Page 32 of 129 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast

Thread: The Audiophile Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    It is clear he has ruined you, probably inadvertently killed your marriage and your future credit rating, will put you in debt up to your eyeballs, and make you a member of the "Carlberg knows nothing" club!
    I think my wife would actually be ok with that, because it would mean I'd have to sell all my vinyl to pay my debts. She's more concerned with the physical space the records take up

I find more comfort to the ego here than in the, vinyl pressed from a digital source, thread. Becoming rather bruising over there. Fascinating.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Yeah, that thread is all kinds of ugly now.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

AS for tube rolling, how do you know which tubes are better for your particular component? Lots of companies making tubes so which ones have good reputations?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Yeah, that thread is all kinds of ugly now.
    I'm having trouble understanding some people's point of view over there. Some I think are one way suddenly seem to turn the other way. You are right, it is a hopeless discussion there.

Tubes - unfortunately that is a buy it and try it proposition unless you have some friends who you can borrow from. different circuits react differently,a s do different components. And sometimes the expensive stuff doesn't always sound best in your own system. Check this out first - Joe's Tube Lore. It's been around for many, many years and is a good place to start if you want to tube swap.

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d...oes-tubes.html
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

The vinyl/digital source thread is basically a massive troll jerk-off orgy, and should be enjoyed as such.

I'm having trouble understanding some people's point of view over there. Some I think are one way suddenly seem to turn the other way. You are right, it is a hopeless discussion there.

Tubes - unfortunately that is a buy it and try it proposition unless you have some friends who you can borrow from. different circuits react differently,a s do different components. And sometimes the expensive stuff doesn't always sound best in your own system. Check this out first - Joe's Tube Lore. It's been around for many, many years and is a good place to start if you want to tube swap.

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d...oes-tubes.html
    This is exactly what I needed since I've decided to go with a tube phono stage first and replace the preamp second. Ken thought I should look at AR stages and they appear to have nice ones so I will probably go that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    AS for tube rolling, how do you know which tubes are better for your particular component? Lots of companies making tubes so which ones have good reputations?
    Tubes - unfortunately that is a buy it and try it proposition unless you have some friends who you can borrow from. different circuits react differently,a s do different components. And sometimes the expensive stuff doesn't always sound best in your own system.
    Depending on your outlook, a large part of the fun is experimenting with different combos and testing things out in your own equipment. I'd second Bob's suggestion of research - you can get a baseline idea of the coloring of each tube model and how they may interact with each other. If you put in the time, used tubes are the way to go and you can get a variety of well performing ones for decent prices. Just find a reputable vendor whose measurements you can trust. Or you can chase after NOS (New Old Stock - unused vintage items) for $$$.

The specific tubes your chosen phonostage uses will also dictate what you're looking at, as different manufacturers use different model tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    Depending on your outlook, a large part of the fun is experimenting with different combos and testing things out in your own equipment. I'd second Bob's suggestion of research - you can get a baseline idea of the coloring of each tube model and how they may interact with each other. If you put in the time, used tubes are the way to go and you can get a variety of well performing ones for decent prices. Just find a reputable vendor whose measurements you can trust. Or you can chase after NOS (New Old Stock - unused vintage items) for $$$.

The specific tubes your chosen phonostage uses will also dictate what you're looking at, as different manufacturers use different model tubes.
    Thanks Mike, I can use every scrap of info I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    Just find a reputable vendor whose measurements you can trust. Or you can chase after NOS (New Old Stock - unused vintage items) for $$$.

This vendor is very reputable. And despite the name of his store, his prices are competitive.

I recently took a tour of his warehouse, and he has pretty much everything.

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/VacuumTubes/
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    This vendor is very reputable. And despite the name of his store, his prices are competitive.

I recently took a tour of his warehouse, and he has pretty much everything.

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/VacuumTubes/
    Had a very bad experience with Upscale Audio. I know Kevin is a tube expert but I personally wouldn't do business with him again.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Had a very bad experience with Upscale Audio. I know Kevin is a tube expert but I personally wouldn't do business with him again.
    Too bad.

I've had quite a few experiences with him over the lat 10 or so years. All have been good.

And yes, his knowledge of tubes is quite extensive.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

But more importantly, Kevin has some experience placing tubes in specific components. He just might know some of the best tubes to put in your specific unit, depending on the type of sound you want anyway. I'm also on the fence with him from a business point of view (I can find better deals elsewhere), but for someone who doesn't have access to try a lot of tubes before purchasing Kevin might be the best bet and his slight premium over the best price you can get would be worthwhile. He has also been around a long time and has a reputation to preserve, so I would think he is not out for the quick buck but rather for the long haul and future business.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

My wife was digging through a mountain of stuff my mother-in-law had saved and found these gems. I worked at a stereo store in Bismarck ND '80-81. The first scan is of an ad they ran in the local newspaper (four of us in the store had these ads). The second is a photo my wife took of me in our Bang & Olufsen room.

Pacific Sound Ad 001.jpg

The Beosystem 001.jpg
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Hate to keep sounding like a six year old asking questions but, daddy, why do some speaker companies make mirror image speakers? I've noticed most don't. Is this just a gimmick or is there some useful reason in them? I'll ask the where do babies come from question later.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Hate to keep sounding like a six year old asking questions but, daddy, why do some speaker companies make mirror image speakers? I've noticed most don't. Is this just a gimmick or is there some useful reason in them? I'll ask the where do babies come from question later.
    My Polk monitor towers have passive woofers which fire to the side. It makes the best overall pattern for lows for both to fire outward. If they fired inward, there would be more low frequency variation in level through out the room, and they could be fighting each other.

Typically the drivers are centered on the front of a speaker, but when they are not (aka having the tweeter or ribbon driver off center) there is a different lobing sound pattern projected. Sometimes manufacturers do this to minimize first reflection points on the side walls. So it only makes sense to mirror one side vs the other.

There are a couple private groups that deal with the sort of activities leading to making babies.

I want to hear the "woo woo" theories on whether it's a good idea to send a wireless DAC signal to your amplification.

I want to hear the "woo woo" theories on whether it's a good idea to send a wireless DAC signal to your amplification.
    Show me a DAC that can wirelessly transmit 24/96, 24/192 and DSD. Show me a preamp that can accept them wirelessly.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    My Polk monitor towers have passive woofers which fire to the side. It makes the best overall pattern for lows for both to fire outward. If they fired inward, there would be more low frequency variation in level through out the room, and they could be fighting each other.
    Completely false. My Rockport Technology Aquila have inward firing woofers. Andy Payor has designed many speakers including the $105,000 Altair and $225,000 Arrakis this way. He is one of the premiere speaker manufacturer in the world. I get astounding, clearly defined bass response.

Show me a DAC that can wirelessly transmit 24/96, 24/192 and DSD. Show me a preamp that can accept them wirelessly.
    Cables it is. I'm gonna sell some farmland and buy this rig:

http://www.soundenvironment.com/john-quick-visit/

Banned
    Completely false. My Rockport Technology Aquila have inward firing woofers. Andy Payor has designed many speakers including the $105,000 Altair and $225,000 Arrakis this way. He is one of the premiere speaker manufacturer in the world. I get astounding, clearly defined bass response.
    Ok, yes if you spend enough money you can do anything. Your dick is probably bigger than mine. Enjoy

Banned
    Actually Denon receivers can receive wirelessly HD audio to a Denon component that also supports sending it.

Cables it is. I'm gonna sell some farmland and buy this rig:

http://www.soundenvironment.com/john-quick-visit/
    John's a good guy. I've heard the DCS Vivaldi stack on a number of occasions. Its quite a DAC set up but somehow I find it leaves me cold emotionally. I would need to hear it in my system to have a solid opinion about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Ok, yes if you spend enough money you can do anything. Your dick is probably bigger than mine. Enjoy
    Very good chance you are right. Thanks.