Page 44 of 129 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 3205

Thread: The Audiophile Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Are you in the single malt PM?
    Nothing like a cheap drunk you know.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Anyone every hear any of these Schiit products? Bitfrost, etc?
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I have not heard any of their products but one member of my audio group is smitten with the Yggdrasil. Says its a killer DAC. Only $2300 and you have 15 days to try it out. Seems like its worth a listen.

Working my way through 50+ pages of a "post photos of your system" on the Hoffman site. What's with some audiophiles having tiny desk lamps over their turntables?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    You asked for it, they are the real Schit[emoji106]🏿

Working my way through 50+ pages of a "post photos of your system" on the Hoffman site. What's with some audiophiles having tiny desk lamps over their turntables?
    For me, it's basic. To see where the hell I'm dropping the stylus. I also like them because they show the little white specs I didn't get on first cleaning.

I have the Bifrost DAC and the Valhalla tube headphone preamp. I don't listen with headphones very often, but this is a very nice combo, especially with high impedance headphones like some of the Sennheisers. I also use the Bifrost as my DAC when playing computer files.

Rocky Mountain Audio Fest is this weekend in Colorado. This is an Audiophiles wet dream weekend. The best coverage of the show is at Audio Circle, by Tyson and Pez. Easy to find their day by day coverage. Some amazing reporting and great pictures and assessments of the sound in many rooms.

Enjoy
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Rocky Mountain Audio Fest is this weekend in Colorado. This is an Audiophiles wet dream weekend. The best coverage of the show is at Audio Circle, by Tyson and Pez. Easy to find their day by day coverage. Some amazing reporting and great pictures and assessments of the sound in many rooms.

Enjoy
    Went two years ago and had a blast. Drove over to the Boulder Amplifier factory and was given a private tour. Virtually everything is done in house. Quite amazing to see. Tons to see at RMAF. Hard to do it all in the time alloted. Could have easily used an extra day.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    For me, it's basic. To see where the hell I'm dropping the stylus. I also like them because they show the little white specs I didn't get on first cleaning.
    Yep me too, especially when I have "mood lighting" on in my listening room. Gotta see where I drop the needle!

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    You asked for it, they are the real Schit[emoji106]🏿
    That's what I heard

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    I have not heard any of their products but one member of my audio group is smitten with the Yggdrasil. Says its a killer DAC. Only $2300 and you have 15 days to try it out. Seems like its worth a listen.
    It does. The writes I read are very positive.

Another question. Will balanced outputs make any difference in my system? (I know, I know, give it a try...) Comments?

Another question. Will balanced outputs make any difference in my system? (I know, I know, give it a try...) Comments?
    Maybe. It depends if the equipment is a fully balanced design. Just having XLR in/outputs doesn't necessarily make it balanced. Assuming it is you can expect higher gain and a lower noise floor.

Personally I run fully balanced from cartridge to amp. YMMV.

OK, you're going to have to strip this down to basics for me to understand. What are fully balanced outputs?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

OK, you're going to have to strip this down to basics for me to understand. What are fully balanced outputs?
    There's a pretty good explanation here. Here's the meat of it:
    In balanced signal paths, there is a second signal conductor referred to as the “cold” line. The hot and cold lines transmit identical signals that are 180 degrees out of phase with each other. As the signal voltage in the hot line increases, the cold line’s signal voltage decreases, precisely mirroring the hot signal in reverse. The combined hot and cold signal is fed into a circuit containing what’s known as a differential input that detects any difference between the signals. Because hum and other noise are present in both conductors more or less equally, they appear to the input as in-phase signals.

The differential circuit ignores such in-phase signals, hence canceling out the noise. Amplifiers with differential circuits can cancel out most interference—up to 90 dB or more—essentially reducing noise to inaudible levels.

Balanced lines are ideal in situations involving lengthy cables and low signal levels where noise can be a problem. Mic cables are a good example of such situations. On the other hand, short cable runs carrying higher [line level] signal levels are less prone to audible noise.

So... what about balanced outputs to unbalanced inputs (or vice versa)? Any benefit?

So... what about balanced outputs to unbalanced inputs (or vice versa)? Any benefit?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Went two years ago and had a blast. Drove over to the Boulder Amplifier factory and was given a private tour. Virtually everything is done in house. Quite amazing to see. Tons to see at RMAF. Hard to do it all in the time alloted. Could have easily used an extra day.
    I remember you talking about that trip Ken, especially your visit to Boulder. So cool.

The WSJ finds three extremely affordable tube amps.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-mira...ier-1445452602

That little Hifiman would work great in my office.

The WSJ finds three extremely affordable tube amps.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-mira...ier-1445452602

That little Hifiman would work great in my office.
    I really appreciate that this article approaches tube amps as they should be - an aesthetic choice. I personally love having a tube pre-amp in my system, but I would never objectively say it is superior to any other. FWIW, the smaller headphone ones mentioned are rather skimpy in the tube department. I tested out a Pro-Ject Tube Box pre-amp with two tubes in it a while back, and it really didn't provide much color at all to my ears. Maybe on this smaller scale you will see more from less tubes?

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    I tested out a Pro-Ject Tube Box pre-amp with two tubes in it a while back, and it really didn't provide much color at all to my ears. Maybe on this smaller scale you will see more from less tubes?
    Golly, there's got to be ways to boost the distortion. Maybe lift the ground from one input?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Golly, there's got to be ways to boost the distortion. Maybe lift the ground from one input?
    I don't know why more people aren't using old Marshall Plexi's in their home systems. Shit, talk about warm!!

Nah, Fender Bassman, now THAT's a warm amp!

An article from the Guardian on woo, witchcraft, and the wife approval factor:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...P=share_btn_fb

An article from the Guardian on woo, witchcraft, and the wife approval factor:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...P=share_btn_fb
    The real question is: is it worth it? Does sound quality rise proportionately with price? To an extent, yes. For £1,000, or less if it’s secondhand, you can buy some good kit; £5,000 to £10,000 can buy something really special. But enthusiasts talk about a law of diminishing returns, whereby thousands of pounds extra will buy an improvement that is almost undetectable, and probably only audible to the bloke who paid the money. This is why my wife believes hi-fi is the male version of wrinkle cream – dubious claims, expensive prices, results only apparent to the buyer.
    Classic.

Who puts a $200,000 pair of speakers right next to a window??? Besides, they're uglier than sin.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 11-30-2015 at 11:17 AM.

What's the deal with some speaker companies using only caps instead of true crossovers and how do these caps do the work of crossovers?