Page 74 of 129 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884124 ... LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 3205

Thread: The Audiophile Thread

Here's something else that even you engineer types might find an interesting read. It's written by an engineer at Belden, a no nonsense cable company that makes wire products for just about everything, least of which is audio. Hopefully these links work, if not, Google search for PS Audio Copper Magazine, issue 48 and issue 49 and issue 50. Open them up and go to the table of contents and look for "Cables, time is of the essence".

I'm not even going to try and summarize what is in these articles. I'll let you read them yourself and then you can comment on whatever you like.

http://www.psaudio.com/article/cable...ssence-part-1/

http://www.psaudio.com/article/cable...ssence-part-2/

http://www.psaudio.com/article/cable...ssence-part-3/
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I just emailed back and forth with Patrick Cullen who had no issues answering all my questions as well as giving me a New Customer discount. I just ordered a Gold Series cable from Cullen. When I asked similar questions about shipping, his reply was "I will build it today and ship it tomorrow and you should see it Monday or Tuesday" He also stated that a Tracking Number will be provided when the cable ships, unlike Maze who sent me a tracking number 2 days before they made the cable or shipped it.

Patrick also took the time to answer all my questions including placement suggestions. Class Act and business practices!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
    I am a Demanding Customer and will never be satisfied....WTF
    but isn't that their client base?

It turns out that Maze Audio is really just a guy and his kids making cables on the kitchen table anyway. But what an ass
    pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Here's something else that even you engineer types might find an interesting read. It's written by an engineer at Belden, a no nonsense cable company that makes wire products for just about everything, least of which is audio. Hopefully these links work, if not, Google search for PS Audio Copper Magazine, issue 48 and issue 49 and issue 50. Open them up and go to the table of contents and look for "Cables, time is of the essence".

I'm not even going to try and summarize what is in these articles. I'll let you read them yourself and then you can comment on whatever you like.

Belden entered the 'audiophile' (aka placebophile) cable market awhile ago. Articles like this are the result. Sad.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post

vp = 1/sqrt(L*C)

Where vp is the velocity of propagation in m/s

C is the distributed capacitance per unit length in pF

L is the distributed inductance per unit length in µH

So if the velocity of propagation is determined by the cables capacitance and inductance, it would be constant versus frequency unless capacitance and inductance change with audio frequency (certainly not by a factor of 22 over the audio freqs). What does change is the phase shift, but that is linear with frequency as it should be with a time delay. The main thing is that cables and distance need to be equal to the listener. That is handled by my system's delay, and group delay calibration. The change in delay versus frequency is much more of an issue in the room, than in a cable. It almost a joke to even be serious talking about this matter. But for that article to claim the velocity of propagation changes 22 to 1 over the audio frequencies in some cable, is just irrelevant bull.

So as promised, my Cullen Gold Series cable was built last Thursday and shipped Friday. I got it yesterday. Nice construction, sturdy connectors and very flexible for a 10g cord.

The Cullen went on my APC, the PS Audio Ac3 was moved from the APC to my VAC pre which freed up a Pangea AC14 for my OPPO.

After some tube warmup I had a brief listening session. Initial observations are a smoother ease of the music getting out of my speakers. Slightly more command of bass and vocals.

At this point, I wish that I started with Cullen and will surely be ordering more as funds permit.

I highly recommend Cullen Cables for eliminating noise and interference and insuring the best supply of electricity to your gear. Also I recommend them for the service, time taken to answer all questions and fast as promised delivery.

Initial observations are a smoother ease of the music getting out of my speakers.
    So, sort of a laxative for your speakers?

Banned
    I have a feeling my ears (or audio-processing center) are incapable of discriminating such differences...

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I have a feeling my ears (or audio-processing center) are incapable of discriminating such differences...
    I just realized that nobody really knows what my gear is and I have not figured out how to create a Signature Block to add it so this is what I am running, all 90s era except for the CDP.

Rotel 1072 CDP > VAC CLA1 MKII Dual Mono Tube Pre Amp > Counterpoint NPS-400 Hybrid Amp > Clearfield Continental Speakers (Early von Schwiekert when he worked for Counterpoint)
    ICs and Speaker Cables are Synergystic Research Kaleidoscope II series
    PCs Pangea, PS Audio, Cullen

Not all gear will show the differences.

By the way, I just noticed this morning that the Power Cord on my Vitamix is beefier and more insulated than what comes on most Audio gear.

Not all gear will show the differences.
    Or is it

Not all ear will show the differences.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Or is it

Not all ear will show the differences.
    I guess that all depends on whether this is The Audiophile Thread or the Naysayer Thread. Maybe I am in the wrong place for this discussion.

I thought that was quite the pun...

Anyway. I did some checking around with my power situation and it's not ideal. Seems when the basement was redone, two circuits were combined.. the one my gear is on and the one with the washing machine! I am now tasked to get a dedicated line. Might take a couple of months...

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I thought that was quite the pun...

Anyway. I did some checking around with my power situation and it's not ideal. Seems when the basement was redone, two circuits were combined.. the one my gear is on and the one with the washing machine! I am now tasked to get a dedicated line. Might take a couple of months...
    That sucks. Is it easier to make the new line for the Washer and free up the other circuit, or is there also more on that one? I had fun running my dedicated line. From far outside garage wall, up into sub-attic, down from between a drop ceiling and real ceiling, down into the area under steps to crawlspace, then up thru the floor in the living room behind my rack.

I was using same circuit as my kitchen and the Microwave and Fluorescent lighting played major havoc with the sound quality. The dedicated line was a great improvement. My incoming Voltage is also pretty low so the APC cleans it up some and then sends it out as a constant 122V. I have 20 y/o light bulbs because of the low voltage.

We will find out (what's easiest). I'm in Chicago, and we have good "clean" power; in fact, after the heat waves of the late 90s, a lot of infrastructure was added, including a major station just down the road. Our house - a wonder 50s ranch - was gut rehabbed when we bought it about 10 years ago, so again, almost all new electric. Chicago has pretty strict code, so everything is in conduit, grounded etc. I redid my "man cave" three years ago, and thought I had the electric sorted out, with just the hifi, and a couple outlets on one circuit ("front basement"). Went to flip some breakers to double check and ... not so much. I don't think it's a major job, just trace some circuits and find out what got combined and undo it. Funny thing is I have three electricians friends but i'll be goddammed if I can get one over to the hosue to work on it! . Maybe a trip to Harbor Freight is in order for that circuit tester!

Brick, before you go to all the trouble of putting your hi-fi on a dedicated circuit, why don't you run some free tests? Connect your stereo to a 100' extension cord, and try plugging it in from the kitchen, from the laundry room, from the living room and see what kind of difference you hear?

By the way, I just noticed this morning that the Power Cord on my Vitamix is beefier and more insulated than what comes on most Audio gear.
    Well you want your smoothies to be smooth, right? (Osterizer is warmer...)

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Brick, before you go to all the trouble of putting your hi-fi on a dedicated circuit, why don't you run some free tests? Connect your stereo to a 100' extension cord, and try plugging it in from the kitchen, from the laundry room, from the living room and see what kind of difference you hear?
    The question is... should I try multiple 100' extension cords

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    should work

I don't know if anyone here is familiar with this web magazine, but they've got some interesting pieces on audio, music, and culture. Published in Finland. https://www.inner-magazines.com/
    Last edited by StarThrower; 02-14-2018 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    I don't know if anyone here is familiar with web magazine, but they've got some interesting pieces on audio, music, and culture. Published in Finland. https://www.inner-magazines.com/
    Interesting site, thanks for the link.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I like this review:
    Simply put, the Elac UF5 does deliver fantastic sound for the price. I say this owning the Elac B6, and many other speakers. The primary strengths of the UNIFI Concentric driver design are its transparency and sound stage capabilities. Which means, the cymbals and voices sound extra clear, extended and un-colored. And if you position the speakers in a thoughtful manner, they can virtually "disappear" and a holographic audio soundstage will come into focus between, behind, besides and in front of the speakers. Close your eyes, point to the singer and she will be in between the speakers, magically. Now, most if not all high-end speakers will do this to varying degrees, but the UNIFI Elacs do it very well, especially considering the economical price. Also, the frequency response from high end down to low bass is quite smooth. No frequency overpowers another. This is why at $1,000 per pair they deliver great bang for buck. You would typically have to spend $2,000-$3,000 to find other floor standers that sound this smooth and transparent. The UF5 contains the exact same drivers as the UB5 bookshelf version except for the addition of 2 additional, identical bass drivers. This makes the speaker capable of higher volume before distortion, which makes them better for bigger rooms, whereas the UB5 is perhaps better suited for dens and bedrooms.
    I listened to the UF5, and they were awesome for $1000 a pair. Needs an amp that can handle 4 ohms. The concentric driver has beautiful imaging and the bass is good and tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I listened to the UF5, and they were awesome for $1000 a pair. Needs an amp that can handle 4 ohms. The concentric driver has beautiful imaging and the bass is good and tight.
    Thanks Firth. I bought a pair of the UF5s, but haven't swapped out the old ones yet.

Your review of the UF5 reminds me of the performance of my Meadowlark Eagles, which were around that same price point. I might have to check these out when I retool because Meadowlark went tits up shortly after I bought my pair.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Not many Gear threads here so I figured this was as good as any place to post this.

Last week someone put an ad out on our local Nextdoor.com site for a pair of Bose Speakers, no model or info. After a few emails and phone calls, we arranged for Saturday afternoon. From the pics, I was able to determine they were (01s, but not the series. The price was too good to pass up, and the person did more research after posting the ad and price. So off I went to find a pair of Series 4, with Chrome Tulip Stands (most are black) and the series 4 and 5 EQ box. The front grills need some TLC but everything else was intact. On hd a few small dings and the other had 2 faint beer glass rings on top. That is why in my house, NOTHING ever gets placed on top of my speakers.

I hooked them up directly between my Pre and Amp as opposed to the Tape Loop and wow, pretty good sound. My room however will not really support proper setup and optimal performance, but hey still pretty amazing. I never planned to keep them but rather play with them and then flip them. I gave the woman more money than she originally asked because I knew the value.

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.