kit and Koko?
    I remember I once played Kit & Coco's "In Time" at the wrong speed. It sounded quite a lot like upbeat HTM

Kit's "Sunstruck" contains the track "Phoebus' Dream" which has such a great drive. Played it many, many times. The rest of the album is fine too, although the last three tracks are more in the ambient vein.

Kit's Sunstruck has one of my favorite Prog epics, Third Planet Suite. The rest of the album is quite Ambient except for Phoebus Dream
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I remember I once played Kit & Coco's "In Time" at the wrong speed. It sounded quite a lot like upbeat HTM

Labyrinth was his first solo album after Happy The Man. Then Frames Of Mind,then Azure. Kit and Coco In Time isn't a solo album and I forgot the year it was released even though I have the lp. Never heard Wet,Dark and Low but thanks for the info on that. I def. enjoy his more upbeat music.

I was gonna change that after I wrote it, then I wondered if anyone would catch it.

BTW, Kit plays on the solo album by Coco Roussel if one is a completest like me

BTW, Kit plays on the solo album by Coco Roussel if one is a completest like me
    I suppose you also have However's "Calling" then (and Andy West's "Rama 1")?

And indeed, Roussel's "Reaching Beyond" is a fine Kit Watkins-album ;-)