Page 93 of 129 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 3205

Thread: The Audiophile Thread

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I don't know what this means.
    What is room correction to you?

Quote Originally Posted by The Wikipedia article linked above
    DRC systems are not normally used to create a perfect inversion of the room's response because a perfect correction would only be valid at the location where it was measured: a few millimeters away the arrival times from various reflections will differ and the inversion will be imperfect. The imperfectly corrected signal may end up sounding worse than the uncorrected signal because the acausal filters used in digital room correction may cause pre-echo.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Well, yeh. That doesn’t mean that a model can’t be derived that represents the predominant amplitude and delay differences between channels. Even a speaker has a response that is very complex and At the listener’s position there would never be enough resolution to perfectly represent the response. However DRC doesn’t have to do a perfect job. My receiver can use a waveform to accurately enough to measure the distance from each speaker to the listener, with a sample rate of 192 Ksamps/sec 32 bits/sample. Correcting that delay alone makes a huge difference in the perception of space.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    My receiver can use a waveform to accurately enough to measure the distance from each speaker to the listener
    I think you mean "delay" not "distance." A simple tape measure is all you would need for distance.

And as Wikipedia points out, correcting delay only works if you sit perfectly still..... Is your listening space such that you're locked in place?

Banned
    I think you mean "delay" not "distance." A simple tape measure is all you would need for distance.

And as Wikipedia points out, correcting delay only works if you sit perfectly still..... Is your listening space such that you're locked in place?
    The receiver gives the measurement of delay, as a distance. You act if you know something but haven’t understood anything I have written.

That's true. I haven't understood a word you've written. Maybe it *is* me.

My next subwoofer

Hoejtaler.jpg

That's nuthin'

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    My next subwoofer

Hoejtaler.jpg
    Looks more like a forkliftwoofer.

^^Priceless!!!

PS Audio dectet filter - there is a difference, and my power amp stopped humming.
    1 Powercable from wall to the filter mounted - as expected, I couldn't hear any difference.

Just bought a new cd-player, a Vincent Audio T.A.C. C-60.
    The drawer on the old one (Marantz CD-16KI which I was very happy with) made troubles that can't be fixed permanently, has to be adjusted every second month or so, since you cant get spare parts.
    The new one is better, and has a rather unique feature - you can 'on the fly' shift beteween a tubed and solid-state output stage.
    The 2 stages don't sound that different, but it depends what kind of music and the recording you listen to what sounds the best.
    As usual tube: more presence, you are actually more there, slightly bloated bass, and the treble rolling a bit off.

For those of you into reissued vinyl, buy now. Prices are going to go up, a lot, with no end in sight.

There are only 2 companies in the entire world that produce lacquers used in the cutting of vinyl, one in Japan, the other in Banning, California (Apollo/Transco Masters). The one in Banning, that makes 75% of the world's supply, was a complete loss in a fire on 2/06.

The Japanese company made a statement, that they will not be accepting new clients, or tooling up to increase production. They have been operating at peak capacity for quite a few years.

Apollo is also the only manufacturer for cutting styli for Westrex cutting heads. So, anyone cutting on Westrex machines, lost their source.

Once the backsock of blank lacquers around the world is gone, who knows what will happen.

https://www.analogplanet.com/content...ansco-disaster
    Last edited by simon moon; 02-18-2020 at 03:28 PM.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

^^^^
    I'm not sure I understand it

There are lots of pressing plants around, its it the raw material that is limited?
    Its hardly rocket science, so why doesn't other producers come up?

Perhaps of interest

https://www.deepgrooves.eu/?gclid=EA...SAAEgIIOPD_BwE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbi2be6Hyvw

https://www.quora.com/Where-and-how-...cs-for-cutting

Banned
    c'est la vie

Banned
    I picked up these for $30.

At first I was skeptical with xtra bass, but the reviews were good except for a fear of them not staying in place. They did not couple to my ears well. Part of the problem was the little port chamber which had some weight pulling the plug down. However, I turned them upside down and put the chord over the top and behind my ear. Wow, incredible sound quality for that $$. The bass is breaking in, but very clean and articulate compared to XtraBass stuf bought from Sony in the past.

Wow, you must have big ear canals.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Wow, you must have big ear canals.
    Actually I have small ear canals and there is not enough insertion distance to keep earbuds in my ears. I’m lucky that Apple stock wired earbuds stay. I tried all sizes of the ear cap adapter for these. Then using this way worked and was most comfortable and had the best coupling with the smallest ear cap. The picture below is deceiving because it shows the side view of the canister (shiny circular) and that canister has a port.

I don’t like anything in my ear canals either. That’s why I like these:

Banned
    I don’t like anything in my ear canals either. That’s why I like these:
    I had some Koss earphones but lost them. Thought about a replacement which was inexpensive for walking which could get sweaty. Apple EarPods are too tinny. Tried these and they really sound good, very clean and excellent soundstage, not like anything I’ve heard. So the wire comes up to a port at the top and the transducer is quite large and in that canister. After hearing this clarity and intelligibility of vocals, understanding lyrics I couldn’t before, I wonder if there is something about the distortion that Polk has identified and gone after in their design of SDA. Specifically speaker’s outputs interfere with each other in space. That obviously could happen with earphones.

Banned
    EXPLORE THE LATEST IN SDA (2019)

LEGEND SERIES L800 FLOORSTANDING TOWER WITH SDA-PRO

For the first time in nearly 25 years, Polk is introducing a new SDA speaker – the Polk Legend L800. The Legend L800 floorstanding speaker features new patents that build on the original SDA mission of maintaining full stereo separation all the way from the source to your ears. As a result, L800 renders the most lifelike detailed, stereo imaging you have ever heard from Polk. The speakers seem to disappear as the sonic images fill your listening room with startling realism. It does this by minimizing the inherent distortion found in all stereo speakers known as interaural crosstalk (IAC) by utilizing a second column of transducers called a dimensional array. Conventional speakers restrict what you hear due to their failure to maintain complete stereo separation from the source to the speaker to your ears.

Thinking about SDA, I determined that if SDA is the answer to a problem, then there is no way that current microphone-speaker based calibrations in receivers could compensate as designed because these method analyze each channel at a time, but the effect comes from simultaneous sound emission from multiple speakers which are separated by significant distances. Large arrays such as magnaplanar speakers have narrow beams and the sweet spot is when they are directed at the listener with an effective isolation of one speaker’s output relative to the other’s in the direction of the listener, especially at midrange.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    ... the original SDA mission of maintaining full stereo separation all the way from the source to your ears. ... It does this by minimizing ... interaural crosstalk (IAC) by utilizing a second column of transducers called a dimensional array.

Thinking about SDA, I determined that if SDA is the answer to a problem, then ... the effect comes from simultaneous sound emission from multiple speakers which are separated by significant distances. Large arrays such as magnaplanar speakers have narrow beams and the sweet spot is when they are directed at the listener with an effective isolation of one speaker’s output relative to the other’s in the direction of the listener, especially at midrange.
    Clarify something for me please. Hopefully I have not misrepresented your post (above) by removing extraneous word salad. It seems to me what you're saying is:
    1. SDAs ("stereo dimensional arrays") cannot correct IAC ("interaural crosstalk") EXCEPT in the very specific "sweet spot" where the SDA is exactly out-of-phase with the main speakers
    2. SDAs are not necessary when speakers with very "narrow beams" (like Magneplanars) are set up to play to the listener, in her "sweet spot" without IAC, i.e. "with an effective isolation of one speaker’s output relative to the other’s in the direction of the listener, especially at midrange."

Therefore, if SDAs are ineffective in speakers OUTSIDE of a very specific sweet spot (1.), and not needed INSIDE the sweet spot. (2.) .. well, then what good are they???
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 02-21-2020 at 10:36 PM.

Banned
    Clarify something for me please. Hopefully I have not misrepresented your post (above) by removing extraneous word salad. It seems to me what you're saying is:
    1. SDAs ("stereo dimensional arrays") cannot correct IAC ("interaural crosstalk") EXCEPT in the very specific "sweet spot" where the SDA is exactly out-of-phase with the main speakers
    2. SDAs are not necessary when speakers with very "narrow beams" (like Magneplanars) are set up to play to the listener, in her "sweet spot" without IAC, i.e. "with an effective isolation of one speaker’s output relative to the other’s in the direction of the listener, especially at midrange."

Therefore, if SDAs are ineffective in speakers OUTSIDE of a very specific sweet spot (1.), and not needed INSIDE the sweet spot... well, what good are they???
    If speaker arrays produce sweet spots for each ear, then SDA tech is not needed. The Polk is not a large array with a small spot, therefore Polk introduced the new SDA config. which presumably produces stereo imaging closer to head phones, maximizing separation.

I'm still confused. If the Polks do not have a small sweet spot -- and speakers that produce sweet spots don't need SDAs -- then what does the Polk SDA do and why is it needed?

When I was a kid I experimented with putting my speakers facing each other, and sitting in the middle between them. This was like wearing a really big pair of headphones. Effective, but it limited the listening space.