Thread: The Audiophile Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Anyone heard about this? Might be trouble for Tidal.

https://www.amazon.com/b?node=14063680011
    Amazon is conflating 16/44.1 standard res with hi-res. It's very much like Starbucks (another Seattle company) tinkering with size names, to make cups of coffee sound larger than they actually are.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Add to that a lot of supposedly high def recordings aren't all that. I use a Schitt DAC in my office system but I've been meaning for a while to try hooking up my laptop to the system in the living room. I have a number of supposedly 24 bit files and they sound fine on the office system once I started using the DAC. But the real test is the better system in the living room. So today I got off my lazy ass and set it up. As I figured, some sound quite good and others are just "what's the big deal, this isn't an improvement on the original recording." I've got BOC's Agents of Fortune playing right now and it sounds gorgeous. But before that I played a McCartney tune and honestly, it didn't sound any better than a MP3.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I guess in Amazon's world, 24/356 PCM and 5.6MHz DSD would be super-duper massively Hi-Res.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Yes and I would take it further. In my view (informed by legendary audio designer Roy Allison), the room is an intrinsic and vital part of the sound system. My experience is that good speakers can sound great in a good room, excellent speakers can sound bad in a dead room. Installing a 100K system in a crappy little room with low ceilings is like driving a Lamborghini in rush hour traffic.
    Spot on. So why do so many pipple who can afford a $100k stereo put it in a $20 room?

All the woo videos online about magic crystals and unobtainium speaker cables never mention room size.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Amazon is conflating 16/44.1 standard res with hi-res. It's very much like Starbucks (another Seattle company) tinkering with size names, to make cups of coffee sound larger than they actually are.
    Amazon sucks. I buy e-orders from Walmart.
    [They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Amazon sucks. I buy e-orders from Walmart.
    :LOL
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"