Thread: The Audiophile Thread

  1. #2451
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    7,672
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ^^ It's not just the conversion hardware. The computing power required to capture and process DSD is far more massive than the most commonly used 24/44.1 PCM. The same applies to anything above 48KHz PCM by the way. Let's not forget: it isn't even possible to earn a living as a recording artist anymore.
    Yes, I already mention that mixing DSD is exotic. Your comment referred specifically to DACs. Anyway I contend that it is more ideal for high res digital to be supported via archiving data via DSD format, even if the mixing is in PCM, and then converted to DSD and recorded on SACD hybrid. The SACD hybrid can have a CD Layer, a Stereo DSD later and a multichannel layer. Iím not sure how many channels are supported on SACD with DVD density. I think Sony decided to just move to Blu-ray and other multichannel compressed but lossless formats like Dolby Atmos.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  2. #2452
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    3,159
    ^^ When I used the generic term "equipment," I was referring not only to the audio interfaces and the computer equipment required to support them, but also the software. The Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, et cetera, et cetera one buys at Guitar Center just ain't gonna cut it. DSD software is on a whole nother level.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  3. #2453
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    7,298
    Just pulled the trigger on these:

    Rogue Audio Sphinx v3 (integrated hybrid amp - 100w at 8ohms)
    Pro-Ject The Classic SB with superpack including Ortofon Quintet Red moving coil cartridge

    This TT has been discontinued in favor of the newer EVO which has an aluminum sub-platter (and maybe a different arm) but the price was too good to pass up, and I've read very positive reviews on both these things, so there you have it. I am driving B&W 602 S2 loudspeakers and still have my Rotel CD player (RCD 951 HDCD equipped). I had a Rotel integrated RA 972 but it shit the bed and I needed a good MM/MC phono stage anyway.

    None of it is here yet (amp is out of stock until June 25) so I will keep you posted when I get this thing up and running. The Classic table looks like a Linn LP12 ripoff and it doesn't sound as good but I think it's going to be fine for me. This gear was within my budget and I plan on upgrading my loudspeakers in a few years but for now the B&W's sound amazing for (then late 90's) around $650 US.

    PS - also got a record doctor V cleaning machine and all the cleaning brushes and stuff
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

    "And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

  4. #2454
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    7,298
    Also, where do you guys buy your vinyl online? Any good recs for the crazy shit we listen to for good prices?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

    "And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

  5. #2455
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    11,221
    ^ I don't buy reissues on vinyl, so Discogs and ebay for me.

  6. #2456
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    7,298
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ I don't buy reissues on vinyl...
    Is that because of the use of a digital master?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

    "And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

  7. #2457
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    11,221
    ^ That and space issues. I'll buy a vinyl reissue if it's the only option, or if the only choices on a new release are vinyl, download or cassette. But if it's an older release, I'll either buy original vinyl or CD reissue.

  8. #2458
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Also, where do you guys buy your vinyl online? Any good recs for the crazy shit we listen to for good prices?
    I get lucky at the Goodwill occasionally.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

  9. #2459
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NH, USA
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ That and space issues. I'll buy a vinyl reissue if it's the only option, or if the only choices on a new release are vinyl, download or cassette. But if it's an older release, I'll either buy original vinyl or CD reissue.
    Pretty much the same for me. I hate it when reissues are done on 180 or 200 gram vinyl. I don't hear a difference in sound quality at all-the heavy weight just adds more stress to the shelves.

  10. #2460
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    7,672
    Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Pretty much the same for me. I hate it when reissues are done on 180 or 200 gram vinyl. I don't hear a difference in sound quality at all-the heavy weight just adds more stress to the shelves.
    Iím not a vinyl head, but isnít the point of heavier vinyl, longevity?
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  11. #2461
    Member LASERCD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Voorhees, NJ
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I’m not a vinyl head, but isn’t the point of heavier vinyl, longevity?
    Not really. Its purely a marketing tool that has taken hold.

  12. #2462
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    3,159
    I read somewhere that 180G vinyl is better at transmitting platter and motor noise to the cartridge. Just like sound travels better underwater, higher density transmits sound more efficiently. Thus, lighter records equal less noise.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  13. #2463
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    11,221
    Warp resistance?

  14. #2464
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    7,672
    http://vinyljunkies.co/180-gram-vinyl-records/

    Weight = stability = dampened vibrations
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  15. #2465
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NH, USA
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Warp resistance?
    Not at all. I got a 200 gram reissue of The Who Sell Out around 15 years ago. It was on the Classic Records label and they were notorious for QC issues; when they were good, they were very good though. The LP was too warped to play, even with my outer ring clamp. I had to send it back.

    Anyone heard of a new label called The Electric Recording Company? They are selling vinyl reissues in limited editions of between 150-500. The prices are only $150-600 bucks each. No I'm not kidding. I believe they are reissuing Love's "Forever Changes" before the end of the year.

    https://www.theelectricrecordingco.com/shop/

  16. #2466
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ I don't buy reissues on vinyl, so Discogs and ebay for me.
    I don't buy reissues for one reason: I want the OG. The real thing.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

  17. #2467
    Member LASERCD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Voorhees, NJ
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Not at all. I got a 200 gram reissue of The Who Sell Out around 15 years ago. It was on the Classic Records label and they were notorious for QC issues; when they were good, they were very good though. The LP was too warped to play, even with my outer ring clamp. I had to send it back.

    Anyone heard of a new label called The Electric Recording Company? They are selling vinyl reissues in limited editions of between 150-500. The prices are only $150-600 bucks each. No I'm not kidding. I believe they are reissuing Love's "Forever Changes" before the end of the year.

    https://www.theelectricrecordingco.com/shop/
    I actually heard the first release from The Electric Recording Company. It was played back on a sub-million dollar system. Wonderful sounding album. Noisy as fuck. For all the money they spent on their mastering system they spent nothing on the pressing. They could have given it to Pallas and it would have turned out stunning.

  18. #2468
    Member LASERCD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Voorhees, NJ
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I read somewhere that 180G vinyl is better at transmitting platter and motor noise to the cartridge. Just like sound travels better underwater, higher density transmits sound more efficiently. Thus, lighter records equal less noise.
    I weigh my albums before I play them to adjust VTA. Certainly countries (at certain time periods) were notorious for lower weight albums. Made no difference. I have albums that weight about 100 grams and they sound absolutely spectacular. I have 200 gram albums were are so noisy to be almost unplayable.

  19. #2469
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    6,427

  20. #2470
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    3,159
    ^^ I resemble the implications of that comic.
    Last edited by progmatist; 06-21-2020 at 03:18 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  21. #2471
    Member hFx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I brought my AKG K1000's (and a small class A amp) to the studio gigs in the 90's! Damn good! Damn weird


    No pic exists fortunately, but you can imagine...
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

  22. #2472
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    6,427

  23. #2473
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    7,298
    ^ nice pics!

    Anybody hear the Henry Cow reissue LPs from 2017 or so?

  24. #2474
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NH, USA
    Posts
    260
    Are there any Linn LP12 owners on here? I've often been curious about this turntable. I auditioned it once years ago and remember really liking it. I'm happy with my current VPI turntable, but eventually I'll be upgrading either up the VPI line or to another brand. The LP12 is crazy expensive now, especially considering all the add-ons that are available. What do you think Ken/Laser's Edge? Or anybody for that matter.

  25. #2475
    Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    I brought my AKG K1000's (and a small class A amp) to the studio gigs in the 90's! Damn good! Damn weird


    No pic exists fortunately, but you can imagine...
    Looks like an It's Academic team.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •