Page 104 of 129 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114 ... LastLast
Results 2,576 to 2,600 of 3205

Thread: The Audiophile Thread

Banned
    This interview by Steven Wilson includes his explanation of Dolby Atmos sound after last Nov when he heard the Abbey Road Atmos mix which blew him away. So “Future Bites” will be available in Dolby Atmos.

"attention spans get smaller and content increases, all competing for people's attention"

True, true. In fact, it takes some dedication to even click on and watch these interview video's. You really need to be invested in the person they are interviewing and curious about what they have to say about themselves and their music, in this instance. With all the polarized opinions about The Future Bites this one attracted my attention, and I've been a long time fan and (surprise) an Audiophile and a musician who does his own production and mixing. So I have at least 3 things holding my attention here. Enough to watch the whole thing. I bet many others won't get past the 5 minute mark or will just pass it by rather than "waste" time when they could be checking their Facebook feed, which is kind of what his new album is all about - hence the quote above.

Enjoy
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    This interview by Steven Wilson includes his explanation of Dolby Atmos sound after last Nov when he heard the Abbey Road Atmos mix which blew him away. So “Future Bites” will be available in Dolby Atmos.
    Can someone list the albums because I don't have as many hours left in my life like I used to and don't want to spend one watching this.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I fast-forwarded and found Steven's picks. The other guys have other picks as well.

Dark Side of the Moon
    The Seeds of Love
    Mezzanine (Massive Attack)
    The Colour of Spring (Talk Talk)
    The Future Bites
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    After watching the interview, and actually the first interview with Steve I have ever watched, I wrote this:

To plagiarize Steve himself, but his words really hit the understanding I had about eclectic music as a common aspect, it’s sound design that differentiates his songs on this record and all of his solo efforts, no matter what category one wishes to use. His love for TFF Seeds of Love, an eclectic rock masterpiece, is an inspiration for me. Can’t wait to hear his Dolby Atmos mix of that and this. On my first listen, I appreciate the intricate details of the sound design. Sound design is a key aspect of many Prog records, although instrumental technical performance has been considered the driver.

Banned
    A post by a Facebook user:

It's just a retro 80's album as opposed to the retro 70's albums that everyone else in Prog is making. I always struggle with drum machines and so far there are no really great pop songs either so I am a bit meh about it but at least he is trying to do something different (to the rest of the prog community) butthat doesn't necessarily mean that its any good. The Wilson pages that I have read are up in arms rather than supportive because it doesn't sound like Porcupine Tree.

My reply:

I will pi$$ some people off, but IMO Porcupine Tree and much of SW solo work seems like a high quality interpretation of grunge/metal. I really started liking his work when he collaborated with another great “sound design” or “cinematic” musician/producer/engineer Alan Parsons. Steve totally gets AP’s works such as Dark Side of the Moon, even though the piece has become a cliche in music, if not a Prog misnomer. And grunge/metal is cliche too, IMO.

Dolby Atmos sounds kind of interesting, but with 5.1 being a niche market for listening to music, is there enough of a market for 7.1.4 (or whatever the configuration is) for it to take off? I guess in order to have it in my home, I'd have to buy a new preamp/receiver as well as at least two more speakers. Oh and a Dolby Atmos blu ray player, I guess?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Dolby Atmos sounds kind of interesting, but with 5.1 being a niche market for listening to music, is there enough of a market for 7.1.4 (or whatever the configuration is) for it to take off? I guess in order to have it in my home, I'd have to buy a new preamp/receiver as well as at least two more speakers. Oh and a Dolby Atmos blu ray player, I guess?
    If you really want to hear Dolby Atmos go to a Dolby Cinema which for now is an AMC theatre. I need to do the research but IMAX theatres are getting an upgrade and I don’t know the progress. The Dolby Cinemas are crazy good and I’m hoping one day concerts will be shown there. Netflix and Amazon are pushing Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision and I listen via an Apple TV. I have a Pioneer 9.2.4 receiver that supports it, but no elevation channel speakers. Dolby Atmos defaults to HD DolbyTrue HD which is lossless audio that is pretty good. Apparently Sony is offering a new streaming service that supports Dolby Vision and Atmos at up to 80 mbps.

If you really want to hear Dolby Atmos go to a Dolby Cinema which for now is an AMC theatre. I need to do the research but IMAX theatres are getting an upgrade and I don’t know the progress. The Dolby Cinemas are crazy good and I’m hoping one day concerts will be shown there. Netflix and Amazon are pushing Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision and I listen via an Apple TV. I have a Pioneer 9.2.4 receiver that supports it, but no elevation channel speakers. Dolby Atmos defaults to HD DolbyTrue HD which is lossless audio that is pretty good. Apparently Sony is offering a new streaming service that supports Dolby Vision and Atmos at up to 80 mbps.
    Thanks. I'll try to find a cinema, but it's pretty challenging in my neck of the woods and with the current climate.

I kind of figured you might have an Atmos setup at home as I gather from previous posts you are a surround sound enthusiast and pretty knowledgeable about such things. I tried the Atmos version of In the Court of the Crimson King on my standard 5.1 setup and it didn't sound good at all to me. I assume it's because I just don't have the right equipment for it. I imagine with speakers over your head, it might be an intense experience.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Thanks. I'll try to find a cinema, but it's pretty challenging in my neck of the woods and with the current climate.

I kind of figured you might have an Atmos setup at home as I gather from previous posts you are a surround sound enthusiast and pretty knowledgeable about such things. I tried the Atmos version of In the Court of the Crimson King on my standard 5.1 setup and it didn't sound good at all to me. I assume it's because I just don't have the right equipment for it. I imagine with speakers over your head, it might be an intense experience.
    Any multichannel setup needs room correction to get the full benefit. My receiver will adjust the time delays etc for Atmos vertical channels to optimize the sound. When calibration is locked in, all speakers can act like a single speaker that could radiate the exact same sound from every direction to your ears, such that the same waveform is received at your ears from every speaker.

Thank you for this!

A classic

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    A classic

A only slight exaggeration of the behavior in retail stores that are staffed with young men with plenty of knowledge and absolutely no tact (bicycle shops, record store (RIP), audio gear, etc.) I should know, I was one.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

"No, no clues."

Can’t wait to hear his Dolby Atmos mix of that and this.
    My Yamaha AVR Receiver is Atmos-capable, as is my 4K/blu-ray/DVD/CD player, however Atmos requires MORE speakers then I currently run, so there's that...

I haven't read the whole thread so I hope this hasn't been posted before, but I think there is a lot of truth in this cartoon.

vinyl.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Brad 2 the Bone View Post
    I haven't read the whole thread so I hope this hasn't been posted before, but I think there is a lot of truth in this cartoon.

vinyl.jpg
    Haha! True. But we love it anyway, like a dog that bites you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    My Yamaha AVR Receiver is Atmos-capable, as is my 4K/blu-ray/DVD/CD player, however Atmos requires MORE speakers then I currently run, so there's that...
    I don't have Atmos speakers, but those mixes are downmixed in my Pioneer Elite receiver well. The Beatles Abbey Road Atmos mix sounds incredible.

Has anyone out there auditioned a system with recently designed open baffle speakers? More specifically looking for about opinions regarding GR Research, Emerald Physics and Spatial Audio stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Haha! True. But we love it anyway, like a dog that bites you.
    hifi-vinyl.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 2 View Post
    Has anyone out there auditioned a system with recently designed open baffle speakers? More specifically looking for about opinions regarding GR Research, Emerald Physics and Spatial Audio stuff.
    I've heard them all. In order of sound quality, for me:

GR Research
    Spatial Audio
    Emerald Physics

The GR Research are just in another league from the other 2, although they are also both quite good.

Obviously, the advantage with the GR Research, is you are saving loads of $$$ by assembling the system yourself. The resulting speaker is easily comparable with already assembled, commercially available speakers costing several times as much.

With the Spatials and Emeralds, you are definitely getting what your pay for. With the GR, you are getting more.

Another great OB speaker to check into, which I still don't think is as good as the GR Research, are the Pure Audio Project. The nice thing about these, is they are sold in modular form. So, since they have several different levels of tweeters, crossovers, and the number of woofers that can be used, one can get into a basic package, but upgrade them in the future.

They are also sold in flat packs, so they are self assemble, but quite a bit simpler assembly than the GR; no crossovers to build with the Pure Audios, for example. Basically just bolt all the parts together.

https://www.pureaudioproject.com/tri...ffle-speakers/

Here are a set with the Air Motion tweeters, but there are other choices for tweeters.

And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Banned
    Interesting, but room issues could be the disadvantage of open baffle speakers.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/editoria...ed-technology/

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Interesting, but room issues could be the disadvantage of open baffle speakers.
    Also, cats.

Danny Ritchie from GR Research has a very good series on YouTube about open baffle design.

Very informative.

Part 1 here -

And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Banned
    Thanks.