Page 105 of 129 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 3205

Thread: The Audiophile Thread

FYI, I have a pair of ProAc D20R's that I am demoing with the intent to purchase.... very nice speaker.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

The New Record Day Yt clips and the Audio Circle posts have helped narrow things down and at the same time made pulling the trigger a little harder on which route to go. It's pretty easy to get conflicting information on room geometry and on a lot of other variables, but in a small (11' x 13') listening room there seems to be a general consensus that GR Research NX-Otica studio monitors w/ (kit 4) servo subs should work pretty well. Some of the materials are not in stock and the amount of labor and equipment needed to do a good job of assembly can be fairly daunting unknowns. For somewhere around the same expense, (not including tools, veneer and other finishing materials) one could buy a fully assembled pair of Spatial M-3 Sapphires, which some claim are preferable. I don't have a way to audition both, but after bumbling through the the GR Research 24 strand speaker cable assembly and finding out that his pin terminations don't work on most binding posts, I can see lots of toe stubbing and Murphy's law related profanity in a GR Research build.
    Thanks for the info Simon...but couldn't you have just said the Spatials are sonically just a gnats hair away from like priced GR Research stuff?

Just got my first real subwoofer a couple weeks ago, a Rythmik Audio F12G. These subs are made for audiophiles who hate subs. Just a little while ago, I was listening to Pieces of Eight by Styx (laugh, I don't care) and there is a brief 1 minute synth instrumental on side one where I thought I was going to lose my bowels. I think it was produced by a Yamaha CS-80. Crazy and it's on *vinyl*, a format that supposedly lacks bass. Looking forward to hearing some Genesis and Rush or anything with bass pedals.

Banned
    In a quick review of the EQ page of http://www.rythmikaudio.com/?gclid=C...BoCswUQAvD_BwE

They tune these subwoofers at 20 Hz which is excellent for Taurus pedals which I read go down to 20Hz. I thought they were lower, but I read not. Apparently these subwoofers can be extended down to 14 Hz with room gain. Room size matters with these compact subs.

Banned
    A review of Bob Ludwig mastering:

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Just got my first real subwoofer a couple weeks ago, a Rythmik Audio F12G. These subs are made for audiophiles who hate subs. Just a little while ago, I was listening to Pieces of Eight by Styx (laugh, I don't care) and there is a brief 1 minute synth instrumental on side one where I thought I was going to lose my bowels. I think it was produced by a Yamaha CS-80. Crazy and it's on *vinyl*, a format that supposedly lacks bass. Looking forward to hearing some Genesis and Rush or anything with bass pedals.
    My Tetra 111s (which, stacked underneath the 222s, make up the 333s) are similar. With Tetra being all about honesty and truth, they don't over-accentuate the lows. Instead, they just warm the room up. I've listened to me rig with and without the 333s and, while the 222s sound spectacular on their own, the added warmth from the 111s is really special. And we don't have them stacked...the 222s are underneath our TV, about 8' apart and at ear level, while the 111s are on either side of about 8' worth of bookshelves behind the sofa. They're beautiful (we went for the cherry wood), so the subs really stand up as almost pieces of art on each side of the book shelves...

...so everything looks great and, more importantly, sounds amazing. Plenty of bass, but only as much as was intended, rather than overstating it.

So congrats on your new acquisition!
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Nice. It took me a little bit to figure out how to fit my subwoofer in with my new ProAcs. The answer was only for the lowest of lows, and positioning to arrive at the same time. It's almost unnoticeable. Almost.

Btw, great album, I played it on vinyl just last week.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Nice. It took me a little bit to figure out how to fit my subwoofer in with my new ProAcs. The answer was only for the lowest of lows, and positioning to arrive at the same time. It's almost unnoticeable. Almost.

Btw, great album, I played it on vinyl just last week.
    Agreed and that's kind of been my subwoofer setting. Even earlier tonight I was listening to music and wondering if my sub was on. I turned it off and immediately noticed it was gone. I know a lot of audiophiles look down on subwoofers, but there aren't a lot of high end floor standing speakers that go below 30hz. My Focal Sopras go down to 34 hz and the bass is satisfying, tight and maybe enough for some listeners. But you really don't realize what you've been missing until you've actually heard it.

^^ The problem I've had is keeping the volume low so as to not disturb the neighbors. Since the sub has trouble detecting a signal, it auto-shuts off. I finally got a remote control outlet, and changed the sub from auto-on to always on. This has the added benefit of being able to shut off the sub late at night, for further consideration of the neighbors. The bass frequencies are most likely to travel through walls.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ^^ The problem I've had is keeping the volume low so as to not disturb the neighbors. Since the sub has trouble detecting a signal, it auto-shuts off. I finally got a remote control outlet, and changed the sub from auto-on to always on. This has the added benefit of being able to shut off the sub late at night, for further consideration of the neighbors. The bass frequencies are most likely to travel through walls.
    Exactly. I have twin tower speakers, each has a subwoofer powered by a line level signal from my receiver that can calibrate both together independently and I have the auto on to all ways on. Like condo living, but 30 years ago, I went for the cheap house instead freeing me from complaints. My subwoofers are good but not close to those Rhymiks and their -3 dB at 14 HZ.

Not sure this is the right place, but I'm looking to replace my Rotel 3000 (keeps breaking down)

My first TT was the Yamaha YP-B4, which was fully and semi-automatic. It was simply perfect and it still is turning around somewhere mid-north in Canada (last I heard)

That little lever was sooooo cool and if the arm was carefully balanced the needle would drop so softly everywhere on the disc. Also loved that amazingly good looking double-curved arm too.

Sooooo, I'm looking for something similar. I don't care for the fully automatic (I never used it), but I need an automatic return once the LP side is over - in case I'm not there when it's over. Can't stand the idea of the needle keep turning on the end groove of the disc.

finding such a TT (new) could become a challenge - so could a belt-drive (which was super easy to change on that YP-B4) - it seems direct drive is the norm nowadays.

I've read over a few catalogues (Rega and Pro-Ject) and none offer this feature - probably because of stupid hipsters would prefer scratching their album by handling the needle directly on the disc, rather than have the arm&gravity deposing it gently on the disc.

Any suggestions for the european market please?

cheers & thx in advance
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^^ There are advantages to both belt and direct drive. DD provides more precise, consistent platter rotation. BD transmits less motor vibration through the platter to the cartridge. The highest end tables have external belt drive, with the drive mechanism fully visible...as below.........

BTW: I was talking to a local used record store owner. A regular customer of his is former MLB Pitcher Randy Johnson, aka "The Big Unit." Randy's stylus, not the entire cartridge, just the stylus was something like $36K.

BTW: I was talking to a local used record store owner. A regular customer of his is former MLB Pitcher Randy Johnson, aka "The Big Unit." Randy's stylus, not the entire cartridge, just the stylus was something like $36K.
    Sounds like he was thinking with his unit.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Not sure this is the right place, but I'm looking to replace my Rotel 3000 (keeps breaking down)

My first TT was the Yamaha YP-B4, which was fully and semi-automatic. It was simply perfect and it still is turning around somewhere mid-north in Canada (last I heard)

That little lever was sooooo cool and if the arm was carefully balanced the needle would drop so softly everywhere on the disc. Also loved that amazingly good looking double-curved arm too.

Sooooo, I'm looking for something similar. I don't care for the fully automatic (I never used it), but I need an automatic return once the LP side is over - in case I'm not there when it's over. Can't stand the idea of the needle keep turning on the end groove of the disc.

finding such a TT (new) could become a challenge - so could a belt-drive (which was super easy to change on that YP-B4) - it seems direct drive is the norm nowadays.

I've read over a few catalogues (Rega and Pro-Ject) and none offer this feature - probably because of stupid hipsters would prefer scratching their album by handling the needle directly on the disc, rather than have the arm&gravity deposing it gently on the disc.

Any suggestions for the european market please?

cheers & thx in advance
    Dual used to make 'semi-automatics' - I think they still do. They are reliable and last forever.

What loudspeaker cables do you use (between what gear)?

I just shifted from Van den Hul Magnum Hybrid to Tellurium Q silver II, and got much more details in the top and upper middle, and a more slim but still deep bass.
    I was looking for this, I am using a tube pre-amp, and they roll of a bit in the top.
    If you have a bright sounding system, they are probably not for you.

The guy I bought them from shifted to Nordost Red Dawn, which I will try next week for fun (but cannot afford).

Fully manual tables are better for records like Clearlight Symphony, and Universe Zero Heatwave. The former has the closing arpeggio, and the latter the chiming effect cut into the lead out groove and inner ring. They'll keep playing forever until the user intervenes. A (semi-)automatic table will suffer a pronounced drop in pitch when the tone arm is about to lift, followed by the loud click.

Banned
    Fully manual tables are better for records like Clearlight Symphony, and Universe Zero Heatwave. The former has the closing arpeggio, and the latter the chiming effect cut into the lead out groove and inner ring. They'll keep playing forever until the user intervenes. A (semi-)automatic table will suffer a pronounced drop in pitch when the tone arm is about to lift, followed by the loud click.
    Even a tangential tracking tone arm like my Yamaha PX7 has?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Taking a break from 1950s technology , if any of you find that you have a buzz or ground hum with your Surround/Home theater set-up, perhaps I can help.

I recently experienced that when upgrading a few things. It was terribly bothersome (stereo systems should be dead quiet). It turns out it is related to the CABLE BOX.

If any of you have the issue, I can let you know the solution.

Ok, now back to you regularly scheduled program…
    Last edited by Gizmotron; 02-11-2022 at 11:51 AM.

Thx Bob,

Fluance RT81 Elite: that sounds like a no-brainer for my tech specs .

Obviously don't need 78rpm and missing gold-plated connectors, but I like the idea of interchangeable cartridges and stylus.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Taking a break from 1950s technology , if any of you find that you have a buzz or ground hum with you Surround/Home theater set-up, perhaps I can help.

I recently experienced that when upgrading a few things. It was terribly bothersome (stereo systems should be dead quiet). It turns out it is related to the CABLE BOX.

If any of you have the issue, I can let you know the solution.

Ok, now back to you regularly scheduled program…
    One thing you can try for free is to make sure that all your equipment's power plugs are lined up. If any of the plugs are of the type with spades of identical size, plug the one that matches up with the ridged or striped side of the cable into the side of the outlet with the wider opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    One thing you can try for free is to make sure that all your equipment's power plugs are lined up. If any of the plugs are of the type with spades of identical size, plug the one that matches up with the ridged or striped side of the cable into the side of the outlet with the wider opening.
    Good tip!

Also in that realm is tying to keep power rods away from audio and HDMI cods so s to avoid possible interference.

Also if any piece of equipment is plugged into a different outlet from the rest, that can create a ground loop. Inducing hum throughout the entire system.

I am not sure I knew that. Thanks!!