Page 126 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2676116122123124125126127128129 LastLast
Results 3,126 to 3,150 of 3205

Thread: The Audiophile Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Second hand: https://www.hifishark.com/ (if you know what you want)
    More woo merchant than hi-fi. And not local to Dana5140 (Denmark!)

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Looking in Absolute Sound for stereo advice is like reading Playboy for dating advice.
    Now that's funny 😁

More woo merchant than hi-fi. And not local to Dana5140 (Denmark!)
    90% HiFi. You need to know what you want, and then make a search. When you have made a search you can filter the results to sources (like ebay), regions, country, price and currency.
    But as always beware of scam. If the seller dont have a paypal account then skip it.

Like https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=tannoy

Looking in Absolute Sound for stereo advice is like reading Playboy for dating advice.
    So Kate Upton doesn't like long walks on the beach and cute little puppies. No wonder I can't get her to return my calls.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Anybody here that knows or have experienced CODA amps?
    Due to their marketing strategy there aren't many reviews out there (except people who bought a CODA).
    I am possibly about to buy the CODA Continuum 8 power amp (second hand).

The only review of this model I found:
    https://hometheaterreview.com/coda-t...reo-amplifier/
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 02-07-2023 at 07:31 AM.

The eons are closing
    I will say that the reviews I have read are glowing. And the described sound profile is appealing too.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I will say that the reviews I have read are glowing. And the described sound profile is appealing too.
    If one looks at the specifications alone they are very very good. As good as Krell, Boulder, Mcintosh, Naim, etc., but considerably cheaper.
    But since they are not well known, their resale value also drops faster than well known high-end brands.

Due to their marketing strategy there aren't many reviews out there (except people who bought a CODA).

I have a CODA preamp that I used when I set up a second system. I’ve kept it as a back up and loaner. Quite good. Very well constructed. Its not going to compete with my Boulder preamp but its built to a different price point. CODA is an OEM manufacturer for other brands. I suspect the amp will serve you well.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    I have a CODA preamp that I used when I set up a second system. I’ve kept it as a back up and loaner. Quite good. Very well constructed. Its not going to compete with my Boulder preamp but its built to a different price point. CODA is an OEM manufacturer for other brands. I suspect the amp will serve you well.
    The only complaints I have read was the remote for the CODA preamps. That would never be an issue for me, I don't mind moving my butt.
    Besides I have a EAR Yoshino 864 tube preamp which I like a lot.

There was a Boulder 812 preamp on an auction here last week. I did try to get it, but it got to pricey, and I 'need' a new power amp more.

Thanks for your input !

Just recently sold a Coda 11 amp. It was the piece that I kept the longest. That one is a pure class A design so it runs pretty hot, on the up side, it held its own against a lot of more expensive amps. Their early, pre amps (FET-1 and FET-2) can be a fantastic bargain used. Their marketing (or lack of it) may have made them not have great resale value. I think this may have changed a little recently. I certainly haven't heard everything, but had no interest in replacing the Model 11 until auditioning Jeff Rowland Model 6 mono blocks and later a pair of Clayton M-300 mono blocks. Would love to check out (or steal) Ken's Boulder pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 2 View Post
    Just recently sold a Coda 11 amp. It was the piece that I kept the longest. That one is a pure class A design so it runs pretty hot, on the up side, it held its own against a lot of more expensive amps. Their early, pre amps (FET-1 and FET-2) can be a fantastic bargain used. Their marketing (or lack of it) may have made them not have great resale value. I think this may have changed a little recently. I certainly haven't heard everything, but had no interest in replacing the Model 11 until auditioning Jeff Rowland Model 6 mono blocks and later a pair of Clayton M-300 mono blocks. Would love to check out (or steal) Ken's Boulder pieces.
    The 2060 amp alone weighs 220 lbs. You won’t get far.
    Last edited by LASERCD; 02-08-2023 at 08:47 PM.

Picked up the CODA in Malmö, Sweden, and have listened for a few hours.
    It totally lives up to the expectations I had. More details, more dynamics, more liquid/smooth top, even more hold of the bass.

On my CD-player (T.A.C C-60) there is a button on the front where you, on the fly, can shift between ss and tube output. Now the difference is much bigger than it was with my old amp.

On my CD-player (T.A.C C-60) there is a button on the front where you, on the fly, can shift between ss and tube output. Now the difference is much bigger than it was with my old amp.
    Kinda afraid to ask, which sounds better to you?

Kinda afraid to ask, which sounds better to you?
    It depends on the recording.
    And there is a trade off.
    Tubes are a bit nicer to listen to, earfriendly, but if there is a deep bass, the bass gets less accurate, slightly boomy..
    If you have a recording where the bass is profound, well recorded, and you want to 'hear it all' I would use the ss position.
    But again if the bassdrum is recorded (too) loud, I might want less deep punch and use the tube position.
    With the CODA amp I think most music would sound the best in the tube position, especially if it's a bit threble'ish, or the bass end is not that important.

I will have to try my way

Okay that's fair. Thanks

Essentially the same results I reported in posts #3001 and #2863.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 02-09-2023 at 10:03 PM.

Banned
    A lot of Schiit talk

The eons are closing
    :-)
    I have two Schiit ViDAR 1s running my system - I am a fan
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Minimalist turntable design, or Roomba as turntable:

https://www.yankodesign.com/2023/03/...lmost-magical/

Being RC isn't here to lose his mind, it's safe to post this. Midway through here, Paul talks about breaking in cables. I did notice a significant improvement in my system after the first 100-200 hours.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I dunno... you have guys who declare a speaker is unlistenable that doesn't measure as flat as possible (rather than just going by sound) but then turn around and say they only trust their ears when comes to phenomena they can't substantiate with measurements. These guys have even talked themselves into the directionallity of cables - even digital patch cables - even fiber optic cables.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I dunno... you have guys who declare a speaker is unlistenable that doesn't measure as flat as possible (rather than just going by sound) but then turn around and say they only trust their ears when comes to phenomena they can't substantiate with measurements. These guys have even talked themselves into the directionallity of cables - even digital patch cables - even fiber optic cables.
    Bear in mind precision test equipment does not hear sound the way humans do. Looking at technical specifications alone, all speakers should sound pretty much the same. But to the human ear they sound quite different. Depending on shape, materials, type and placement of bass port, et cetera, et cetera. By that same token, a typical human can hear the difference between the same note being played on an oboe and an english horn. Even the most sophisticated test equipment would at a minimum struggle with that.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Bear in mind precision test equipment does not hear sound the way humans do. Looking at technical specifications alone, all speakers should sound pretty much the same. But to the human ear they sound quite different. Depending on shape, materials, type and placement of bass port, et cetera, et cetera. By that same token, a typical human can hear the difference between the same note being played on an oboe and an english horn. Even the most sophisticated test equipment would at a minimum struggle with that.
    Test equipment, yes. Having worked on automatic recognition for 40 years, I can guarantee with a high degree of certainty, if one has good training data, one can create the decision space which will have enough difference resolved to make an accurate decision. Speech recognition relies on this and it works like a charm. Difficulty is when noise is high and corrupts the ability to tell the difference accurately. That’s where noise cancellation comes in, and what my master thesis was on 42 years ago.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/mofi...ds-settlement/

Vinyl producer Mobile Fidelity, known as MoFi, has agreed to a $25 million settlement over claims that their “all analog” records were created using digital methods.

The controversy came to light last year when Mike Esposito, a record store owner in Phoenix, published a YouTube video claiming MoFi had been using digital files since 2011. Esposito’s accusations were soon confirmed, with The Washington Post issuing a damning report on MoFi. The company soon issued a formal apology. “We apologize for using vague language, allowing false narratives to propagate and for taking for granted the goodwill and trust our customers place in the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab brand,” MoFi president Jim Davis said at the time. “Moving forward, we are adopting a policy of 100% transparency regarding the provenance of our audio products.”

The admission did little to pacify outraged vinyl collectors, who for years had spent high sums collecting records they believed to be sourced exclusively from the original master tapes.

In their class action lawsuit, plaintiffs argued that MoFi’s hidden actions significantly lowered the value of their records.

“Original recording tapes age, so only a limited number of analog recordings can be produced,” the complaint explained. “When defendant began using a digital mastering process in its records as opposed to purely analog, it inherently produced less valuable records – because the records were no longer of limited quantity and were not as close to the studio recording – yet still charged the higher price.”

Even though the $25 million settlement certainly seems like a large number, some consumers argued that the deal was unfair when compared to the amount they could have gotten had the suit gone to trial.

As it stands, MoFi has agreed to let all customers either receive a full refund and return their purchases, or keep their albums and instead take a 5% cash refund or a 10% refund in credit.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/mofi...ds-settlement/

Vinyl producer Mobile Fidelity, known as MoFi, has agreed to a $25 million settlement over claims that their “all analog” records were created using digital methods.
    The settlement doesn't address the pain and suffering by golden eared audiophiles who've been outted as not being to tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Being RC isn't here to lose his mind, it's safe to post this.
    He made this a more interesting thread.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!