Page 86 of 129 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 3205

Thread: The Audiophile Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Anyone heard about this? Might be trouble for Tidal.

https://www.amazon.com/b?node=14063680011
    Amazon is conflating 16/44.1 standard res with hi-res. It's very much like Starbucks (another Seattle company) tinkering with size names, to make cups of coffee sound larger than they actually are.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Add to that a lot of supposedly high def recordings aren't all that. I use a Schitt DAC in my office system but I've been meaning for a while to try hooking up my laptop to the system in the living room. I have a number of supposedly 24 bit files and they sound fine on the office system once I started using the DAC. But the real test is the better system in the living room. So today I got off my lazy ass and set it up. As I figured, some sound quite good and others are just "what's the big deal, this isn't an improvement on the original recording." I've got BOC's Agents of Fortune playing right now and it sounds gorgeous. But before that I played a McCartney tune and honestly, it didn't sound any better than a MP3.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I guess in Amazon's world, 24/356 PCM and 5.6MHz DSD would be super-duper massively Hi-Res.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Yes and I would take it further. In my view (informed by legendary audio designer Roy Allison), the room is an intrinsic and vital part of the sound system. My experience is that good speakers can sound great in a good room, excellent speakers can sound bad in a dead room. Installing a 100K system in a crappy little room with low ceilings is like driving a Lamborghini in rush hour traffic.
    Spot on. So why do so many pipple who can afford a $100k stereo put it in a $20 room?

All the woo videos online about magic crystals and unobtainium speaker cables never mention room size.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Amazon is conflating 16/44.1 standard res with hi-res. It's very much like Starbucks (another Seattle company) tinkering with size names, to make cups of coffee sound larger than they actually are.
    Amazon sucks. I buy e-orders from Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Amazon sucks. I buy e-orders from Walmart.
    :LOL
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

$20k for two 6.5" speakers & a turntable.... Millennials must be reaching their peak earning potential.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post

$20k for two 6.5" speakers & a turntable.... Millennials must be reaching their peak earning potential.
    ok... I'll take two...

Well, there's a bit more to it than just two speakers and a table: https://www.symbolaudio.com/audio/mo...ecord-console/ You've got a tube amp plus a subwoofer hidden in there, plus the ability to stream audio. If one put together a pair of high-end bookshelf speakers, sub, tube amp, and turntable you could hit $20K. The question is does this company match the quality standard you could get putting that type of component system together? It's pretty rare that you have one manufacturer that does speakers, turntables, and amps at that level.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

... you could hit $20K.
    Not without trying.

Banned
    Millennials must be reaching their peak earning potential.
    Indeed. Ridiculous if I think of the many great component systems one could put together for $20K. Reminds me a bit of the Bose legacy of putting out garbage like the 901 with all the small paper drivers that was so bad they wouldn't even publish the basic specs on it...of course all IMO and YMMV. The 901's might actually be perfect for you if all you listen to are string quartets.

The 901's might actually be perfect for you if all you listen to are string quartets.
    I know a guy who bought a complete BOSE home theater system for his family. He played a Star Wars movie for the kids and everyone loved it. The next morning he tried so classical music and said it sounded like utter crap, the entire orchestra was turned into an incoherent mush.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names

you could easily replicate this system for 2 or 3 grand and sell it for 5 or 6 grand and make money, but at $20k you have to convince fewer people that they need a "statement peice". Rich people love statement peices.

As I get older I'm becoming more convinced that people who are easily duped should be.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    As I get older I'm becoming more convinced that people who are easily duped should be.
    But is it "duping" really, if something is wayyy overpriced and the newly-rich buy it KNOWING it's wayyy overpriced but buy it anyway because of the fact that it is wayyy overpriced and people will look at the piece and say "You're too rich"?

It's sort of like Bang & Olufsen - you are buying it for the style and design (although B&O did make a damn fine turntable back in the day).

Banned
    It's sort of like Bang & Olufsen - you are buying it for the style and design (although B&O did make a damn fine turntable back in the day).
    Actually, B and O made crucial designs in class D amplification that enable slim designs that were efficient and high quality. For many years their tech was licensed for efficient receiver designs. Now companies like Pioneer have mated similar Class D tech with high power MOSFET output devices to give 4 ohm performance, like tubes.

Well, there's a bit more to it than just two speakers and a table: https://www.symbolaudio.com/audio/mo...ecord-console/ You've got a tube amp plus a subwoofer hidden in there, plus the ability to stream audio. If one put together a pair of high-end bookshelf speakers, sub, tube amp, and turntable you could hit $20K. The question is does this company match the quality standard you could get putting that type of component system together? It's pretty rare that you have one manufacturer that does speakers, turntables, and amps at that level.
    Having a built in sub-woofer will cause problems of its own...namely bass feedback. Growing up, my parents had a console stereo which suffered from exactly that problem.

Banned
    I know a guy who bought a complete BOSE home theater system for his family. He played a Star Wars movie for the kids and everyone loved it. The next morning he tried so classical music and said it sounded like utter crap, the entire orchestra was turned into an incoherent mush.
    I'm not surprised. Bose is brilliant at marketing but not so much at design, although I have heard good things about some of their "pro" gear such as PA's for musicians. Apparently those are pretty good.

What an joke.

When I think of the high end system that could be put together with $20K, or even less, I have to take care not to slap myself in the forehead too hard.

This is sad.

EDIT: Actually, those Alnico full-range speakers are quite good, and it does come with a sub. But still, not worth anywhere near $20K.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

But you would need a 100.000 $ more to get these two mono blocks

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...fier-ces-2017/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I'm not surprised. Bose is brilliant at marketing but not so much at design, although I have heard good things about some of their "pro" gear such as PA's for musicians. Apparently those are pretty good.
    I was pretty impressed when I heard Stan Whitaker doing acoustic set using the Bose column PA in a restaurant. However, JBL has a similar product, but I haven’t heard it yet. That column gets the sound above the audience and appropriately spread.

Looking at various audio forums, there seems to be a lot of disagreement over which class of amplifier is best and it gets very esoteric and nonsensical. All I know is Class A throws off more heat that a refrigerator but "they" claim the sound is much warmer. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Class A (solid state) - generally has more power with less watts, is more detailed and dynamic - and gets physically warmer and uses more electricity.
    But generally you need loudspeakers easily driven, or a big Class A amp, and they are usually very expensive.
    There are a few chinese brands that makes affordable Class A solid state like JungSon JA88D-09
    Read about this one http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JungSon.htm
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 11-05-2019 at 06:23 PM.

Looking at various audio forums, there seems to be a lot of disagreement over which class of amplifier is best
    There's your clue right there.

If it was obvious it wouldn't be a subject of debate, would it.

Tube amps are generally thought of as running in Class A mode.

It's not the technology... you can get top amps with transistors, moss fet, vacuum tubes, Class D... so its your ears and your wallet...
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 11-05-2019 at 06:22 PM.