Thread: The Audiophile Thread

"I know there are a lot of people here (probably almost all of you) that scoff at audio at these kinds of prices (or even quite a bit lower, but still very high prices), but I've actually had the chance to hear a fair portion of those speakers. Specifically the Wilson XLS, the Raidho, several by Acapella, Genesis, Martens, Kharma, Tidal, Perfect 8, Magico, Ceasaro, and some other brands not listed, but comparable. Not the top of the line models listed, but close. So, I can't speak to the sound of the ones in the article, but universally, the speakers a few steps below the ones in the article are pretty phenomenal (to say the least)."

I did hear the original WAMM system in a local house, I think they were about $125,000.00 when he bought them. They sounded incredible but you just can't move them.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    ... the speakers a few steps below the ones in the article are pretty phenomenal (to say the least). The kind of: effortless dynamics, detail, soundstage, image, timbral accuracy, transparency, lack of distortion, lack of dynamic compression, etc, that speakers of this level, or near this level can produce is really quite amazing.
    I agree 100% with Simon on this.

The sonic detail on a pair of $100,000 to $200,000 speakers is impressive. Those with that kind of money to spend -- and no aging parents or favorite charities to support -- can revel in true audio splendor. A fine stereo really is a thing of beauty.

The curve of diminishing returns is logarithmic. There is no set cut-off point above which more money is wasted. Everybody must determine for themselves how far up the scale ($1,000, $10,000, $100,000, $1,000,000) they are willing to slide and still be able to eat.

There ARE, however, a lot of megabuck components that are shite, and that includes speakers. You need look no farther than the HFT and FEQ video posted in the gullibility thread. Buyer beware.

I bought a pair of Meadowlark towers over a decade ago and the company went out of business shortly afterward (the speakers are still delivering the goods). Someone on Hoffman sent me a link today - Meadowlark is back in business albeit on a smaller scale.

http://www.meadowlarksings.com/
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I bought a pair of Meadowlark towers over a decade ago and the company went out of business shortly afterward (the speakers are still delivering the goods). Someone on Hoffman sent me a link today - Meadowlark is back in business albeit on a smaller scale.

http://www.meadowlarksings.com/
    Hopefully not Meadowlark Lemons Sorry bad joke but couldn’t resist.
    “[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.”

https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...-is-on-the-way

OMG - Dolby Atmos mix
    Check out post on listening party for Sgt Peppers in Atmos.
    “[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.”

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Trends
    The Dolby Atmos mix is truly immersive, placing the audience inside the recordings like never before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scientific American
    Back in the late 1990s and early 2000s, surround-sound music looked like the next big thing, but in the intervening decade and a half, precious little rock, jazz, or world music has been recorded in surround. Looking back, the early 2000s should have been an ideal time to launch surround music; multichannel home theater was peaking, so there was a large number of households with surround systems, but surround sound without an accompanying image was a non-starter.

Now, in 2014, multichannel home theater sound is on the wane; today's buyers are opting for single-speaker sound bars in ever increasing numbers. Multichannel sound at home is fading fast, and multichannel over headphones never took hold. The future of home surround for music and movies looks bleak.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Not very accurate given that most of the audiophile recordings of 5.1 have been generated after 2005. To argue that surround is not a commodity success, does not matter. The sound bars are contributing to the success of surround and Dolby Atmos which goes beyond surround. Having images with audiophile sound seems to be a paradigm that pseudo-audiophiles don’t get. I remember the first time I watched and listened to Beatles Anthology which was remixed in surround and realized how good it could be. If the movie theatre environment goes the way of Dolby Cinema on MicroLED gigantic displays, there could be a new venue for live concerts even if they are simulcast. I don’t believe the market for immersive sound is going away, no matter how much crap is sold.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I'm lucky to have had rooms in a house that I could properly implement 2-channel stereo much less a 5.1 system.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I agree 100% with Simon on this.

The sonic detail on a pair of $100,000 to $200,000 speakers is impressive. Those with that kind of money to spend -- and no aging parents or favorite charities to support -- can revel in true audio splendor. A fine stereo really is a thing of beauty.
    I can't imagine anyone with the means to buy a pair of $100,000 to $200,000 speakers, and all the other equipment required (sources, amps, preamps, etc) at comparable price range, would have any financial problems with supporting aging parents or charities.

It's not like anyone in the market for Magico M6 ($172,000) or Acapella Atlas ($92,000) is eating packages or dried ramen in order to scrimp and save to be able to afford their systems.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post

It's not like anyone in the market for Magico M6 ($172,000) or Acapella Atlas ($92,000) is eating packages or dried ramen in order to scrimp and save to be able to afford their systems.
    When I went to one guys house to listen to the WAMM system, which I think cost $125,000.00, we did have pizza, but it was pepperoni.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    When I went to one guys house to listen to the WAMM system, which I think cost $125,000.00, we did have pizza, but it was pepperoni.
    D'Giorno?