Page 52 of 129 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 3205

Thread: The Audiophile Thread

Banned
    I've recently found that mounting a Somheizier titanium Zorbic Cube (tm) from the ceiling suspended dead center between the speakers and desired sweet spot dramatically expands the sound stage instantly even for monaural recordings and increased perception of dynamic range beyond the capabilities of human hearing. Eventually my entire body was vibrating in exctasy with every change and subtlety of frequency and timbre having a unique and profound effect. Then I woke up from my coma. Try it!

You're trying to be funny -- and some of the woo in audiophile circles is VERY VERY FUNNY (like the metal discs on the walls, the Reese's Peanut Butter cups on top of the connectors, and the crystals you place in the room) -- but we have also discussed some serious issues here and hopefully we can continue to do so. I do not wish to derail this thread (any more than I already have....) with digressions into blatant ridiculousness.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 02-04-2016 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Sorry, I don't see any added magnets on the PHT website?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    The only audio gadget that gives you the munchies.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    You're trying to be funny ...
    Sorry you didn't get a chuckle out of that - that was my only intention. Believe me, it will not happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Sorry you didn't get a chuckle out of that - that was my only intention. Believe me, it will not happen again.
    Only rcarlberg is allowed attempts at humor in this thread.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Only rcarlberg is allowed attempts at humor in this thread.

OK guys, since this WAS my thread, I have a question. What is the best source for purchasing vinyl records online? Please don't say Amazon, as I know they don't pack stuff carefully enough to ever qualify for my vinyl purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    OK guys, since this WAS my thread, I have a question. What is the best source for purchasing vinyl records online? Please don't say Amazon, as I know they don't pack stuff carefully enough to ever qualify for my vinyl purchases.
    Depends on what you are looking for. If you want prog we sell it, Wayside as well. If you want general "stuff" I hate to say it but Amazon is probably your best bet. Any large mail order company is not exactly going to show TLC to your vinyl order.

Buying used at Amazon you'll deal with the seller direct, not Amazon. Or are you talking new vinyls exclusively?

You can probably pay extra for expedited shipping, with tracking and insurance. That might guarantee a little more care & handling.

I've gotten some new non-prog vinyl from Amazon and it was shipped without a problem.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned

The Audiophile Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Depends on what you are looking for. If you want prog we sell it, Wayside as well. If you want general "stuff" I hate to say it but Amazon is probably your best bet. Any large mail order company is not exactly going to show TLC to your vinyl order.
    I'm doing my best to boycott Amazon. First they moved to MD and I have to pay sales tax. Second since they started prime, free shipping requires a much bigger purchase. I do better with Laser and Wayside, and feel better about supporting Prog retail[emoji106]

Music Direct and Acoustic Sounds are good online retailers. They won't be the cheapest out there, but they have a good selection and will take care when packing and sending your records. Laser's Edge has a small but good selection of recent prog albums, and their service is top-notch as well.

I also buy a lot of records (both new and used) through the Amazon Marketplace. You have to do your homework, but the sellers are generally good to excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Buying used at Amazon you'll deal with the seller direct, not Amazon. Or are you talking new vinyls exclusively?

You can probably pay extra for expedited shipping, with tracking and insurance. That might guarantee a little more care & handling.
    New vinyl. I won't buy used without examining it directly.

There are used record sellers around any metropolitan area, you just have to find them. Some are better than others, obviously, but any are worth the trip just to look through the dollar bins.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

This app isn't perfect, but it will give you a general idea of what's around you - http://www.thevinyldistrict.com/mobi...ne-or-android/

Ive been using a REL Strata III sub with my speakers for 15+ years now. A sub doesn't just affect the bass frequencies, it actually helps accentuate the treble too, at least that's how my ears perceive it even though it doesn't actually play these frequencies.

However, I've only had one sub in the system. Yesterday I saw a second used one for sale on Audiogon, in cherry to match my first one, and bought it. Having 2 subs in the system should help alleviate bass nodes in the room, and I expect it will add some additional punch and strength to the music. Anyone else use 2 subs?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Ive been using a REL Strata III sub with my speakers for 15+ years now. A sub doesn't just affect the bass frequencies, it actually helps accentuate the treble too, at least that's how my ears perceive it even though it doesn't actually play these frequencies.

However, I've only had one sub in the system. Yesterday I saw a second used one for sale on Audiogon, in cherry to match my first one, and bought it. Having 2 subs in the system should help alleviate bass nodes in the room, and I expect it will add some additional punch and strength to the music. Anyone else use 2 subs?
    I have 2 Polk subs. Two can make a huge difference in a fairly large room.
    BTW, using powered subs allows your amplifier for your main speakers to work more efficiently, so it can push the highs harder without distorting.

OK, I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-650 headphones. Does anyone here use a DAC/headphone amp combo? What do you recommend? These are very high impedance headphones, rated at 300 ohms.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Finally took care of this. I bought a NAD M22 Master Series Amplifier to replace the Carver. Haven't hooked it up yet, probably tomorrow. I spent 33% more than intended, but I think I'll be happy. My Christmas present to myself, but I'm using the cash I got for Christmas and putting it toward this purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Still happy with my Carver TFM-35 after 12 years (e-Bay purchase) and just replaced the lamps. No problems except contacts on the volume, but that's always at 100% (controlled via the receiver so I haven't bothered). I'm guessing from your new choice you might have had the TFM-35 as well. I'm sure you'll be happy with the NAD and I'd be interested to hear what you think and any perceived differences from driving your speakers with the Carver.
    Well, I've had a chance to listen to this new NAD M22 for a while now. Yes, the amp that crapped out was the Carver TFM-35 250 watts/channel amplifier. To say the difference is striking would be an understatement. I bought the Carver in the mid-90s, and if you asked me what it's strengths were, I would have said depth, presence, soundstage. The NAD absolutely kills it on all points. Transparency, clarity, presence, soundstage, all sound incredible to me. With the Carver, there were times when I would get bad distortion at certain frequencies, sounding almost like a contact issue. I thought the problem was with the speakers. No such thing with the NAD. I don't have friends with high end systems to compare it to, so maybe I wouldn't be as impressed as I am if I did, but I am knocked out by the sound of this amp. Now I'm wondering how much of an improvement in sound would result from springing for high end speakers. My current speakers have no functional issues, but they aren't high end, and although things are sounding good now, I can't help but wonder if going to the next level can wait for the speakers to crap out.

Not even trying to be funny I have placed speakers inside open sided cardboard boxes with great results. No kidding.
    Still alive and well...

Good for you. Makes it easier for the thieves to haul them out!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Well, I've had a chance to listen to this new NAD M22 for a while now. Yes, the amp that crapped out was the Carver TFM-35 250 watts/channel amplifier. To say the difference is striking would be an understatement. I bought the Carver in the mid-90s, and if you asked me what it's strengths were, I would have said depth, presence, soundstage. The NAD absolutely kills it on all points. Transparency, clarity, presence, soundstage, all sound incredible to me. With the Carver, there were times when I would get bad distortion at certain frequencies, sounding almost like a contact issue. I thought the problem was with the speakers. No such thing with the NAD. I don't have friends with high end systems to compare it to, so maybe I wouldn't be as impressed as I am if I did, but I am knocked out by the sound of this amp. Now I'm wondering how much of an improvement in sound would result from springing for high end speakers. My current speakers have no functional issues, but they aren't high end, and although things are sounding good now, I can't help but wonder if going to the next level can wait for the speakers to crap out.
    I don't know what your current speakers are but my guess is an upgrade would be noticeable. Some stores would even be willing to let you bring in your amp so you can pair it with the right speakers.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I don't know what your current speakers are but my guess is an upgrade would be noticeable. Some stores would even be willing to let you bring in your amp so you can pair it with the right speakers.
    I currently have a pair of Athena floor speakers. I'm fairly certain that going high end would make a significant upgrade, the question becomes which speakers to go with. I'll probably be asking questions along that line here. Hopefully it won't be too boring.

The speakers need to fit the room. Better to know what your room size is, and any WAF restrictions that may be required, before making a recommendation. Your budget also.