Page 24 of 129 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124 ... LastLast

Thread: The Audiophile Thread

Thanks - yes I think a trial period is certainly feasible. I guess I wouldn't be able to make comparisons between the three in consideration, but at least I'll be able to compare against the current system.

Another question about amplifier power. B&W helpfully states a "Recommended amplifier power" range of 25W-100W @8 ohms for these speakers (I assume per channel but the website doesn't say). All things being equal, would it be "better" to be on the high end of this range, or should I not worry about this at all if I am within the recommended range?

There is another Rotel available (RA-1570) which has 120W/channel compared to 60W/channel for the one I am looking at at. It is a little bit more expensive and has features I don't need (DAC). I am wondering whether the extra power makes it worth a look anyway. My Yamaha supposedly puts out 70W/channel.

I am not planning on blasting my neighbors, so am inclined to stick with 60wpc and the feature set I want. I am nevertheless curious whether the extra power alone would necessarily make 1570 sound "better," even at lower volumes, in the absence of other factors. Conversely, would the additional unnecessary (for me) features, like a DAC, tend to reduce "sound quality"?

Of course the answer is probably to try and see, but just wondering if there are some general principles at work here.

I bought an NAD integrated a couple of years ago and have never regretted it. I have the C 316BEE model, which is 40wpc and pretty bare bones (no onboard phono preamp or DAC). It set me back something like $375, which is the most I've ever spent for an audio component. I absolutely love the thing.

For what it's worth...

Quote Originally Posted by BakerStMuse View Post
    I am not planning on blasting my neighbors, so am inclined to stick with 60wpc
    This. The extra power wouldn't gain you anything but volume.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Wives tale No. 32. To get a better sonic and more dynamic sound, you have to at least double you wpc output. True or false?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Wives tale No. 32. To get a better sonic and more dynamic sound, you have to at least double you wpc output. True or false?
    True with old tube amps.

Not true with solid state, which are linear. Or more nearly.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 03-16-2015 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    I bought an NAD integrated a couple of years ago and have never regretted it. I have the C 316BEE model, which is 40wpc and pretty bare bones (no onboard phono preamp or DAC). It set me back something like $375, which is the most I've ever spent for an audio component. I absolutely love the thing.

For what it's worth...
    That is helpful, thanks. That is one of the models I am considering (along with the 326BEE).

True with old tube amps.

Not true with solid state, which are linear. Or more nearly.
    I believe this is where high current comes into play, but nothing wrong with keeping spare 50W or so if you can afford it. If I were buying an amp, I would buy up as much as possible, rather than justify something that I may regret.

I have an all-Rotel system in the living room, fantastic stuff.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Extra power usually (but not always) comes with higher current delivery. Higher current usually (but not always) means better control of the drivers. So bigger amps usually (but not always) sound like they have better control of the music, allowing it to come out effortlessly, and hit those big dynamic peaks without compression.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

One way to measure the current reserve of an amp is to check the power specs into different loads. So for example if an amp puts out 100 watts into an 8 ohm speaker, a "high current" amp would put out 200 watts into a 4 ohm speaker. Most don't double up like that, so I'd try to find one that does.
    Last edited by rottersclub; 03-17-2015 at 10:30 AM.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Extra power usually (but not always) comes with higher current delivery. Higher current usually (but not always) means better control of the drivers. So bigger amps usually (but not always) sound like they have better control of the music, allowing it to come out effortlessly, and hit those big dynamic peaks without compression.
    LOL
    Wish I had more room in my sig file....

I often wonder why you are even on this thread.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I often wonder why you are even on this thread.
    We've all been saying the same thing going back to alt.music.progressive

Oh God. You are bringing back memories. But if I just add him to the ignore list I will miss all of those incontrovertible truths!
    (Happy St Pats Day everyone)

LOL
    Wish I had more room in my sig file....
    Are your sigs there to belittle people?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    What makes you say that?

What makes you say that?
    It's a simple question.

Oh God. You are bringing back memories. But if I just add him to the ignore list I will miss all of those incontrovertible truths!
    (Happy St Pats Day everyone)
    Aye Lad.

It's a simple question.
    The haggis is in the fire now.

You know what, you are right. I have removed my sig file. My apologies to everyone I offended.

I will TRY not to be such a dick in the future, though it will be a struggle.

I've also noticed that you don't see many of the big cabinet speaker systems much anymore. The 12in woofer and 4in mid. But I have seen alot of the tower design systems with smaller multi driver enclosures. Have these become that much more efficient?

I've also noticed that you don't see many of the big cabinet speaker systems much anymore. The 12in woofer and 4in mid. But I have seen alot of the tower design systems with smaller multi driver enclosures. Have these become that much more efficient?
    You're not looking in the right places....

.... Golden Ear Triton
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Design over sound. Small speakers have come a long way but they're still no match for a proper speaker system.

They have become more efficient though. There's a guy here in town named Darrel Powell (his company was Digital Phase) that gets ridiculous bass from 4" drivers and no subs. And the smaller drivers react faster for more accurate reproduction. They aren't small speakers though, the cabinets are normal mid-towers and I suspect its the resonance of those larger enclosures that gives the sound.

Like this?

http://www.audioeden.com/tannoy-west...-se/4533040554

Note the weight is just over 300 lbs each! And don't worry, the price shown is in Canadian pesos.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)