Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: long overdue is new peter gabriel solo cd studio

For a microcosm of very particular fans, PG is primarily defined by what he did as part of Genesis, and his refusal to revisit that world causes endless heartburn.

For the rest of the world as well as for PG himself, his work past Genesis far exceeds what he did in those early years.

I like the old Genesis fine, but frankly I'm inclined to agree with PG. Songs like Family Snapshot, Intruder, Here Comes the Flood, Mercy Street, San Jacinto, and the Passion soundtrack are the work of a far more mature artist to my ears. It just isn't symphonic prog rock anymore, which is fine.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    He put on a show in exchange for that financial bailing-out. The deal was clear at the time of ticket purchase. Those fans got to see a one evening reunion with the band. What debt is it that needs repaying, exactly?
    my thoughts exactly. No musician "owes" anyone anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Progtopia View Post
    All I know is that PG was a total class act to his fellow musicians on stage (two of whom were also his opening act) at the Fairfax show in October. I've enjoyed pretty much all of his stuff post-Genesis, whether it can be called progressive or not.
    I loved that he came out himself to introduce the opener and thank them once again for stepping up on short notice to help finish the tour when the original opener had to drop out.

i bet Roger Waters puts out an album before PG.

bet Roger Waters puts out an album before PG.

Ooooooo, that's a terrific bet! Maybe you should start a new thread with this as its theme.

Quote Originally Posted by littleatlas_steve View Post
    If we can get another cd the quality of "Up", it would be worth the wait IMHO.

Steve
    Word!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I loved that he came out himself to introduce the opener and thank them once again for stepping up on short notice to help finish the tour when the original opener had to drop out.
    Me too. And I noticed when someone else had a solo, he often faded completely out of sight while it was going on to give them the full focus of the audience.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

I find it funny that PG soon after the release of UP stated that I/O should follow in a "relatively short" time.

So, the new peter gabriel solo cd studio is .....
    "Long Overdue"

Brilliant!

Track Listing:
    1) "Wait For It"
    2) "It's Coming"
    3) "So Soon"
    4) "Any Minute Now"
    5) "Maybe Tomorrow"
    6) "Get 'Round To It"

Bonus Track:
    "Rewind .... Re-Record"

Quote Originally Posted by ombasan View Post
    I find it funny that PG soon after the release of UP stated that I/O should follow in a "relatively short" time.
    Yes! He said that he had already recorded enough for another 1 or 2 albums. I remember thinking, "I'll believe that when I see it."

Peter may have found great satisfaction in his cover album project, but I find little of interest on it.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    He used to introduce the openers on his early tours too. I remember him doing that with Random Hold whose guitarist of course joined his band.

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    my thoughts exactly. No musician "owes" anyone anything.
    Hey..I'm one of PG's biggest fans. All i`m saying is that sum fans would like one or two Genesis classics in his set and can`t understand why he neglects that part of his career ¿ I saw him on two tours , including the original So tour & i heard shouts for Supper's Ready . Peace !

i thought it was Gabriel himself who proposed re-creating The Lamb if he were to rejoin Genesis for reunion shows but the rest were all against it, no? Judging by some of the worn-outness of this recent tour's bout (sluggish tempos, lackluster playing aside from Manu) i think it might be time to hang it up...

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    i thought it was Gabriel himself who proposed re-creating The Lamb if he were to rejoin Genesis for reunion shows but the rest were all against it, no? Judging by some of the worn-outness of this recent tour's bout (sluggish tempos, lackluster playing aside from Manu) i think it might be time to hang it up...
    I read an interview with Steve Hackett (I think in Guitar Player?) where the Lamb as a musical was discussed, he said IIRC that "one person who had veto power" shot it down, but he wouldn't say who that was other than that it wasn't him (Hackett). That's not to say it was PG, though.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

If I had to guess, I'd say it was Rutherford, based on his relatively recent comments.

But whatever - it's not going to happen, so it really doesn't matter anyway.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally