Thread: Carl Palmer's ELP Legacy Performing Emerson, Lake & Palmer's Trilogy

Carl Palmer's ELP Legacy Performing Emerson, Lake & Palmer's Trilogy

Tony Ortiz - Official Archivist at Emerson Lake & Palmer
    https://www.facebook.com/tony.ortiz.94064

Quote Originally Posted by Tony O View Post
    That's pretty amazing. I was very curious to see how this lineup could possibly manage the opening piano performance. The assembled talent on stage is awesome.

But this got me thinking that Carl is sort of fulfilling the same duty as Steve Hackett is vis a vis Genesis -- he's acting as a "keeper of the flame" to ensure all that classic old ELP music is still being performed as faithful to the originals as possible. That then got me wondering if Carl might be better served doing what Hackett is doing and assembling a band that more closely replicates the sound of the original ELP. That would mean hiring a keyboard wizard and a singer, and making sure the guitar and bass sound just like Greg Lake did on those records (I doubt these guys would care for that gig). Anyways, I'm curious if that would draw the same kinds of crowds Hackett has with his Genesis Revisited tours. I'm not entirely confident it would because I'm not sure ELP's early 70s music would translate across time and generations the same way, or that it holds quite the same level of reverence among the hard core progheads. But watching this did get me thinking...
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

And people say Carl doesn't have it anymore.. what a load of rubbish.. I have several recordings from his band.. Amazing renditions of the ELP classics.. Bravo to Carl..

I have seen this line up at least 3 times, on CTTE and once locally. All drew nice crowds. The guitar player does an absolutely amazing job with Emerson's parts. The bass player is a phenom as well....and Carl... absolutely still has it. Very enjoyable, and very nice to hear a different twist on the classics. Each time they did a different mix of songs as well keeping it all very fresh. I think it actually would have been less enjoyable if he had gotten a keyboard player wiz and bass/ vocalist IMHO. These players are jaw dropping to see live. I saw ELP many times, and this absolutely does the music justice while giving the music a whole new vibe.

Palmer is a force to be reckoned with. It's painful sitting anywhere near that damn kit! This time I'm going for seats near the soundboard. With Asia all I could hear was him as he doesn't play behind glass even in small venues.
    I'd prefer him to have a keyboardist. Being a keyboardist might influence that choice though!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    That's pretty amazing. I was very curious to see how this lineup could possibly manage the opening piano performance. The assembled talent on stage is awesome.

But this got me thinking that Carl is sort of fulfilling the same duty as Steve Hackett is vis a vis Genesis -- he's acting as a "keeper of the flame" to ensure all that classic old ELP music is still being performed as faithful to the originals as possible. That then got me wondering if Carl might be better served doing what Hackett is doing and assembling a band that more closely replicates the sound of the original ELP. That would mean hiring a keyboard wizard and a singer, and making sure the guitar and bass sound just like Greg Lake did on those records (I doubt these guys would care for that gig). Anyways, I'm curious if that would draw the same kinds of crowds Hackett has with his Genesis Revisited tours. I'm not entirely confident it would because I'm not sure ELP's early 70s music would translate across time and generations the same way, or that it holds quite the same level of reverence among the hard core progheads. But watching this did get me thinking...
    I've seen him four times over the last few years (no cruises for me!) and I consider him must-see, but what's he's been doing is right now in my musical wheelhouse but I'm not as much as a purist with this music as some.

That said. Hackett's gigs seem to be more well attended and are higher profile, but I consider myself lucky to see Carl Palmer in these intimate venues.

Must.....resist.....commenting........

(hey, relative to usual when it comes to Palmer.....not bad!)

On my way to Talking Stick Resort now...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-