Thread: The Audiophile Thread

  1. #1501
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    5,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Did you find your first audio porn in the woods?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Only in the higher end forests and hedges.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  2. #1502
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    7,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    Not being snarky, but can someone explain the point of a tube amp that outputs to Bluetooth? Aren't you converting the signal to digital, and in essence making the tubes pointless? Or are you getting some sort of digital facsimile of 'analogue' sound this way?
    Doesn't make sense, but the idea is for it to receive Bluetooth and play to the speaker.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  3. #1503
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    11,000
    And what kind of speaker is powered by a 15W amp? Or even 50W, for that matter?

  4. #1504
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    7,274
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    And what kind of speaker is powered by a 15W amp? Or even 50W, for that matter?
    15 watt tube amp for your headphones.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  5. #1505
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NH, USA
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    And what kind of speaker is powered by a 15W amp? Or even 50W, for that matter?
    Horns. See above. 50W per channel with a Klipschorn can blow you out of the room. I think the sensitivity is rated at 105db. Even 15W would be more than some may need with a lot of horn designs, depending on the room and how loud you play music. There are some single ended tube amps that only put out 5W per channel.

  6. #1506
    Outraged bystander markwoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Doesn't make sense, but the idea is for it to receive Bluetooth and play to the speaker.
    Yeah, so you stream something from your iphone or tablet or what have you over bluetooth and then juice up the sound with the tubes.
    Hopefully the lucky owner has some very efficient speakers.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

  7. #1507
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    5,752
    Am I missing something? You're streaming something off Apple Music or Spotify, which is what, about 320 at best, into a tube amp and expensive phones? Isn't that like putting Pirelli tires on a Chrysler K-car?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  8. #1508
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    11,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    15 watt tube amp for your headphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Horns. See above. 50W per channel with a Klipschorn can blow you out of the room. I think the sensitivity is rated at 105db. Even 15W would be more than some may need with a lot of horn designs, depending on the room and how loud you play music. There are some single ended tube amps that only put out 5W per channel.
    Thank you, gentlemen.

  9. #1509
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    7,274
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Yeah, so you stream something from your iphone or tablet or what have you over bluetooth and then juice up the sound with the tubes.
    Hopefully the lucky owner has some very efficient speakers.
    Bluetooth is a convenience feature and also permits control of the amplifier, but whether it does or not is the question. My Oppo Sonica WiFi speaker is controlled from an app. However WiFi supports HD audio streaming.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  10. #1510
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    7,274
    15 watts of tube power is more forgiving to overdrive, not producing square waves that sound like shit. That 15 W is likely into a 8 ohm load. It likely can deliver even more power and current into a very low impedance.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  11. #1511
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    2,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Only in the higher end forests and hedges.
    <sig out of order>

  12. #1512
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    2,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    Not being snarky, but can someone explain the point of a tube amp that outputs to Bluetooth? Aren't you converting the signal to digital, and in essence making the tubes pointless? Or are you getting some sort of digital facsimile of 'analogue' sound this way?
    It's all analog from the amp to the speakers.

    For $99 it looks kinda cool and probably not targeted to audiophiles anyway. I like the simplicity of it. I suspect it's plenty loud.
    <sig out of order>

  13. #1513
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    7,274

    The Audiophile Thread

    Didn't you know, the primary postulate of audiophile pretentiousness is violated by this amp. Tubes can only be targeted to those with lots of cash.
    Last edited by Firth; 11-19-2016 at 07:43 PM.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  14. #1514
    Member rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,766
    Not to worry. They're only decorative.:dgtest

  15. #1515
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    7,274
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Not to worry. They're only decorative.:dgtest
    LoL[emoji16]
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  16. #1516


    Since the topic of speakers has resurfaced, I'll once again weigh in with my absolute love of my Tetra 333 stack. No, they're not cheap, but they beat out any speaker I've ever heard...and that's not an overstatement or hyperbole.

    If the 333 stack is too dear, you can buy the top of the stack, the 222s for much less. While the 111 subs give my room added warmth, on good stands (ideally hollow but filled with sand or other material), the 222s are a perfect standalone bookshelf size speaker...though I had just the 222s (a loaner set) while waiting for mine to be manufactured and if I'd not gone for the stack, and without stands (they are, after all, bookshelf speakers and with no ports on sides or back you can literally enclose them on all three sides) they still sound amazing.

    For more modest budgets there's a cheaper model (120U) that I've not heard - which is often recommended for rear speakers in a surround system (and if my system wasn't in my living room, where they'd have been overly conspicuous on the wall, I'd have gone for them too, along with their centre speaker) but am confident is also top-drawer, and for those with big rooms and deep pockets, the 666s. Ron Carter has a 7.1 system in his home, built on THREE sets of 666s, along with Tetra's center speaker.

    You can find more info here. The online store is here.

    These are very much a musician's speaker, with some of the higher profile Tetra users including, alongside Carter, Dave Holland, David Torn (who mixed his last ECM record, only sky, on his Tetras), Herbie Hancock, Keith Richards, Rob Fraboni and Peter Erskine, who bought a set of 222s on my word alone, sight unseen. Tetra had the person who manufactures their speakers build Peter a set of matching hollow stands that he filled up to give additional bottom end, and he couldn't be happier, saying "Tetra has transformed the listening experience in my home."

    Tetra does not work with distributors and rarely advertises; sales are almost entirely through word of mouth.

    Anyone wants to know more, feel free to contact me offline. I'm an advocate for Tetra because they truly are the most truthful speaker I've ever heard. If you've a good player and amp, what you'll hear from the Tetras is what was sent to them, nothing more, nothing less...no colouring. New albums and high res music sound amazing; albums I've not heard in a long time (check out my Rediscovery column at All About Jazz, currently dormant due to health, but hope to revive sometime soon)? It's like hearing them for the first time.
    Last edited by jkelman; 11-20-2016 at 12:47 PM.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

  17. #1517
    Member BobM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ponte Vedra, FL
    Posts
    851
    It is getting harder and harder to be able to audition speakers before you buy them. Showrooms are closing up and audio shows are never truly reliable. The sound in hotel rooms is hard to optimize, and the manufacturers often want to show off their expensive high end products rather than what really fits in those room dimensions. Home auditions are great, and I encourage anyone to go to a friends and listen, as John so graciously offered.

    Good luck with those speakers John. If they sound as good as they look you are a lucky man.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

  18. #1518
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    7,274
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post


    Since the topic of speakers has resurfaced, I'll once again weigh in with my absolute love of my Tetra 333 stack. No, they're not cheap, but they beat out any speaker I've ever heard...and that's not an overstatement or hyperbole.

    If the 333 stack is too dear, you can buy the top of the stack, the 222s for much less. While the 111 subs give my room added warmth, on good stands (ideally hollow but filled with sand or other material), the 222s are a perfect standalone bookshelf size speaker...though I had just the 222s (a loaner set) while waiting for mine to be manufactured and if I'd not gone for the stack, and without stands (they are, after all, bookshelf speakers and with no ports on sides or back you can literally enclose them on all three sides) they still sound amazing.

    For more modest budgets there's a cheaper model (120U) that I've not heard - which is often recommended for rear speakers in a surround system (and if my system wasn't in my living room, where they'd have been overly conspicuous on the wall, I'd have gone for them too, along with their centre speaker) but am confident is also top-drawer, and for those with big rooms and deep pockets, the 666s. Ron Carter has a 7.1 system in his home, built on THREE sets of 666s, along with Tetra's center speaker.

    You can find more info here. The online store is here.

    These are very much a musician's speaker, with some of the higher profile Tetra users including, alongside Carter, Dave Holland, David Torn (who mixed his last ECM record, only sky, on his Tetras), Herbie Hancock, Keith Richards, Rob Fraboni and Peter Erskine, who bought a set of 222s on my word alone, sight unseen. Tetra had the person who manufactures their speakers build Peter a set of matching hollow stands that he filled up to give additional bottom end, and he couldn't be happier, saying "Tetra has transformed the listening experience in my home."

    Tetra does not work with distributors and rarely advertises; sales are almost entirely through word of mouth.

    Anyone wants to know more, feel free to contact me offline. I'm an advocate for Tetra because they truly are the most truthful speaker I've ever heard. If you've a good player and amp, what you'll hear from the Tetras is what was sent to them, nothing more, nothing less...no colouring. New albums and high res music sound amazing; albums I've not heard in a long time (check out my Rediscovery column at All About Jazz, currently dormant due to health, but hope to revive sometime soon)? It's like hearing them for the first time.
    Nice speaker, however the configuration looks to have a radiation pattern that would be less ideal in a non-optimum living room. That's where this comes in good. These drivers don't look time aligned.


    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midw...eter-midwoofer
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  19. #1519
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Nice speaker, however the configuration looks to have a radiation pattern that would be less ideal in a non-optimum living room. That's where this comes in good. These drivers don't look time aligned.


    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midw...eter-midwoofer
    I don't honestly know what an optimum living room is. All I know is they kick ass, and every person who has come over and heard them - including serious audiophiles (I don't consider myself one) - have been jaw-droppingly blown away.

    You cannot assess a speaker sound based solely on appearances, is I guess what I'm saying, I've spent years in recording studios, and this is the closest to capturing that sound in my home...and also not at high volumes (another plus for apartment dwellers is Tetras sound great at low volumes; no adjustments required).

    If you were ever to visit Ottawa (this goes for anyone here, BTW), you are invited to come to my place to check them out.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

  20. #1520
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    7,274
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I don't honestly know what an optimum living room is. All I know is they kick ass, and every person who has come over and heard them - including serious audiophiles (I don't consider myself one) - have been jaw-droppingly blown away.

    You cannot assess a speaker sound based solely on appearances, is I guess what I'm saying, I've spent years in recording studios, and this is the closest to capturing that sound in my home...and also not at high volumes (another plus for apartment dwellers is Tetras sound great at low volumes; no adjustments required).

    If you were ever to visit Ottawa (this goes for anyone here, BTW), you are invited to come to my place to check them out.
    A optimum room has acoustic treatments or the ceiling and walls are a good distance from the speakers.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  21. #1521
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    A optimum room has acoustic treatments or the ceiling and walls are a good distance from the speakers.
    I understand that. The 222s, as I wrote, can be anywhere. Heck, they're in front of us, about 7' apart and at ear level...but the subs, which are omnidirectional, are behind our sofa, about the same distance apart. I have no acoustic treatments. I repeat: after years of time working in recording studios, these are the closest experience to sitting in a control booth, listening to the playbacks.

    I honestly don't care about anything more...nor, apparently, do many of the musicians who use Tetras. They just know how they sound...and they sound great.

    I'm not going to argue this point as it's theoretical for you, tangible for me. Also, I repeat: if you ever come this way, contact me and you're welcome to come over and check em out.

    That's the best I can offer, beyond what I've already written about them. I'm not trying to be difficult; I just don't see any point in debating theory versus experience. You probably know more than I do....but I know what my ears can hear, and I trust them completely.

    And that's good enough for me.

    Cheers
    John
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

  22. #1522
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    7,274
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I understand that. The 222s, as I wrote, can be anywhere. Heck, they're in front of us, about 7' apart and at ear level...but the subs, which are omnidirectional, are behind our sofa, about the same distance apart. I have no acoustic treatments. I repeat: after years of time working in recording studios, these are the closest experience to sitting in a control booth, listening to the playbacks.

    I honestly don't care about anything more...nor, apparently, do many of the musicians who use Tetras. They just know how they sound...and they sound great.

    I'm not going to argue this point as it's theoretical for you, tangible for me. Also, I repeat: if you ever come this way, contact me and you're welcome to come over and check em out.

    That's the best I can offer, beyond what I've already written about them. I'm not trying to be difficult; I just don't see any point in debating theory versus experience. You probably know more than I do....but I know what my ears can hear, and I trust them completely.

    And that's good enough for me.

    Cheers
    John
    Not meaning to give you a hard time, but based on your statements about your room's acoustics, I believe these are good speakers. Additionally, after I examined the drivers more closely, I see time alignment supported for the mid and high frequencies. I don't trust the ears of musicians. The interesting thing about theory is that computer based simulations can emulate the complexity of speaker-room interaction, and that is what has driven time alignment and other configurations. The Martin-Logan company talks a lot about interaction and the radiation pattern of the electrostats has a null on the sides, and the tall aperture keeps the pattern from bouncing off the ceiling and floor.

    I'm really interested in auditioning the Tretas👍
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  23. #1523
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    5,752
    There's an item on my bucket list. Get to Ottawa someday and listen to John's speakers (and while he's not paying attention rip his entire CD collection onto a laptop).
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  24. #1524
    Member rottersclub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Out there, somewhere
    Posts
    170
    ^^^Bring a lunch.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

  25. #1525
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    7,274
    Not the same model, but interesting review:

    http://www.stereophile.com/floorloud...0ZRRDRLDvG1.97
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •