Page 107 of 129 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111117 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,675 of 3205

Thread: The Audiophile Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Has anybody ever tried to refoam their speakers? Is it something that a novice might be able to do?
    It's easier than reglazing a bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    It's easier than reglazing a bathtub.
    Now that’s funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    These speakers Snell type E II. Snell had some pretty interesting designs in the day. I just read the Absolute Sound review of the type A. Where I think these were an improvement over the A, was the wideband woofer with port, front midrange to treble driver, and a rear firing very high range tweeter. Surely the midrange to treble driver by itself would beam the highs and certainly the cross over rolled off the high end of that driver. The reflections of the rear firing tweeter at the very high end would smooth out the spatial response. At 16 KHz the highs are basically random in phase and combine in power after reflection with the high end from the front driver. The mids and treble which matter for coherency were perfectly aligned since they came from the same driver.
    The rear firing tweeter is on the AIIIi not on the AII or AIII.
    A friend of mine has that one. It has a wider/bigger staging than my AII, but the 12"woofer is slower and not as dynamic as my 8" in AII - and we have tried many different amps around 250 w...

So its a dilemma. But I generally prefer mine for listening to dynamic music, the bass kicks and goes down to 30 hz is fully satisfying.
    I have added an extra tweeter (in a separate box placed on top of my speakers), pointing backwards, playing above 11khz, but I cant say it makes much difference.
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 05-05-2022 at 12:48 PM.

Thanks,
    I think I found a kit that matches. I'll see what I can manage.
    I've done it quite a few times. Precision event!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I refoamed some car speakers in the past. Easy peasy if you find the right surrounds. I found an online kit with the foam surrounds and glue when I did mine.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

An interesting conversation between Alan Parsons and Steven Wilson

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I refoamed some car speakers in the past. Easy peasy if you find the right surrounds. I found an online kit with the foam surrounds and glue when I did mine.
    I picked up an exact fit to replace the foam.
    Now the challenge is to actually get around to doing it before the replacement foam degrades.

I picked up an exact fit to replace the foam.
    Now the challenge is to actually get around to doing it before the replacement foam degrades.
    The primary cause of foam degradation is the car's interior getting hot from sitting in the sun. That's more of an issue here in the desert, but the problem isn't unique to here. If your replacement foam is sitting in your air conditioned house, it won't degrade at the same rate.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Oh, wait, if we are talking car speakers, what kind of idiot would buy $2500 (car door) 6.5" Woofers, $2000 3" Midranges, $1800 Tweeters and match them with a $500 8" Sub and power it all from two Amps, across 7-channels pumping out 1,400 watts?

https://www.audison.eu/products/th-k3-ii-a-orchestra/

(Answer: me and they sound amazing) Hit me up if you are in So Cal and want to hear it.....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Oh, wait, if we are talking car speakers, what kind of idiot would buy $2500 (car door) 6.5" Woofers, $2000 3" Midranges, $1800 Tweeters and match them with a $500 8" Sub and power it all from two Amps, across 7-channels pumping out 1,400 watts?

(Answer: me and they sound amazing) Hit me up if you are in So Cal and want to hear it.....
    The best auto stereo systems require complete system design accounting for the automobile itself. You could spend all of that gold on components and have f@@ked EQ especially in the low end and never achieve a sound as good as an excellent set of headphones. Some people have so much money, it does not matter how much it costs. But if I had the money, I would buy the car which was quiet enough to justify an Atier audio option. This website does reviews in the cockpit with calibrated microphones:

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    The primary cause of foam degradation is the car's interior getting hot from sitting in the sun. That's more of an issue here in the desert, but the problem isn't unique to here. If your replacement foam is sitting in your air conditioned house, it won't degrade at the same rate.
    That's not an issue since this is a pair of floor-standing speakers. My comment was more of a joke about my tendency to procrastinate or prioritize things that are more important to my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post

It would make more sense in a luxury car insulated from external and road noise. I once drove a 2000 Chevy Venture van with fiberglass insulation in every body panel. The interior sound was much better than other cars I've driven.

That's not an issue since this is a pair of floor-standing speakers. My comment was more of a joke about my tendency to procrastinate or prioritize things that are more important to my wife.
    I'll respond to this when I get around to it.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

It would make more sense in a luxury car insulated from external and road noise.
    Last year we got a used luxury SUV and ye gods, it is so much quieter. The audio system is quite good. Whether a sublime recording (say, Steely Dan) or thunderous, CDs sound astounding without all that noise to deal with.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The eons are closing
    Does anyone use any IsoAcoustics products?

I have a NAD C388 paired with my Whafedale EVOs

I dislike the stands I am using for the speakers and have been considering alternatives to reduce vibration etc

Opinions appreciated

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MudShark22; 06-27-2022 at 03:07 PM.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    It would make more sense in a luxury car insulated from external and road noise. I once drove a 2000 Chevy Venture van with fiberglass insulation in every body panel. The interior sound was much better than other cars I've driven
    Oh yeah, I did have extensive sound deadening added, it helps a lot...

Just got new loudspeakers for my 2-channel hifi main rig. Replaced 20+ year-old B&W 602s, which I will be giving to my daughter when she gets her first real hifi rig. Those were amazing speakers for $650 back in 1999!

I purchased Focal Chora 826 loudspeakers, which I am absolutely loving. They are made in France and are fairly new to their line-up. They have a gorgeous top end, and the midrange and bass are both fantastic as well. Not broken in yet, but Sibelius is sounding to die for right now.

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/art...ocal-chora-826

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Cables - anyone?

Change of cables can do small miracles to enhance the sound of your hifi.
    They are not cheap (buy them seond hand), but it surprised me how much more I got out of my system.
    Audioquest Type 8

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Just got new loudspeakers for my 2-channel hifi main rig. Replaced 20+ year-old B&W 602s, which I will be giving to my daughter when she gets her first real hifi rig. Those were amazing speakers for $650 back in 1999!

I purchased Focal Chora 826 loudspeakers, which I am absolutely loving. They are made in France and are fairly new to their line-up. They have a gorgeous top end, and the midrange and bass are both fantastic as well. Not broken in yet, but Sibelius is sounding to die for right now.

Focal? Excellent! The ones I have heard have been great. But as a B+W owner (10 speakers) I don’t want your Focals to be TOO good, LOL!

Enjoy the ear candy!

Focals are good!
    Can these go deep enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Focal? Excellent! The ones I have heard have been great. But as a B+W owner (10 speakers) I don’t want your Focals to be TOO good, LOL!

Enjoy the ear candy!
    Thx man, appreciated! The 602s were/are amazing speakers and they gave me more joy over the years than I could ever possibly type here. It was a reallly tough (and scary) decision to want to make a change as there was nothing to 'complain' about, but these new ones are definitely a step or two above so I'm happy I pulled the trigger! What model B&Ws do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Focals are good!
    Can these go deep enough?
    Thx! Yes definitely go low enough. My B&Ws were standmounts and these are 3-way floorstanders. I also have a B&W sub hooked up as well, so I have zero complaints in the mid-bass/bass region. If you know "Put a Motor in Yourself" from FZ Civilization Phaze III, near the beginning when this very low octave synth tone enters, it was truly unbelievable! My Rogue integrated seems to have really decent bass as well so I think I'm getting great synergy right away here. I need to play around with wall placement and toe-in a bit, plus the crossover settings on the sub, but otherwise I'm very very happy already and I know these speakers will only get better as they get broken in over the next few weeks. I can't imagine what the $15k Kanta 3s would sound like! Oy vey.

Enjoy. My main speakers are Focal Sopra 2s. I've had them for 5 years. By far, the best I've ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Enjoy. My main speakers are Focal Sopra 2s. I've had them for 5 years. By far, the best I've ever owned.
    I bet! Those suckers cost as much my Mazda . That's pretty amazing. What does the rest of your system consist of?

Thx man, appreciated! The 602s were/are amazing speakers and they gave me more joy over the years than I could ever possibly type here. It was a reallly tough (and scary) decision to want to make a change as there was nothing to 'complain' about, but these new ones are definitely a step or two above so I'm happy I pulled the trigger! What model B&Ws do you have?
    My main two speakers (L,R) are 683 towers. Four 606s provide the side channels, the center channel is a HTM6, and four M-1 provide the overhead ATMOS signals. My sub is a SVS SB-3000 (it is amazing).

I’d love to upgrade the 683s because the new B+W speakers are even better, but that is significant coin so I’ll be keeping them for a while longer.

Thx! Yes definitely go low enough. My B&Ws were standmounts and these are 3-way floorstanders. I also have a B&W sub hooked up as well, so I have zero complaints in the mid-bass/bass region. If you know "Put a Motor in Yourself" from FZ Civilization Phaze III, near the beginning when this very low octave synth tone enters, it was truly unbelievable! My Rogue integrated seems to have really decent bass as well so I think I'm getting great synergy right away here. I need to play around with wall placement and toe-in a bit, plus the crossover settings on the sub, but otherwise I'm very very happy already and I know these speakers will only get better as they get broken in over the next few weeks. I can't imagine what the $15k Kanta 3s would sound like! Oy vey.

You could try this track (as wave or CD, youtube probaby eats the bottom end)- the bass synth provides you 3 deep clear shaking notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy-XlbdvA7E