Thread: Musical Fringes

Musical Fringes

Well Happy New Year fellow appreciative Music Fans!

I just finished listening to a recording by the band Paris Combo and wanted to share a few thoughts....

As mentioned in a post last week - I'll be turning 54 yrs in a few weeks. I started this extremely pleasant musical journey at about 8-10 years old. I can recall a small handheld sized portable radio which I would listen to as it was hidden under my pillow in the late night. WOW! That was a long time ago -

So much music -and as I laugh with some wonderful music friends in Canada - 'I'll NEVER get to it all'

Just wanted to throw out some band names, recording artists 'on the fringe' that grabbed my attention in some way! I would guess that a good majority of folks here know exactly what I mean. Perhaps a unique female vocalist, non traditional instrumentation used or featured, known boundary pushing compositions, sufficient musical nods to their influences etc etc.

Are these 'Progressive' Bands? Hmmmm.... Depends!

In several aspects, I find myself 'passing the baton' to younger folks. Maybe somewhere throughout my following list someone might find that 'something' moves YOU the new listener as well. Certainly have several friends, scattered about, who turned me on to some new tunage over the years. Maybe it's time to pass along some bands the same way in kind....

These are off the top of my head. Tomorrow, when I look at my collection, perhaps I will post some more.

Beat Circus
    Dave Willey
    Paris Combo
    Club Foot Orchestra
    the movie 'Bullit' soundtrack
    Bernard Falaise
    Charming Hostesses

.... 'Good Day'.....

Chris Buckley
    Last edited by winkersnufs; 01-04-2015 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Spell Check

Who cares if they're "progressive," one of the joys of music is there is always a new sound out there to be discovered and cherished.

The Bobs--acapella group, make pretty fun music.

Dave Willey (either with Thinking Plague, Hamster Theatre or his own Willey & Friends), Charming Hostess and Beat Circus - these are all exquisite artists within modern "leftfield" progressive. Not that it matters; GREAT musical vision involved here!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Shut Up and Sing! has some stone-cold classics.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

[these are all exquisite artists within modern "leftfield" progressive. ]

Well if these are in the left field then who's on the right field? And please no who's on first jokes.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    [these are all exquisite artists within modern "leftfield" progressive. ]

Well if these are in the left field then who's on the right field?
    "Progressive" artists who aren't presenting progressive music but are still the main object of "prog" media, discussion forums etc.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Hello Again -

...and as I listened to this band this evening....

L;Orchestre Des Pas Perdus (featuring a gentleman we know about on drums - Remi LeClerc (from Miriodor).

Till Next Time..

Chris Buckley

Quote Originally Posted by winkersnufs View Post
    L;Orchestre Des Pas Perdus (featuring a gentleman we know about on drums - Remi LeClerc (from Miriodor).

Seldom mentioned, but very good indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Who cares if they're "progressive," .
    You do! Wake up and taste the smell of the joe.

Circus Contraption
    Fifty Foot Combo
    The PrimeTime Sublime Community Orchestra

Krispin Hartung with help from his kids: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/krispen8 I have this CD and actually enjoy it.

Hello There Davis -

Thanks Quite a Lot for your suggestions! I checked into each at You Tube and 'WOW' some very interesting stuff there. HA! Just an odd thought....is some of the music, considered rather 'outside', such as Henry Cow, Thinking Plague, Aranis, Etc Etc... REALLY so 'out there' after all???? Sometimes I wonder! So Much passes by relatively unheard of nor listened to!

Here's another from last nights listening session :

Brian Woodbury Variety Orchestra

Chris Buckley

Just an odd thought....is some of the music, considered rather 'outside', such as Henry Cow, Thinking Plague, Aranis, Etc Etc... REALLY so 'out there' after all????
    No, they're not. It's essentially ALL about "habitus", and at least the overall fringe expression acknowledges its own position. Artists/music exhibiting a bizarre lack of cultural self-insight, however - those are 'out there'; and not in a particularly positive sense, IMO.

Hello There Davis -

Thanks Quite a Lot for your suggestions! I checked into each at You Tube and 'WOW' some very interesting stuff there. HA! Just an odd thought....is some of the music, considered rather 'outside', such as Henry Cow, Thinking Plague, Aranis, Etc Etc... REALLY so 'out there' after all???? Sometimes I wonder! So Much passes by relatively unheard of nor listened to!

Here's another from last nights listening session :

Brian Woodbury Variety Orchestra

Chris Buckley
    Nice to be one of the IN crowd eh? Them Jazzbeards are possibly a fringe band in their genre. Looking forward to seeing them again after 3 or 4 years. I will record it...just a reminder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_Z2ujM1czM
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature