Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Most Beautiful Song Ever Written

Most Beautiful Song Ever Written

Listening to some streaming classic music and just heard a violin and piano duet of "Ave Maria."

Could that be the most beautiful song ever written?

Another favorite is Albinoni's "Adagio." Great version here:

Forgive me, if we recently had a similar thread.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

It's impossible to chose one "most beautiful" song. There are hundreds. Franz Schubert died at age 31, and he wrote several hundered songs. Some people loathe classical vocals, but I don't. Here's an orchestral arrangement of Alban Berg's Nacht, sung by Anne Sophie Von Otter.

There are hundreds of beautiful French melodies. Veronique Gens has recorded several excellent albums.

Also lots of great stuff by Mahler, Schoenberg, Benjamin Britten, and "early music" composers such as Monteverdi, Heinrich Schutz.

A beautiful song.Arvo Part-Summa For Strings

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    My vote goes to:
    George Gershwin - Prelude No.2

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    My vote goes to:
    George Gershwin - Prelude No.2
    That is a beauty! I have the three preludes on an old Vox Box by violinist Elmar Oliveira.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    My brothers' old piano teacher claimed that Greensleeves was somehow technically the most perfect piece of music ever written.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    My brothers' old piano teacher claimed that Greensleeves was somehow technically the most perfect piece of music ever written.
    A million friggin' Mr Whippy vans can't be wrong.

Talk about killing a song through over-exposure. I seem to remember that it was also a favourite in the early days of telephone ring-tones. That is, a favourite of the people who made the ring-tones, not necessarily of those forced to listen to them.

It goes without saying that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder... or in this case, the ears of the behearer.

To my behearing ears, Stravinsky's second movement of The Firebird Suite is absolutely beautiful!

God only knows-Beach Boys

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    God only knows-Beach Boys
    good call.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Definitely in the ears of the behearer

Included for me would be:

Brian Wilson - Child Is The Father of the Man
    Genesis - Evidence of Autumn, Ripples
    Yes - Soon, Turn of the Century

Some classical instrumental works:

Delius - Brigg Fair
    Sinding - Rustles of Spring
    Banks - Blade

When I saw the movie "Moulin Rouge" for the first time I was very much impressed by the song "Nature Boy" (I believe it was sung by David Bowie). I didn't know the song by then, but found out there are very much interpretation of this composition by Eden Ahbez.

^'Nature Boy' goes way back- Nat 'King' Cole had a hit with that in the late 40s.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^'Nature Boy' goes way back- Nat 'King' Cole had a hit with that in the late 40s.
    Yeah, that's why I added the link to a wiki-page in the song-title ;-)

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Definitely in the ears of the behearer

Included for me would be:

Brian Wilson - Child Is The Father of the Man
    Genesis - Evidence of Autumn, Ripples
    Yes - Soon, Turn of the Century

Some classical instrumental works:

Delius - Brigg Fair
    Sinding - Rustles of Spring
    Banks - Blade
    Hmmm. We have similar tastes!

I think "Child" is perhaps the best moment on SMiLE. "Turn of the Century" is magnificent. And "Rustle of Spring" was one of my favourites when I was learning piano.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Yep... and he sang the melody right.

^I think he sang a few other songs that are definitely contenders here- 'Mona Lisa', 'When I Fall In Love', 'Too Young'...

NKC's version of "When I fall in love" was our wedding song.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Hmmm. We have similar tastes!

I think "Child" is perhaps the best moment on SMiLE. "Turn of the Century" is magnificent. And "Rustle of Spring" was one of my favourites when I was learning piano.
    I heard Rustles from a piano instructor as well (not mine, I should have had lessons though!) and it nearly brought tears to my eyes. The first time I ever heard 'Child', was when Smile was being played the day of its release in a cd store in 2004, and I lost it. Had to go into a corner and try to get a grip on my emotions, I think I was shaking, absolutely floored. I knew Brian was good, but I don't think I've ever been so moved in my life, as I was that moment. Absolutely brilliant, the way 'Wonderful' led into 'Song For Children' and culminating with 'Child...'

For you Beach Boys/Brian Wilson fans (and sorry to derail the thread, but not entirely):

XTC once recorded an LP and an EP under a different name, The Dukes of Stratosphear. It was a bunch of pastiches of various psychedelic/pop '60s bands. Some were easier to identify than others, but I think the best tune out of the bunch was (obviously) their homage to The Beach Boys. Though moments of it are more like a parody, I think the core of the tune actually does the BB justice and I think Brian Wilson would approve. And btw, I think it's beautiful.

Last edited by No Pride; 01-07-2015 at 02:25 PM.

Honestly the first thing that came to mind was Stewart/Gaskin - As Far As Dreams Can Go.

Barbara's voice cuts through me like butter and the song is silky smooth.

Also give a nod to Phideaux -Crumble with Valerie's fine vocal performance and flowing piano
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    For you Beach Boys/Brian Wilson fans (and sorry to derail the thread, but not entirely):

XTC once recorded an LP and an EP under a different name, The Dukes of Stratosphear. It was a bunch of pastiches of various psychedelic/pop '60s bands. Some were easier to identify than others, but I think the best tune out of the bunch was (obviously) their homage to The Beach Boys. Though moments of it are more like a parody, I think the core of the tune actually does the BB justice and I think Brian Wilson would approve.

Funny, I just listened to that the other night. I really enjoyed the album as a whole. The BB tune, 'Pale and Precious' I feel is pretty good, but somehow didn't quite have the emotion that it maybe could have? I think XTC captured a lot more with tracks like 'Easter Theatre', 'You Can't Own Her', 'Rook', 'I Remember The Sun', and 'The Good Things'.

However, 'Tears For Fears' tune, 'Brian Wilson Said' I think is really excellent, and in fact is probably my favorite TFF song ever.

in keeping with the classical bias of this thread: