Thread: The Audiophile Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Do record clamps actually improve the sound of vinyl? I'm told that they do and some are better than others. My TT has one and it has been suggested that I go to a heavier clamp for better sound. What's the scoop.
    The only way you know if there is going to be an improvement is by trial and error. I've tried a number of them including the $2k Shun Mook and didn't think any of them were beneficial. With your table (whatever it is) the results may be totally different than mine. Places like The Cable Co. will send them to you on loan.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    ... the $2k Shun Mook ...
    Whoa. Wow. Woo.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    You want trust UPSP or UPS to send a turntable $1500 miles?

it doesn't work now-what difference does it make? it becomes more un-working?
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Ya, I don't even own one. But, Waters' Amused to Death is out on pic disk and I'm looking for the non pic edition. No luck yet. Suggestions?
    I have some. I did play the ones in the Hawkwind anthology. Considering Hawkwind's usual obsession with optimal sound quality, especially on these throw away outtakes and demos, there is not much of a difference between the picture discs and any other version of these songs

The only way you know if there is going to be an improvement is by trial and error. I've tried a number of them including the $2k Shun Mook and didn't think any of them were beneficial. With your table (whatever it is) the results may be totally different than mine. Places like The Cable Co. will send them to you on loan.
    A great way to go through the trial and error process, Ken. And while we're at it, please tell me you will be getting the non pic disk vinyl of ATD.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    I have some. I did play the ones in the Hawkwind anthology. Considering Hawkwind's usual obsession with optimal sound quality, especially on these throw away outtakes and demos, there is not much of a difference between the picture discs and any other version of these songs
    Thanks RB. Guess I just don't want to take the chance of these things not sounding good. Vinyl is a big investment these days.

Thanks RB. Guess I just don't want to take the chance of these things not sounding good. Vinyl is a big investment these days.
    as one person put it, they are mostly for looks. They are to hype up collectors and fans enough to dispose of more money at the object. Colored vinyl and CDs, etching, holograms, shaped discs and vinyl-all stuff for collectors and fans to display and look at.

And the comment on Hawkwind's obsession to sound quality is being humorous. Hawkwind is at best inconsistent in everything they do. I love the band immensely, but they are very unexacting on everything. They can have one song that sounds like they recorded it at a top of the line studio and the next one sounds like they recorded in a corn field.
    Last edited by Rune Blackwings; 07-28-2015 at 12:06 PM. Reason: corn field references make everything funnier

A great way to go through the trial and error process, Ken. And while we're at it, please tell me you will be getting the non pic disk vinyl of ATD.
    I'm not buying Amused To Death. I think the album is a piece of shit and I think Roger Waters is an anti-semitic asshole. I wouldn't give him another nickel of my money.

Its a great sounding album and the $5 CD suits me just fine when I want to demonstrate dogs barking over my shoulder on a two channel system.

I'm not buying Amused To Death. I think the album is a piece of shit and I think Roger Waters is an anti-semitic asshole. I wouldn't give him another nickel of my money.
    Ken, your never going to get better if you keep hiding your feelings this way.

If I want dogs on my stereo I just play PF's Animals.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Whoa. Wow. Woo.
    Feelings.

About the need for a really low frequency response. Read this:

http://link.bandh.com/u.d?c4GjcEu8xR...tary-Subwoofer
    Last edited by Firth; 08-03-2015 at 08:02 AM.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

Missing from below is of course the classic McIntosh but there's a lot of memories in this page:

http://gearpatrol.com/2015/05/14/vin...sound-systems/
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    About the need for a really low frequency response. Read this:
    Of course even if our HEARING only goes down to 20 Hz or so, our bodies are still sensitive to vibrations of lower frequencies. A good subwoofer should be FELT as much as HEARD.

Of course even if our HEARING only goes down to 20 Hz or so, our bodies are still sensitive to vibrations of lower frequencies. A good subwoofer should be FELT as much as HEARD.
    What if our body distorts a sub 20Hz wave, and the result is harmonics in the eardrum above 20 Hz. I'm thinking about building a phased array of rotary sub-woofers powered by a diesel generator, on the back of a tractor trailer. I will use an acoustic locator to locate these a**holes who's role seems to be to blast bass shit into themselves and every body around them, and then put a CW 18 Hz Tiger tone on their vehicle that will make them sh*t in their drawers (thinking that they got hit by an earthquake).

This is cool, and I first read about a Peter Gabriel show to use them:

http://gearpatrol.com/2015/07/07/bow...-sound-system/

Missing from below is of course the classic McIntosh but there's a lot of memories in this page:
    I owned that Sony STR-7035 back around that time (@1975). My daughter actually uses an old Marantz I bought her for her room, paired with a Pioneer TT. Not quite as fancy a model as those shown though, but it does have their copyrighted tuning wheel.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    What if our body distorts a sub 20Hz wave, and the result is harmonics in the eardrum above 20 Hz. I'm thinking about building a phased array of rotary sub-woofers powered by a diesel generator, on the back of a tractor trailer. I will use an acoustic locator to locate these a**holes who's role seems to be to blast bass shit into themselves and every body around them, and then put a CW 18 Hz Tiger tone on their vehicle that will make them sh*t in their drawers (thinking that they got hit by an earthquake).
    Ah, the much-rumored "brown note."

Its a great sounding album and the $5 CD suits me just fine when I want to demonstrate dogs barking over my shoulder on a two channel system.
    in all honesty, everyone talks about how great Waters solo stuff is and they come off to me more as self righteous ego trips. I don't like Amused to Death. Love Arcturus-Arcturian though. Had a chance to hear that yet?

http://gearpatrol.com/2015/05/14/vin...sound-systems/
    I've got a Marantz 105 tuner which sounds and looks great. Use to have a Marantz 1060 intergrated amp which was paired with a set of Advents. Would kill for that sound again.

Anyway, Vinyl albums were always one disk but now alot are split into two disks or more. Is there really any sound difference by spreading out the tracks?

Anyway, Vinyl albums were always one disk but now alot are split into two disks or more. Is there really any sound difference by spreading out the tracks?
    Sure, it allows you to put more low frequency content on the LP.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    in all honesty, everyone talks about how great Waters solo stuff is
    Not me.

I'm with Ken on this one. Never understood what anyone sees in his stuff. I once went through his entire solo oeuvre to put together a "best of" CD. I gave up when it was only two tracks -- and only parts of them, at that.

Sure, it allows you to put more low frequency content on the LP.
    That's not the only reason 45 lp sounds better than 33. all else being equal.

More vinyl passes under the stylus per second of audio at any point of the album.

In other words, if a minute of music takes 68 feet of record groove distance at 33 RPM, the same minute will take, 92.5 feet of groove distance at 45. Not only can more info be stored for the same duration of play time, but the high frequencies will also improve due to the wavelength at high frequencies being longer at 45 than at 33rpm, so the stylus is able to trace them with a bit less distortion.

Based on average record groove length of 1500 ft and average LP time of 22 minutes.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

^^^
    I think the question was about why newer albums have less material on each side (even at 33 1/3) and of course the answer is decreased groove density, which helps the low end. Of course your answer is correct as well but at 45 rpm you'd get even less on a side! What, maybe 10-12 minutes max really for a good 45 rpm side? AFAIK going over 18 minutes at 33 1/3 is generally a bad idea, and I think most are more comfortable capping out at around 15.