Thread: Pay the artist

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

Pay the artist

We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I think we are seeing a return to patronage. Obviously crowdfunding is a variant of that model but I could see just going to a rich person and saying basically, "Pay me and I'll make music to order for you, and no one else will have it if you don't feel like giving it to them." And the unwashed masses will have the free idiots on Youtube.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    I was telling Tom Gagliardi this story and he related it to Gayle of Djam Karet in a phone interview: I had a friend once who I am no longer friends with because he is a huge dickhead. During a visit, he was talking about Napster and how all music will one day be free and I thought to myself "I don't want music free". I want to pay for music. I do not think it is right that people who would freak out if you asked them to do their day jobs for free believe musicians should work for free. The thing keeping bands from hanging it up and going to do something more profitable, such as landscaping or being consultants for weapons systems or working at airports, is making some kind of money off of their music. As it is, there are many bands who have day jobs and are working musicians because they need the one to pay the bills because the other does not.

I do not get the justification some folks have for pirating stuff. I have run into people who claim by taking music for free is somehow helping the artist by sticking it to the record company executives. I find that about as logical as killing off a flower bed entirely because there are some weeds.

If a band wants to give away music, that is their prerogative. I think it is wrong for someone to make the decision for them without their permission.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

^ I couldn't add anything to this - that sums it up well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    I was telling Tom Gagliardi this story and he related it to Gayle of Djam Karet in a phone interview: I had a friend once who I am no longer friends with because he is a huge dickhead. During a visit, he was talking about Napster and how all music will one day be free and I thought to myself "I don't want music free". I want to pay for music. I do not think it is right that people who would freak out if you asked them to do their day jobs for free believe musicians should work for free. The thing keeping bands from hanging it up and going to do something more profitable, such as landscaping or being consultants for weapons systems or working at airports, is making some kind of money off of their music. As it is, there are many bands who have day jobs and are working musicians because they need the one to pay the bills because the other does not.

I do not get the justification some folks have for pirating stuff. I have run into people who claim by taking music for free is somehow helping the artist by sticking it to the record company executives. I find that about as logical as killing off a flower bed entirely because there are some weeds.

If a band wants to give away music, that is their prerogative. I think it is wrong for someone to make the decision for them without their permission.
    Hear hear.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."