Page 96 of 129 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106 ... LastLast
Results 2,376 to 2,400 of 3205

Thread: The Audiophile Thread

Banned

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    General electric AM FM dual speaker closeup.jpg
    This was my original sound system, and I used 3/$1 cassettes to record things from it using a portable cassette recorder, holding the mic up in front of the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    This was my original sound system, and I used 3/$1 cassettes to record things from it using a portable cassette recorder, holding the mic up in front of the radio.
    - some of my more memorable musical experiences happened under similar conditions.

That's how we would record TV shows and movies before the VCR came along, and became affordable. My little brother would have to talk, which the mic would pick up. We'd shoosh him every time, which the mic would also pick up.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

My brother and I did this too. He had a little radio/cassette combo that he'd tape either the audio from Midnight Special shows or late night radio from stations hundreds of miles away from us. We also recorded the audio for the Nair "short shorts" ad because just the audio would trigger the memory of the video portion. Ah, it was a more innocent time.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Luxury!!

My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    My little brother would have to talk, which the mic would pick up. We'd shoosh him every time, which the mic would also pick up.
    To this day, when I hear the solo at the end of Lucky Man, I half expect to hear my little brother yelling down the stairs to tell my mother that he's all out of underwear.

To this day, when I hear the solo at the end of Lucky Man, I half expect to hear my little brother yelling down the stairs to tell my mother that he's all out of underwear.

Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    Luxury!!

Does anyone have any info on the Parasound A 23+? It's overall sound, etc. The Halo A 21 might be nice but overpowering for a smaller room. 160 wpc for the room would be a nice fit.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Does anyone have any info on the Parasound A 23+? It's overall sound, etc. The Halo A 21 might be nice but overpowering for a smaller room. 160 wpc for the room would be a nice fit.
    I haven't heard it, but I am generally very positive, its good value for money! Have just upgraded my hca 2200 mk II to HALO 21, but read that the + series are even better.
    The 3 and 5 channel vesions are not as "HiFi" as the 2 channel versions.

"Together, the Parasound P 6 and A 23+ are dynamite," raves Roy Ervin Solstad, Stereo+ (Norway), January 2019. "Pure sonic magic with brilliant dynamics, delicious midrange and impressive resolution. To get such good sound for the price of this duo seems almost unnatural. One incredibly appealing preamp-amplifier package from Parasound."
    https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinf...number=PAHA23P

http://www.audioreview.com/product/a...halo-a-23.html

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I haven't heard it, but I am generally very positive, its good value for money! Have just upgraded my hca 2200 mk II to HALO 21, but read that the + series are even better.
    The 3 and 5 channel vesions are not as "HiFi" as the 2 channel versions.

"Together, the Parasound P 6 and A 23+ are dynamite," raves Roy Ervin Solstad, Stereo+ (Norway), January 2019. "Pure sonic magic with brilliant dynamics, delicious midrange and impressive resolution. To get such good sound for the price of this duo seems almost unnatural. One incredibly appealing preamp-amplifier package from Parasound."
    https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinf...number=PAHA23P

http://www.audioreview.com/product/a...halo-a-23.html
    That's exactly what my friend at the local woo store told me. For the money a great unit and the combo is excellent.

I have both the P5 and the A23. Luckily enough I've stumbled upon a mix of a system that plays oh-so-well together in my space. I imagine that if I had the money I could upgrade to "$5000" components across the board... I often get an itch for a bigger amp, but the room and very efficient PSB Synchrony speakers only confirm that decision. What's the saying, that if you're not happy with the first 25 watts... I can't imagine that the A21+ would sound that different. BTW, the P5 has a great phono stage for my Rega Planar 6, and a very handy bypass function for A/V.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I have both the P5 and the A23. Luckily enough I've stumbled upon a mix of a system that plays oh-so-well together in my space. I imagine that if I had the money I could upgrade to "$5000" components across the board... I often get an itch for a bigger amp, but the room and very efficient PSB Synchrony speakers only confirm that decision. What's the saying, that if you're not happy with the first 25 watts... I can't imagine that the A21+ would sound that different. BTW, the P5 has a great phono stage for my Rega Planar 6, and a very handy bypass function for A/V.
    Hi SBB. Haven't been Down your way in a while. Think I was at Reggies for something or other. I am a little stuck. The A23+, as I said, may be a better fit for this room I just opened, but the 21+ would sound oh so sweet. What's the over all sound of the 23+ like? I like rhythm sections so bass and upper bass into the mids are sort of important. How is it in this area? The 21+ would have no issues but could it then be a matter of over kill? Maybe a mid sized room if that.

Steve Guttenberg offers a link to a free dynamically uncompressed audiophile sampler from MA Recordings

https://www.marecordings.com/

I'll have to burn this to disc to play on my main system and see how it sounds.
    Last edited by Jerjo; 05-12-2020 at 03:10 PM.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^^^
    Thanx - fun !

Hi SBB. Haven't been Down your way in a while. Think I was at Reggies for something or other. I am a little stuck. The A23+, as I said, may be a better fit for this room I just opened, but the 21+ would sound oh so sweet. What's the over all sound of the 23+ like? I like rhythm sections so bass and upper bass into the mids are sort of important. How is it in this area? The 21+ would have no issues but could it then be a matter of over kill? Maybe a mid sized room if that.
    Oh, it's a very natural sounding amp, well balanced sound, very good at bass. Maybe too good, some have told me. The A21 (over the A23) may also deliver more class A power on the front end, obviously lot more total power on the back end. Money aside, most of what I read is "get the A21 over the A23 so you don't regret it later". I don't think too much power is a problem, unless you have some iffy speakers. Maybe someone could chime in...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

If you leave the volume knob on a civilized level, and the bigger amp has the same sound characteristics all the way, I don't see why the A21+ wouldn't work in a smaller room?

More dynamics I would presume. But I have never really experienced a large amp as a problem.
    But perhaps overkill depending on the loudspeaker.

"This amp is too powerful" said no one ever.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    It’s called dBs

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Actually I said it once back in the 80's when I blew out my Alison One tweeters with my Carver amp which had a "protective energy limiter circuit" but toasted those tweets quite thoroughly nevertheless, but WTF do I know?
    Last edited by Buddhabreath; 05-26-2020 at 01:23 PM.

A larger amp isn't exclusively for more decibels. More wattage at the same volume level will result in cleaner sound, due to more distance from the saturation threshold.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I think that you also need more wattage for powering speakers that aren't ported or that have a low impedance.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    If you leave the volume knob on a civilized level, and the bigger amp has the same sound characteristics all the way, I don't see why the A21+ wouldn't work in a smaller room?

More dynamics I would presume. But I have never really experienced a large amp as a problem.
    But perhaps overkill depending on the loudspeaker.
    This is the point that's causing rethink for me. It's not about watts or how loud it goes. It's about dynamics. In this case, the A21+, which is rated at 300wpc, should be much more dynamic at almost any volume level, whereas the A23+ boosts 160wpc. I think sometimes that when people apply more volume, they are really trying to make the sound more dynamic. Is my thinking off and should not the A21+, in therory, be more dynamic?

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    A larger amp isn't exclusively for more decibels. More wattage at the same volume level will result in cleaner sound, due to more distance from the saturation threshold.
    Good info here.