Page 99 of 129 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103109 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,475 of 3205

Thread: The Audiophile Thread

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ^^ It's not just the conversion hardware. The computing power required to capture and process DSD is far more massive than the most commonly used 24/44.1 PCM. The same applies to anything above 48KHz PCM by the way. Let's not forget: it isn't even possible to earn a living as a recording artist anymore.
    Yes, I already mention that mixing DSD is exotic. Your comment referred specifically to DACs. Anyway I contend that it is more ideal for high res digital to be supported via archiving data via DSD format, even if the mixing is in PCM, and then converted to DSD and recorded on SACD hybrid. The SACD hybrid can have a CD Layer, a Stereo DSD later and a multichannel layer. I’m not sure how many channels are supported on SACD with DVD density. I think Sony decided to just move to Blu-ray and other multichannel compressed but lossless formats like Dolby Atmos.

^^ When I used the generic term "equipment," I was referring not only to the audio interfaces and the computer equipment required to support them, but also the software. The Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, et cetera, et cetera one buys at Guitar Center just ain't gonna cut it. DSD software is on a whole nother level.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Just pulled the trigger on these:

Rogue Audio Sphinx v3 (integrated hybrid amp - 100w at 8ohms)
    Pro-Ject The Classic SB with superpack including Ortofon Quintet Red moving coil cartridge

This TT has been discontinued in favor of the newer EVO which has an aluminum sub-platter (and maybe a different arm) but the price was too good to pass up, and I've read very positive reviews on both these things, so there you have it. I am driving B&W 602 S2 loudspeakers and still have my Rotel CD player (RCD 951 HDCD equipped). I had a Rotel integrated RA 972 but it shit the bed and I needed a good MM/MC phono stage anyway.

None of it is here yet (amp is out of stock until June 25) so I will keep you posted when I get this thing up and running. The Classic table looks like a Linn LP12 ripoff and it doesn't sound as good but I think it's going to be fine for me. This gear was within my budget and I plan on upgrading my loudspeakers in a few years but for now the B&W's sound amazing for (then late 90's) around $650 US.

PS - also got a record doctor V cleaning machine and all the cleaning brushes and stuff
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Also, where do you guys buy your vinyl online? Any good recs for the crazy shit we listen to for good prices?

^ I don't buy reissues on vinyl, so Discogs and ebay for me.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ I don't buy reissues on vinyl...
    Is that because of the use of a digital master?

^ That and space issues. I'll buy a vinyl reissue if it's the only option, or if the only choices on a new release are vinyl, download or cassette. But if it's an older release, I'll either buy original vinyl or CD reissue.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Also, where do you guys buy your vinyl online? Any good recs for the crazy shit we listen to for good prices?
    I get lucky at the Goodwill occasionally.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

^ That and space issues. I'll buy a vinyl reissue if it's the only option, or if the only choices on a new release are vinyl, download or cassette. But if it's an older release, I'll either buy original vinyl or CD reissue.
    Pretty much the same for me. I hate it when reissues are done on 180 or 200 gram vinyl. I don't hear a difference in sound quality at all-the heavy weight just adds more stress to the shelves.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Pretty much the same for me. I hate it when reissues are done on 180 or 200 gram vinyl. I don't hear a difference in sound quality at all-the heavy weight just adds more stress to the shelves.
    I’m not a vinyl head, but isn’t the point of heavier vinyl, longevity?

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I’m not a vinyl head, but isn’t the point of heavier vinyl, longevity?
    Not really. Its purely a marketing tool that has taken hold.

I read somewhere that 180G vinyl is better at transmitting platter and motor noise to the cartridge. Just like sound travels better underwater, higher density transmits sound more efficiently. Thus, lighter records equal less noise.

Warp resistance?

Banned
    http://vinyljunkies.co/180-gram-vinyl-records/

Weight = stability = dampened vibrations

Warp resistance?
    Not at all. I got a 200 gram reissue of The Who Sell Out around 15 years ago. It was on the Classic Records label and they were notorious for QC issues; when they were good, they were very good though. The LP was too warped to play, even with my outer ring clamp. I had to send it back.

Anyone heard of a new label called The Electric Recording Company? They are selling vinyl reissues in limited editions of between 150-500. The prices are only $150-600 bucks each. No I'm not kidding. I believe they are reissuing Love's "Forever Changes" before the end of the year.

https://www.theelectricrecordingco.com/shop/

^ I don't buy reissues on vinyl, so Discogs and ebay for me.
    I don't buy reissues for one reason: I want the OG. The real thing.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Not at all. I got a 200 gram reissue of The Who Sell Out around 15 years ago. It was on the Classic Records label and they were notorious for QC issues; when they were good, they were very good though. The LP was too warped to play, even with my outer ring clamp. I had to send it back.

Anyone heard of a new label called The Electric Recording Company? They are selling vinyl reissues in limited editions of between 150-500. The prices are only $150-600 bucks each. No I'm not kidding. I believe they are reissuing Love's "Forever Changes" before the end of the year.

https://www.theelectricrecordingco.com/shop/
    I actually heard the first release from The Electric Recording Company. It was played back on a sub-million dollar system. Wonderful sounding album. Noisy as fuck. For all the money they spent on their mastering system they spent nothing on the pressing. They could have given it to Pallas and it would have turned out stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I read somewhere that 180G vinyl is better at transmitting platter and motor noise to the cartridge. Just like sound travels better underwater, higher density transmits sound more efficiently. Thus, lighter records equal less noise.
    I weigh my albums before I play them to adjust VTA. Certainly countries (at certain time periods) were notorious for lower weight albums. Made no difference. I have albums that weight about 100 grams and they sound absolutely spectacular. I have 200 gram albums were are so noisy to be almost unplayable.

^^ I resemble the implications of that comic.
    Last edited by progmatist; 06-21-2020 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I brought my AKG K1000's (and a small class A amp) to the studio gigs in the 90's! Damn good! Damn weird

No pic exists fortunately, but you can imagine...
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

^ nice pics!

Anybody hear the Henry Cow reissue LPs from 2017 or so?

Are there any Linn LP12 owners on here? I've often been curious about this turntable. I auditioned it once years ago and remember really liking it. I'm happy with my current VPI turntable, but eventually I'll be upgrading either up the VPI line or to another brand. The LP12 is crazy expensive now, especially considering all the add-ons that are available. What do you think Ken/Laser's Edge? Or anybody for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    I brought my AKG K1000's (and a small class A amp) to the studio gigs in the 90's! Damn good! Damn weird

No pic exists fortunately, but you can imagine...
    Looks like an It's Academic team.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!