Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Neal Morse: The Grand Experiment

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I can tell you from experience, it costs at least that.
    You mean it might cost more than $5.66 ? Not in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Ah, but that's such a blessing.
    LOL. I meant to say he rubs them on HIS bum.

I don't quite understand the point of leaving Spock's Beard if you're just going to write and produce music that sounds like it could be from Spock's Beard?

That's just his style, it follows him wherever he goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jondon4 View Post
    I don't quite understand the point of leaving Spock's Beard if you're just going to write and produce music that sounds like it could be from Spock's Beard?
    It's better this way.

His music sounds like Spock's Beard because when he was in the band he was the primary writer. My guess is that he left Spock's Beard to write more overtly Christian themed lyrics and didn't want to push his fundamentalist beliefs on others in the band. Or it could be something else entirely

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    His music sounds like Spock's Beard because when he was in the band he was the primary writer. My guess is that he left Spock's Beard to write more overtly Christian themed lyrics and didn't want to push his fundamentalist beliefs on others in the band. Or it could be something else entirely
    I would put it another way and say he wanted more artistic freedom to sing about what was in his heart, his love for God and wanting to express that without trying to veil or abstract his thoughts and emotions due to other band members disagreeing, as is their prerogative in a band setting. A solo artist does not have those constraints.

When Neal left Spock's, he didn't know what he would do next. He didn't know if he'd do a solo thing, or leave music altogether, or what. He just knew that God (as he puts it) was calling him to leave Spock's and he resisted for a long time because it obviously was an insane move to make for all of the other reasons. But eventually he gave in and followed the guidance he was hearing and he left Spock's, even though it broke his heart on one level.

Then he was called to write Testimony, and on it went, and of course that material will sound close to Spock's since he was the main songwriter for Spock's. But as others have said above, he wouldn't have wanted to force his Jesus-focused lyrics on the Spock's band or fans, so he did it on his own and those who wanted to followed him there, while others criticized him and/or made fun of him following his faith.

It's been well over a decade now, and so we see Neal coming around and writing much less overtly-religious lyrics in his solo albums, rejoining TA, and forming FC which hardly has any religious overtones at all. I expect he will follow "the call" wherever it takes him in any given moment, but overall his trajectory is obviously currently in a more-accessible area. If for some reason Ted left Spock's, it wouldn't surprise me if Neal even rejoined them...not that I expect that will actually happen, just saying that's how far around he seems to have come. It's enlivening seeing him continue to be inspired by his faith, but making more and more accessible music for the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    When Neal left Spock's, he didn't know what he would do next. He didn't know if he'd do a solo thing, or leave music altogether, or what. He just knew that God (as he puts it) was calling him to leave Spock's and he resisted for a long time because it obviously was an insane move to make for all of the other reasons. But eventually he gave in and followed the guidance he was hearing and he left Spock's, even though it broke his heart on one level.

Then he was called to write Testimony, and on it went, and of course that material will sound close to Spock's since he was the main songwriter for Spock's. But as others have said above, he wouldn't have wanted to force his Jesus-focused lyrics on the Spock's band or fans, so he did it on his own and those who wanted to followed him there, while others criticized him and/or made fun of him following his faith.

It's been well over a decade now, and so we see Neal coming around and writing much less overtly-religious lyrics in his solo albums, rejoining TA, and forming FC which hardly has any religious overtones at all. I expect he will follow "the call" wherever it takes him in any given moment, but overall his trajectory is obviously currently in a more-accessible area. If for some reason Ted left Spock's, it wouldn't surprise me if Neal even rejoined them...not that I expect that will actually happen, just saying that's how far around he seems to have come. It's enlivening seeing him continue to be inspired by his faith, but making more and more accessible music for the masses.
    I've a feeling the current members of SB might disagree with your assessment, inasmuch as his returning to the band.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Welcome, Mike!
    Thanks Sean!
    A lot of months reading the forum...but I thought that it was a great option to register when I preordered the album. I have some other CDs with the Neal and his people sign, but I would like to have his new musical adventure! Let's see...

Spock's Beard sounded like Neal because Neal was the main songwriter and was instrumental in the overall sound of the band. That is not a knock on the other members of the band as I am sure they would all acknowledge how big a part he played into what SB was at that time. Note how SB changed immediately after he left. So in truth, Neal is not continuing to make albums that sound like Spock's Beard, he is continuing to make albums that sound like Neal.

Earlier in this thread, I asked people who were critical of the Neal sound to provide examples of artists who significantly change their sound from album to album. So far, there haven't really been any responders to that, so it would be interesting to see some suggestions. Also, in fairness to Neal, he has made pop albums & country/bluesy/folk albums, but yes, there is a Neal sound, no doubt. Then again, there is a McCartney sound as well, so Neal is in good company.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Just preordered the special edition. Hope I'm one of the first 100 so Neal will sign it and recommend a chapter of scripture!
    He's still doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    He's still doing that?
    He'd better be!

We had to have this at the Prog awards in September and to be honest, just dont think it fitted the event

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Well, I'll have to listen to this later, but I wasn't crazy about Momentum or Kaleidescope. I thought Shine was the worst song I've ever heard from any of those musicians (which is really saying something, even though I'm a big fan of most of their other projects and loved TA before that album). Sappy, sickly sweet, derivative, and a feeling that they were just going through the motions (no emotional impact at all, unlike the title track from Bridge, which even though I don't much care for the song, you can hear Neal putting his heart and soul into it). Even Roine's guitar solo lacked fire, though it's the least "bad" part of the song for me.

All that said, I'm willing to give this one a chance (the whole album, not just this single). The guy has created a lot of my favorite music since the turn of the millennium (and a few years before that, as well), so I'm still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. However, his "formula" IS starting to get old for me (and seems to have infected TA on the last album as well, IMO).

In my never to be humble opinion, Spock's Beard currently has the best lead vocalist they've had in their career. No need to go backwards.

Obviously Neal and Al are brothers and will always love each other and want to do musical things together, but I don't see a reformation of SBv1 ever happening on a permanent basis. And both sides are probably perfectly content with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I don't understand why Rich Mouser doesn't get more higher-profile gigs. His work is always stellar.
    He does. He's just quiet about it. He is one hell of a great guitarist as well. His wife is an absolutely AMAZING jazz flautist and singer... and hot. Rich is one of my very favorite people. Nicest and most humble dude on Earth.

Mike has let the cat out of the bag so I can now talk about one of the most entertaining tunes on the bonus CD. They did a cover of MacArthur Park. It is great but I can't stop laughing when I hear it. "Someone left my cake out in the rain, and I don't think that I can take it, 'cause it took so long to bake it, and I'll never have that recipe again!" It got the FULL DELUX MEGA PROG treatment. Best Prog cover ever!

When I first heard the song, Randy came in and thought I was sobbing over something. He said, what's the matter? with great concern. I turned to him with tears (of laughter) in my eyes and said, "SOMEONE LEFT MY CAKE OUT IN THE RAIN. . .)

The original by Richard Harris
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRwYQgk05DY

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Can't believe you went there, so obvious, so silly.
    So round, so fully packed.
    The older I get, the better I was.

some reviews are beginning to appear ,and they are lyrical ,as i said earlier a total autobuy for me

I didn't care for Testimony and gave his next release a try and was less into that one. So I gave up on Neal's work. I respect him for making what seemed like a very difficult decision to leave SB because he didn't want to force his religious opinions on the other members or on the SB fan base. If that's the real reason for his leaving then I have respect for him for that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I didn't care for Testimony and gave his next release a try and was less into that one. So I gave up on Neal's work. I respect him for making what seemed like a very difficult decision to leave SB because he didn't want to force his religious opinions on the other members or on the SB fan base. If that's the real reason for his leaving then I have respect for him for that decision.
    And if God phoned and told him he needed a change of scenery would that change your mind?

Scottam writes
    "
    It's been well over a decade now, and so we see Neal coming around and writing much less overtly-religious lyrics in his solo albums, rejoining TA, and forming FC which hardly has any religious overtones at all. I expect he will follow "the call" wherever it takes him in any given moment, but overall his trajectory is obviously currently in a more-accessible area."

Money talks, bullsh*t walks.

Bullshit makes the flowers grow, too much makes them overflow.

My copy is on its way, but probably delayed by the weather. Also, Radiant uses some cheap-ass method of delivery to begin with, so they take forever.

Have people who preordered received this yet? Still waiting on mine but received a shipping or stamps.com notice anyway Jan 23. I suppose the weather could be delaying it.

I received a "your order has been shipped" e-mail on the 23rd, but since they're using USPS, it can't be tracked. I haven't received it yet - no idea why. It shouldn't take a week and a half.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The "shipped" email just means a label was printed. the cd is not out until 2/10, I believe.