Page 51 of 129 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 3205

Thread: The Audiophile Thread

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    JRiver is kind of frustrating to me. Like Foobar, Winamp, etc it has ridiculous issues with recognizing existing music files on my PC, especially in cases where of ROIOs, box sets where there may be more than one artist listed (the Allman Brothers and Clapton boxes give these programs shit fits), or anything where the tags are incomplete. Windows Media Player, for all its faults, rarely has an issue with this stuff or is the easiest to correct. Given that the audio setup in my office is just a computer feeding ones and zeroes through a RCA chord into a Yamaha receiver, I just don't think the benefit to ripping on JRiver or Pono or Media Jukebox or EAC is going to be audible. I'd rather just do it on WMP where there's far less hassle.

Maybe some day when I upgrade this office system to better components and speakers, then I'll be switching to a better digital system as well (DAC with proper connections and using a high end media player). But until then I just don't see the point. If I want crystalline sound, I'll go to the living room and play my CDs or vinyl.

[Edit] Another issue I have with these players - stay the fuck out of files I tell you to stay the fuck out of. That iTunes library of lo-fi shit. Stay out of it. You aren't even supposed to be in that external drive but you go for that crap every time, like a dog seeking out of a rotting raccoon corpse to roll in. Use the media library I choose. Another point in the plus column for WMP.
    I don't have lo-shit in my ITunes library. It's all Apple lossless with about a factor of 2 reduction in size.

Banned
    CES is kickin ass. Check out these 40k speakers:
    http://www.avsforum.com/bang-and-olu...o-at-ces-2016/

Banned
    ^^^^
    Very interesting speakers there - I really like the beam width and direction control. Alas way outta my price range and even if they weren't I think I'd settle for a pair of B&W 800's for the bargain price of ~ $23K anyway. If money were truly no object I'd opt for something like the MBL Reference Line.
    Last edited by Buddhabreath; 01-11-2016 at 10:35 PM.

I don't have lo-shit in my ITunes library. It's all Apple lossless with about a factor of 2 reduction in size.
    I only use iTunes for my phone and iPad so it's only MP3s. I figured out how to make JRiver stop going to that file but I still had to clean those files out one by one and it pissed me off.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned

The Audiophile Thread

I use my IPhones and IPods to provide audio in my car, or while on air travel. Now with my Apple TV, I stream over Wifi my Apple Lossless to my main audio system. In all my venues for listening, it's obvious what the loss in fidelity is with MP3.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Check out these 40k speakers:
    Note, that is $40k per speaker. $80k per pair.

It's interesting seeing wireless technology and active electronics finally seeping into speaker technology, which essentially hasn't changed in fifty years. I suspect there is real value in using electronics to overcome driver limitations, and hopefully the technology will come down in price. I can't comment on the "narrow beam" versus "wide beam" dispersion modes since I cannot fathom how they would work, but the idea is intriguing.

Using Nivana's "Nevermind" as a sound source, however, seems questionable. There's a reason that kind of music is called "grunge."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Note, that is $40k per speaker. $80k per pair.

It's interesting seeing wireless technology and active electronics finally seeping into speaker technology, which essentially hasn't changed in fifty years. I suspect there is real value in using electronics to overcome driver limitations, and hopefully the technology will come down in price. I can't comment on the "narrow beam" versus "wide beam" dispersion modes since I cannot fathom how they would work, but the idea is intriguing.

Using Nivana's "Nevermind" as a sound source, however, seems questionable. There's a reason that kind of music is called "grunge."
    Whats really interesting is that speaker driver gets it's finely tuned amplitude/frequency/phase active amplification function which is a function of microphone data collection.

Whats really interesting is that speaker driver gets it's finely tuned amplitude/frequency/phase active amplification function which is a function of microphone data collection.
    Qua? I cannot parse your statement.

Banned
    Qua? I cannot parse your statement.
    Just saying that active EQ and amplification for each driver means phenomenal control of the spatial/time/frequency response.

Ah, that makes more sense. TY

Banned

Here's a perfect example of something that will likely get Carlberg's panties in a twist. Last night I went over to a friends who was showing off his latest "tweak". He got some of these black discus things from Madscientist audio (http://www.madscientist-audio.com/blackdiscus.html)

They look like Reeses peanut butter cups in various sizes. He had them all over his system, on top of interconnects, and power cords, and on top of transformers and tube toppers. Anyway, we listened to various songs, then he pulled them all off and listened again. There was no mistaking that the sound had changed, becoming more sibilant and the sense of the room and soundstage collapsing.

Now I have no idea how or why these work, and am not looking for a scientific explanation. Everyone heard it, even the 2 engineers in the room. to their credit they didn't say it was baloney, they said they heard it to but can;t explain why it occurred. Clearly there is something in these that affects the signal. His explanations on his website poke a lot of fun at himself, and are not to be taken seriously, because I doubt he even knows what is going on. But heard it we did.

Go ahead Robert, cut it to threads, but you should actually stop before you rant and say "I didn't try it myself so I really shouldn't have an opinion".
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Go ahead Robert, cut it to threads, but you should actually stop before you rant and say "I didn't try it myself so I really shouldn't have an opinion".
    They offer free samples (http://www.madscientist-audio.com/samples.html) so there's no reason any of us can't try them out. I just shot them an e-mail myself and I'm curious to try it out. Thanks for posting, Bob.

I asked for samples two years ago but never received them.

I have a friend who is very tweak friendly (his walls are covered with Shun Mook ebony Mpingo discs). He tried them and felt they did not have a beneficial effect. YMMV.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    They offer free samples (http://www.madscientist-audio.com/samples.html) so there's no reason any of us can't try them out. I just shot them an e-mail myself and I'm curious to try it out. Thanks for posting, Bob.
    It doesn't matter if you try it, unless it's a blind test. For example put blinders on the listeners, with and without these.

It doesn't matter if you try it, unless it's a blind test. For example put blinders on the listeners, with and without these.
    It matters if I perceive a difference. I'm not selling it or trying to make any claims; I'm just interested to see if I can hear anything.

I sent them an email. We'll see what happens.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Now I have no idea how or why these work, and am not looking for a scientific explanation.

Well, sorry to disappoint you(!) but I don't NEED to hear them.

You see, I don't believe in magic.

Without SOME connection to the signal path, without SOME explanation of how a black disc could affect the sound, without a "scientific explanation" for HOW they could do something we are left with one explanation and one explanation only -- magic.

Okay, there's a second explanation -- self-deception. Did you try a double-blind test?

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD
    YMMV
    Indeed. You must BELIEVE in the force for it to work, Luke!

I just realized what that picture reminds me of:

Banned
    I just realized what that picture reminds me of:
    [emoji38]

I'll give the folks at Mad Scientist credit, at least they don't take themselves too seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist
    How do they work?

Due to commercial considerations we are not able to explain how BlackDiscus devices work. However we can say that BlackDiscus performance is achieved by combining a number of novel techniques.

But here are a few possible explanations for now:

The Doctor Explanation : BlackDiscus use a simplified form of the technology employed by the time lords which we call "Relative Dimension in Space" RDIS, which means that they are considerably bigger inside than out. Not only bigger, but heavier as well, as they are filled with lead. This means that they make excellent mass-dampers, even though they only weigh a few grams. Also note that the lead has been pushed back in time/to another dimension, so this means that BlackDiscus are fully RoHS compliant.

The Inevitable Quantum Explanation : Your brain is like, a quantum computer. And BlackDiscus is like extra RAM (quRAM) for these quantum computers. Using non-linear optics, the BlackDiscus produce a stream of entangled photons that vibrate in time to the music. Because of this, your brain perceives the sound as much improved.

The StarFleet Explanation : The positronic audio coupling excites the trans-warp particle matrix so that a phased system stream combines to give a rapid superficial harmonic, which gives the effect of good musical vibes.

The Electromagnetic Damping Explanation : CanOpeners capture unwanted resonances in the electromagnetic fields that pervade us all in modern life, and turn them to heat. This reduces the noise floor and brings out subtle details.

The Alien Technology Explanation : While I was walking my dog one night, I came across a UFO that had broken down. I helped the aliens "change their space tire" and before they left, they asked what they could do...I said that if they knew any cool ways to make my sound better..and the result is BlackDiscus

The Nanotechnology Explanation : They work because they contain a huge number of autonomous "nanites". These disperse and change the characteristics of the air between the speakers and your ear. When not in use they return to the BlackDiscus .

The Dark Matter Explanation : The "black stuff" on BlackDiscus contains Dark Matter, the elusive substance that astronomers and cosmologists have been searching for. Well we located a stash in an old farmhouse near Ruitakia in New Zealand, and the magical properties of Dark matter mean that the soundstage is widened and details are more prominent.

The Black Magic Explanation : Due to contractual obligations, I cannot reveal the full details. Suffice to say that I found a gentleman who was willing to purchase what he termed "my soul" in return for various goodies, one of which is this astonishing technology. So take advantage of my foolishness - you can improve your stereo for a much smaller price than your soul.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Well, sorry to disappoint you(!) but I don't NEED to hear them.
    That's as ridiculous as the little magic metal things that you stick on your wall that supposedly improves your system's sound quality, the post for which I can no longer find.

What are those little black things (magnets?) that you place on the cartridge headshell?
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Examples?

Examples?
    PHT

http://www.synergisticresearch.com/p...all-50-states/
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"