Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black cds

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar

Black cds

Are these cds, cd-rs or can both be black? I have a box set of completely black cds and, although not an official release of a long out of print catalog, am not sure how to tell the difference. I know Discogs lists them as CD-Rs but I am not sure how accurate that is. What is the life expectancy of these black cd-rs if they are that?
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I have never seen a black or colored cd-r, although it is possible I have been fooled into buying some thinking they are pressed cds. I haven't sought out colored cds in preference to the usual silver ones, but I have acquired a couple:

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club-Beat The Devil's Tattoo (black)
    David Bowie-Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars Motion Picture Soundtrack (2 red discs)

I may have another black disc somewhere, but can't think which one off the top of my head. As for life expectancy, pressed or cd-r, I couldn't tell you.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I looked into colored CD-Rs a few years ago, seems the dye made it hard for the lasers to pick up the pits accurately and their error rate was astronomical. Maybe they've solved that problem now.

I have a couple of MPS re-issues that are all black.

I did a CD-R of Faust's first album using a blank I found that was ALMOST all clear. Just a HINT of silver.

I have several colored CDRs, including black, and have never had any problem with them. I once had a 100-pack of CDRs that were all different colors. I found it a bit puzzling and gimmicky, but have not had any issues.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I have an official cd release that is black.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I have an official cd release that is black.
    I have many....

Huh, I've not seen a commercially pressed cd that wasn't silver. Cool. I'm a little surprised by the red ones- you'd think red substrate + red laser = massive fail...

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I did a CD-R of Faust's first album using a blank I found that was ALMOST all clear. Just a HINT of silver.
    That’s fantastic. They should have used that for the Japanese reish of the debut, which I own. There’s a hairline crack on the front of the case. I’m afraid to handle it!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I have both CD-Rs and commercial releases that are black.
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Huh, I've not seen a commercially pressed cd that wasn't silver. Cool. I'm a little surprised by the red ones- you'd think red substrate + red laser = massive fail...
    It's only one wavelength -- as long as one avoids that one wavelength.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

True...

Suspended
    the top (non-playing) side can carry any colour and design you like. I don't understand why you would bother messing with the playing side.

I believe at least one of the Klaus Schulze Le Vie Electronique releases was pressed on black CD's. Either that or someone did a really good job at doing a counterfeit version, because they reproduced the artwork, the digi-pack and booklet perfectly.

Sony/Legacy/Columbia/whatever have released some with black surfaces. The deluxe 'Born To Run' springs to mind...think I have a Bob Dylan one like this too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    Are these cds, cd-rs or can both be black?
    I have the same question. Over the years I've purchased and burned some black CD-Rs (for computer medium) but I also got some official ones that are black as well. Due to the fact that the playing surface is identical on both I cannot tell any difference... So anyone can enlighten? Are black CDs different than black CD-Rs??????
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Black CD-Rs would have to use a different dye -- writable -- than black CDs. Wouldn't they?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Black CD-Rs would have to use a different dye -- writable -- than black CDs. Wouldn't they?
    Normally yes, but you cannot tell any difference by comparing them side-by-side. The surface is black plastic.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I own one Cd that's gold-bronze colour... it's the 2on1 Solution compilation

However, there was black CDrs sold and I bought two box of five around 10 years ago. I heard that some people have problems paying them nowadays . I'd have to check mine out... , but I's have to remember what I burned on them (compilations of TD and Rory Gallagher, I'm sure... but the rest...)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Germany's Promising Music released a whole bunch of MPS label reissues, remastered at 24-bit/88.2Kh in lovely gatefold mini-LP sleeves ... And on Black CDs (not CD-Rs) to further emulate the vinyl experience. You can read my review of the series here, but they were absolutley CD and not CD-R. Sound and play as great now as they did when released, as much as seven years ago now in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Germany's Promising Music released a whole bunch of MPS label reissues, remastered at 24-bit/88.2Kh in lovely gatefold mini-LP sleeves ... And on Black CDs (not CD-Rs)
    Yeah, I have some of these. Glad they are not CDRs.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Are we talking about silver on top and glossy black on the bottom? Like the Sony Playstation discs?

The ones I bought were glossy black on the burnable side, but the label side presented like a mini-l^with a center label in five colors (they were sold in packs of 5 >> green, Red, Blue, Yellow and Purple if memory serves... you could only write on the fake center label, really... which meant very limited space and readability afterwards
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I would love to have Smell The Glove on an all black cd

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I have the same question. Over the years I've purchased and burned some black CD-Rs (for computer medium) but I also got some official ones that are black as well. Due to the fact that the playing surface is identical on both I cannot tell any difference... So anyone can enlighten? Are black CDs different than black CD-Rs??????
    do you have TMLHBAC box?

Usually, you can look at a cd-r and a cd on the back and tell the difference, even without the greenish cast, but I cannot see what it is I am looking for...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"