Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Toto- any fans?

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Isolation, the follow-up to IV, is probably the hardest thing they'd ever done. It was like they were trying to apologize for the overt adult contemporary pop of IV. I liked it but fans of IV were a bit put if I recall correctly.
    I dunno. Isolation is pretty slick, with Yamaha DX-7 all over it. I think Kingdom of Desire is "harder" and more raw - at least, by Toto standards.

And Fergie Frederiksen (R.I.P.) is their worst singer, IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

This thread inspired me to take out my copy of the "Live In Poland" CD. I really like it, but I don't know if I like it so much that I want to go out and buy all of their albums. I will consider buying the new album, if I like what I hear of it. Looking forward to the Yes/Toto summer tour! Maybe, seeing them live will get me more interested in them.

Library Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    he didn't really fit into the band. he was a perfect fit for “isolation” which is a peculiarity in the band's discography.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    What about that Jean-Michel Byron guy or whatever his name was? I never heard him...
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    What about that Jean-Michel Byron guy or whatever his name was? I never heard him...
    Ugh. Yeah, forgot about him. Can't believe that Jeff Porcaro lobbied for that guy. I love hearing Lukather talk about him - man, does he hate him!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    feast your eyes. gross mis-step – he's clearly on the wrong stage.

^
    Sort of epitomizes what I dislike and like about Toto; bland and uninteresting tune with a great solo. The two new tracks haven't knocked me out either, sounds so much like stuff they've already done to death. Love the band, not nearly as crazy about the tunes (with barely enough exceptions for me to never entirely write them off).

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    ^
    Sort of epitomizes what I dislike and like about Toto; bland and uninteresting tune with a great solo. The two new tracks haven't knocked me out either, sounds so much like stuff they've already done to death. Love the band, not nearly as crazy about the tunes (with barely enough exceptions for me to never entirely write them off).
    spot on assessment. this is their absolute apex of blandness (of which there had, admittedly, been plenty before) and they were quick enough to realise just that. while i do enjoy a slick and funky groove MjB’s shtick (a much loved word of mine that i learned on my PE) is a bit irritating to my senses. both sides took the wrong turn in their collab and – given the point in time – MjB should have been a fully-fledged solo artist. he could have filled the void that terence trent d’arby left behind when his solo success skyrocketed him to the highest levels of loopiness this side of the artist then still known as prince…

if you look at the commentary below this yt-clip – MjB personally chips in and voices his opinion. he’s not really to blame.

Brand new Toto song from their upcoming Greatest Hits collection:

Ankle biters.

Not a fan but like......

Love Isn't Always On Time (Wo Wo Wo)......

More information on the new album: https://theseconddisc.com/2017/11/ho...e-in-february/

Another new track from Toto - sounds like a hybrid of "Africa" and "I'll be over you".:

Nice. Fits in well with what they've been doing on the last two albums.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I see the title of the album is 40 Trips Around the Sun. I wonder if they know about The Grateful Dead box set 30 Trips Around the Sun? Too bad the Dead couldn't have included shows from their 50 years and called it 50 Trips Around the Sun.

On youtube:

For Africa, Hold the Line, Rosanna, as far as vocally top-tier covers go, the band Child's Anthem for sure. Also, for the last two, Lexington Lab Band and Dan Vasc. A few others too.

The only Toto album (cd) I have is 4 (IV). I probably should get another one at some point. Maybe the debut.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 08-11-2022 at 09:36 PM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Not a fan but like......

Love Isn't Always On Time (Wo Wo Wo)......

Umm... that song title would be Hold The Line

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Does anybody remember a few years ago when a PE'er called them "musos"?
    That, or maybe they said it music for musos. Anyway, someone at PE got really pissed off but I don't remember who exactly but I think it was someone who easily triggered. Anyone?

That, or maybe they said it music for musos. Anyway, someone at PE got really pissed off but I don't remember who exactly but I think it was someone who easily triggered. Anyone?
    Sean, Cozy, and Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Sean, Cozy, and Duncan
    Shots fired