Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: John Zorn

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Have you heard all 32?
    Yes, but only because Zorn has been one of my ongoing concerns since I was a teenager. Most of his stuff I pick up eventually, but I still only have about half his work. The Book of Angels really pulled me in though, so I made 'em an auto buy.

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Yikes. "Autobuy" + "John Zorn" = "living in a refrigerator box on the street."

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    What about the "Book of Angels" series? There are, at least, 32 of them -- any recommendations?
    https://www.discogs.com/label/227295-Book-Of-Angels
    Since you like the Masada String Trio, their two entries in this series sound like the first step. You might also enjoy the Bar Kokhba Sextet, as it's the Masada String Trio augmented with Guitar, Drums, and percussion.

Personally, I like the ones that stray (or try to) stray from the 'normal' Masada ethos. So I'd recommend Vol. 7 (by Marc Ribot), Vol. 13 & Vol. 25 (by Mycale, a voice only group), Vol. 11 (Medeski Martin & Wood), Vol. 20 (Pat Metheny), Vol. 32 (Mary Halvorson), and Vol. 14 (The Dreamers, not so much different from the norm, just very very good).
    No humor please, we're skittish.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

Yikes. "Autobuy" + "John Zorn" = "living in a refrigerator box on the street."
    Well, I have lived in my car, but that was unconnected to the music habit. Working for a series of promo receiving music stores in my youth helped. I have been lucky in my adult years so no box yet. Give it time! I'll have to steal batteries for a CD boom box.

Could be worse, I could be a Buckethead fanatic...
    Last edited by SunshipVoyager1976; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:56 PM.

I've found nothing bad in Book of Angels or Book Ber'iah, but the range is huge, from classical to salsa to big band to experimental to... Some recommendations:

Book of Angels:
    Vol 6, Moloch - Uri Caine, solo piano, improv
    Vol 8, Volac - Erik Friedlander, jazz cellist, solo
    Vol 9, Xaphan - Secret Chiefs 3, one of SC3's best
    Vol 10, Lucifer - credited just to Zorn, goes in many directions
    Vol 17, Caym - Banquet of the Spirits, built around Cyro Baptista, Brazilian percussionist. From this, I've followed a lot of Baptista's work.
    Vol 21, Alastor - Evynd Kang, violist, very eclectic. Kang has played on several Secret Chiefs 3 albums; the influence is apparent.
    Vol 22, Adramelech - Zion80, big band that grew from rock power trio Rashanim
    Vol 23, Aguares - Roberto Rodriguez, Cuban salsa and klezmer fusion
    Vol 24, Amon - Klezmerson, Mexican big-band salsa klezmer fusion
    Vol 26, Cerberus - Spike Orchestra, big band
    Vol 31, Brian Marsella - modern jazz and lots of fun

Book Ber'iah:
    Vol 1, Keter - Sofia Rei, mezzo soprano, sings in Spanish, very skilled in jazz and Latin American singing
    Vol 4, Chesed - Julian Lage and Gian Riley - classical guitar duo
    Vol 6, Klezmerson - Mexican big-band sals klezmer fusion
    Vol 7, Netzach - Gnostic Trio - guitar (Bill Frisell), harp, vibraphone; generally introspective
    Vol 8, Zio80 - big band that grew from rock power trio Rashanim
    Vol 9, Yesod - Banquet of the Spirits, more Cyro Baptista
    Vol 10, Malkhut - Secret Chiefs 3

Really, there's nothing bad or even mediocre in any volume of either series
    Last edited by MissKittysMom; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:34 PM.
    I think the subtext is rapidly becoming text.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    ^ Actually Lucifer is by the Bar Kokhba Sextet.

I somehow forgot Vol. 9 in my list above, which was a large oversite on my part.
    No humor please, we're skittish.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by MissKittysMom View Post
    I've found nothing bad in Book of Angels or Book Ber'iah, but the range is huge,

Really, there's [nothing] bad or even mediocre in any volume of either series
    Fixed that for you!

Fixed that for you!
    Thank you. (sigh) (brain fart)

What's astonishing about the Zorn stuff is not just the QUANTITY of it -- which is astonishing -- and not just the QUALITY of it -- which is also astonishing -- but mostly the incredible RANGE of it all. There is so much variety and so many different approaches and different instrumentations and different genres and different feels... There is no defining characteristic that makes it "John Zorn music."

I mean, can you think of anything that links extremes like these, except the name on the cover?

Just a couple more observations.

One, that Masada String Trio 50th birthday (for Zorn) linked above is one of the most fantastic recordings I've ever heard. The dynamism and realism are startling. The strings have so much bite you can taste the rosin in the air. The applause between tracks is right in front of you, and you can tell how many people were there and how hard each one was clapping. The bass tells you exactly how big the instrument is because you can hear the body of it resonating. Fabulous.

Two, exploring the "Book of Angels" series led me to discover the Cracow Klezmer Band. My goodness, what an ensemble! They play traditional klezmer music but with many modern, even "alternative" techniques which take it into whole new realms. The quartet consists of clarinet, violin, accordion and bass, and oh my what a racket they put out.

You might want to check out New Klezmer Trio on Zorn's Tzadik label as well. Melt Zonk Rewire is a pretty cool album. Ben Goldberg from Tin Hat on clarinet. Kenny Wollesen on drums.

Woo-hoo will do.

Also note that the Cracow Klezmer Band is now renamed the Bester Quartet, and continues to play great music. Also on Tzadik.

Yes, the Book of Angels series also led me to a lot of new music; Book Ber'iah has done the same. I've started exploring the "Radical Jewish Culture" section of Tzadik's web site, and found much more. Hit the "RJC" link at the top of the home page. I've picked up a number of those albums, with many more hits than misses. Just from the first few listed:

Ahava Raba - "Kete Kuf"
    Aaron Alexander - "Midrash Mish Mosh"
    Artichaut Orkestra - "T for Teresa"
    AutorYno - "Pastrami Bagel Social Club"
    Rob Burger - "Lost Photograph"
    David Bruchbinder - "Odessa/Havana"
    Ty Citerman - "Bop Kabbalah"

Woo-hoo will do.

My Zorn channel on Pandora has already thrown many new discoveries in my face:
    • Anouar Brahem
    • Rolf Lislevand
    • The Bad Plus
    • Erik Friedlander
    • Ben Allison
    • Rob Burger
    • Avishai Cohen
    • Seth Ford-Young

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    You might want to check out New Klezmer Trio on Zorn's Tzadik label as well. Melt Zonk Rewire is a pretty cool album. Ben Goldberg from Tin Hat on clarinet. Kenny Wollesen on drums.

One of the "Book of Angels" discs is by the Ben Goldberg Quartet. I hadn't made the connection to Tin Hat Trio. Wait, THT includes Rob Burger. Plain old Tin Hat includes Ben Goldberg.

Big fan of John Zorn here.

I prefer the later works. These are my favorite Zorn releases...

Dictée Liber Novus, from 2010 (quite avantgarde and experimental)

Interzone (quite avantgarde, but you can find a lot of genres on this album...prog, free jazz, musique concrete, electronica...).

Dreamachines - Frenetic avant jazz album and IMO, the best Nova Express album (And the most experimental too).

Transmigration Of The Magus . What a beautiful album. A tribute to Lou Reed. It is the Gnostic Trio augmented with another vibraphone and another harpist, plus John Medeski.

Simulacrum. Organ with guitar and drums.

Insurrection...100% prog (imagine a modern version of King Crimson circa "Red").

John Zorn - Secret Chiefs 3 - Xaphan (Book Of Angels Volume 9).

John Zorn - Medeski Martin & Wood - Zaebos (Book Of Angels Volume 11)

Music Romance Volume Two: Taboo And Exile. Exotica, hardcore punk, classical, jazz, surf and world narration. Zorn 100%

Electric Masada ‎– At The Mountains Of Madness. I saw these ensemble in concert an it was incredible. Probably the best introduction to Zorn Universe.

Other albums I like a lot: Big Gundown, Spillane, IAO, NAked City - Absinthe, Bar Kokhba - Lucifer (Book Of Angels Volume 10) ‎, John Zorn & The Dreamers - Ipos (Book Of Angels Volume 14), Zion80 - Adramelech: Book Of Angels Volume 22.

And still a lot of music to be discovered....