Thread: Like to get back into Vinyl-recommedations wanted i.e. turntable,needle etc....HELP!!

Like to get back into Vinyl-recommedations wanted i.e. turntable,needle etc....HELP!!

Want to get back to listening to vinyl. Asking for input as to what to buy for a new turntable and cartridge needle. Cant afford alot so recommendations for a reasonably priced rig that performs well is what I am looking for. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. It has been a long time since i have spun some vinyl and really want to do so again. Thanks for any help...

Dave
    Last edited by HONDO; 01-09-2015 at 03:04 AM.

how bout a little help here from some of my cosmic brothers

Sorry for lack of constructive advice - but it is Friday.

I'd be happy to help, but can you give me a little more information about your budget, the rest of your stereo system, etc.?

Buying a turntable is the LEAST of your expenses, these days. New records are $20-30 each!

Or more! But many are less. There is also a huge used market.

Look to the used market for lots of deals. Turntables have been around for decades, and there are lots of older models that still perform wonderfully. check out things at Audiogon.com, but don't be scared off by many high priced items there. Just stick to your budget.

And whatever you do, don;t buy brand new mas market plastic crap, with built in USB connections and such. THAT is truly a waste of money.

find a used record store nearby. records are generally $5 and less there, and they may have a supply of old turntables that they will professionally set up for you to optomize performance.

Good luck.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Thanks for the input, I guess I will shop around online. Being there are not many used record shops in my area if any. And I doubt that there is any equipment shops around. I am willing to spend about $150 to $200 for a rig. What makes and models should I be looking for???

Quote Originally Posted by HONDO View Post
    Thanks for the input, I guess I will shop around online. Being there are not many used record shops in my area if any. And I doubt that there is any equipment shops around. I am willing to spend about $150 to $200 for a rig. What makes and models should I be looking for???
    Hey Hondo,
    My belief is that your price range isn't going to get you much in the way of a "decent" turntable. You may have to go up about $100 to the $250-300 range which will get you a much better table. Check out the "Projekt" line which have very good entry-level tables. Also, U-Turn Audio have a great table called the "Orbit" which are high-quality, low cost. You may want to check out some older used tables at a stereo store as sometimes you can pick up a great table for 1/2 or 1/3 of the price that someone may have traded in on their path to upgrade.

I have 4 tables and all so far are used. I have a Dual CS450 here at the store with an "Ortofon" Red cartridge and I'm really happy with it. I have a Rotel table at home with a "Grado" cartridge and also a Techincs table at home as well as a Sony.
    Other good names if you're looking used in a "small-ish" budget are Yamaha, Dual, Technics, Rega.

As far as new vinyl, yes it's definitely more than years ago but the quality is higher, the pressings are thicker and in general, more care is going into the production. If you have any more questions, please PM me if you like. Oh and don't get discouraged by the negative-attitude members on this thread/site.

Happy listening.
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

You might try looking around at Goodwill Stores and flea markets, also pawn shops. You'd be surprised what you might find. There's a guy on YT I watch ever so often that lives in Gainesville, FL. and he buys some used stuff, but doesn't go into where he bought it all. But I assume some is picked up at GW etc.

If you want a super cheapo way to play vinyl, you can always buy something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Jensen-JTA-230...+record+player

If you want a fairly inexpensive component turntable, you can a new one like this (which is about the same as mine), you can get something like this (free shipping too): http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP...+record+player

Sherwood makes pretty good amp/receivers (It's what I have.) This is new stuff, and I prefer to buy it that way: http://www.amazon.com/Sherwood-RX-41...tuner+receiver

The trouble with Goodwill records is their condition.

If you have an amplifier with a built-in phono stage, I would suggest the U-Turn Orbit ($180).

If you do not have an amplifier with a built-in phono stage, I would suggest the Music Hall USB-1. At $250 this is out of your price range but it does come equipped with a built-in phono preamp which you are going to need to use your turntable.

I would not be looking at used turntables because if you are inexperienced I don't think you want to be wasting your time dealing with old belts, busted motors, etc.

Good luck, and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    The trouble with Goodwill records is their condition.
    You have too look them over for sure, but if you can pick them up cheaply enough (around a buck or so) that's worth it even if there's a scratch or so. Generally you can tell what sort of shape it is in by looking--does it still have a sharp cover, is the vinyl in good shape, etc.

This would be a good store to go shopping at: http://www.yelp.com/biz/arrows-aim-records-gainesville

absolutely buy used ... your local Kijiji should have plenty of options available.

You couldn't really go wrong with a used Technics direct drive... models like the SL-Q2 are in your price range, built like tanks, and have most of the performance of the much costlier SL-1200 Mk2

As others have stated, your budget would be helpful, as well as the other equipment you have.

To start with, most modern receivers and amps do not have built in phono preamps to compensate for RIAA the curve. These can be somewhat costly themselves.

I would also recommend going used. There are always good deals on great tables on Ebay.

For example: there is a Luxman PD264 with a Grace tonearm and a Stanton cartridge (the weakest part of the deal) on Ebay now. This should go for about $300 and will sound better than anything you could get new for that price. But this is not the only good deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Luxman-PD264...item19fa1dba3f

You should also figure on getting a decent record cleaning machine, since a good part of your record purchases will most likely be used.

Something like the Record Doctor for $199.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RDV
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Here's another cheaper unit at Best Buy, and all you would need to add is a turntable: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia...&skuId=8930604

Here's a Record Show calender for 2015: http://www.goldminemag.com/news/gold...&rid=242295051

If it's used vinyl ye seek, keep an eye on the Trading Post forum..Will be adding a huge lot of LP's up soon for sale, hopefully around 1.000 or so..Instant Collection!!

**Last lot I sold was a 600 piece collection for $160 !! Buyer was very satisfied..

Thanks to all of you and your input. I have an old Kenwood stereo I bought in 1988. Still kicks ass, and came with a turntable, so I assume that the amp has a built in phone pre amp, if it played records before, (at least it did years ago!). But i moved and the turntable got beat into submission. Been years since I have heard the warmth and beauty of Vinyl. Keep the suggestions a coming please I will go as high as $250 or so...
    Thanks again for all of your great help...

The Audio Technica AT-LP120 is a bit higher than your price range, but not much. It is an absolutely superb turntable.

Do *NOT* rip vinyl on it using the USB hookup. It will sound like shit. Just enjoy the absolutely fantastic sound it provides. Also, sounds like you wouldn't need the preamp, but it's there if you ever do need one. And if you ever desire to rip vinyl, you can just do it through your amp with the right hookup.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica...nica+turntable