Page 19 of 129 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969119 ... LastLast

Thread: The Audiophile Thread

I have zero photographic skills and the room is over-run with vinyl but I'll see what I can cook up.

In the meantime here is my turntable (may have posted this before)

IMG_1012.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Mike:

Obviously I dabble in the crazy end of the hobby but I am familiar with much of the products discussed in this thread. To be honest I wouldn't waste the money on a new cartridge until you move away from the Rega. Its really an entry level product and is killing your sound in ways that you have no idea. I promise that once you get away from that Rega and jump up to something substantial you will be in tears.

If you are on a tight budget move on to one of the entry level VPI tables like the Scout and eventually invest in a good MC cartridge. I used to have the Shelter 501 Mk. II and for the money it was phenomenal but its more than doubled in price now. Personally I'm not a fan of Dynavector cartridges for many reasons. Years ago I owned two different ones and they both physically failed (they did sound great when they worked). I've spent enough time hearing their top of the line XV-1S and XV-1T and they aren't to my personal taste. I'm assuming the PrimaLuna has a built in phono stage. Consider the less expensive range of cartridges from Soundsmith. Peter Ledermann makes fine sounding cartridges that are actually MM. You will get a lot of bang for the buck. Peter is an expert, is based just outside NYC and could probably help you dial in your cartridge and table. If you really can stretch your budget I would also recommend the Lyra Delos. I'm using their top of the line Atlas and its easily the best I've heard. If you are really restricted there are plenty of decent MC cartridges in the $500-600 range from Sumiko, Denon, Ortofon and Benz to consider.

Sorry if I offended anyone with my comments - just my opinions of course.
    Ken, thanks for the rundown - I appreciate your advice even if I will never approach your level I realize that I've now upgraded the rest of my system to the point where the Rega is the weakest link. I've upgraded over time as I could afford, starting out with a Music Hall mm2.1 and my parent's old Aiwa consumer grade receiver and satellite speakers, so I've never been at the point where I really thought I was done, just had to stop due to finances, etc. It will be a while before I can plunk out for another table, but I'll certainly keep an eye out on the VPIs and do my research.

I recently installed Stillpoints Ultra SS under my electronics. Everything sits on a Silent Running Audio Scuttle2 rack and the turntable is on a SRA Ohio Class XL base.

IMG_1096.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Is that Macintosh I see there? My dad is a macintosh man and no one can tell him any different. Still, after all these years.
    Yes indeed, MC 2505. My baby

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    So do you run a sub with that. God that Mac looks sweet.
    Oh, she certainly is

I found the power boost from getting the Mac into the system to really round out the bass me and not necessitate one for me. I'm also in a 450 sqft apartment, so I have some volume constraints.

Here's a fairly old crappy shot I took of the front section of the room. Speakers are Rockport Technologies Aquila and the speaker cable is Transparent Audio Reference XL. Amplifier is a Boulder 2060 on a SRA isolation platform. Acoustic treatment is basic Auralex. Speakers are hard to photograph because of the lighting in the room and the reflective gloss on the speakers.

IMG_0558.jpg
    Last edited by LASERCD; 03-05-2015 at 10:48 PM.

Shot of the back of the room (with a guest intruder)

IMG_0518.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    Ken, thanks for the rundown - I appreciate your advice even if I will never approach your level I realize that I've now upgraded the rest of my system to the point where the Rega is the weakest link. I've upgraded over time as I could afford, starting out with a Music Hall mm2.1 and my parent's old Aiwa consumer grade receiver and satellite speakers, so I've never been at the point where I really thought I was done, just had to stop due to finances, etc. It will be a while before I can plunk out for another table, but I'll certainly keep an eye out on the VPIs and do my research.
    Feel free to email me if you have questions.

I have zero photographic skills and the room is over-run with vinyl but I'll see what I can cook up.

In the meantime here is my turntable (may have posted this before)

IMG_1012.jpg
    No mas, no mas. Please, no mas.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Shot of the back of the room (with a guest intruder)

IMG_0518.jpg
    I'm in awe of these shots, but where are the vinyl racks?

Here's a fairly old crappy shot I took of the front section of the room. Speakers are Rockport Technologies Aquila and the speaker cable is Transparent Audio Reference XL. Amplifier is a Boulder 2010 on a SRA isolation platform. Acoustic treatment is basic Auralex. Speakers are hard to photograph because of the lighting in the room and the reflective gloss on the speakers.

IMG_0558.jpg
    So the stand with all the gear is on the side of the room? And what does that dog think of all of this when you crank those beasts up?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

After looking at these photos, why don't I just get out my old pocket transister radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    I'm in awe of these shots, but where are the vinyl racks?
    That's an old shot. What you don't see behind the sofa is a line of 5 crates holding albums. You can see some of the albums on the floor on the left hand side. The main collection is in the library upstairs. I am constantly shuttling vinyl up and down. Mostly down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    So the stand with all the gear is on the side of the room? And what does that dog think of all of this when you crank those beasts up?
    Correct. I used to have an equipment rack set against the wall between the speakers. When I upgraded to my current turntable I ordered the Shuttle2 rack and moved it to the left of the sofa. Imaging and soundstage was great before - insane after.

The dog rarely comes into the room - she's uninterested. Loud music doesn't seem to bother her. She's fallen asleep in front of the speakers with the volume up fairly high.

That's an old shot. What you don't see behind the sofa is a line of 5 crates holding albums. You can see some of the albums on the floor on the left hand side. The main collection is in the library upstairs. I am constantly shuttling vinyl up and down. Mostly down.
    I've always attempted to keep my equipment and my vinyl/CDs in the same room, but it's no longer possible. My equipment is on two racks and I have three large Ikea shelves chock full of records with box sets scattered all over the place. I'm going to have to put at least half of my collection in another room and simplify my racks; I rarely ever listen to surround sound so I'll probably get rid of my processor and surround amp and just keep one rack with my McIntosh amp/preamp, my VPI table and my Musical Fidelity CD player.

Just curious: have you heard the Audio Fidelity Reference CD9 player? I'd really like to audition that one some day.

You mean the Audio Research CD9? I don't think I've heard it but in the past I've never been impressed by any of their digital products.

The dog rarely comes into the room - she's uninterested. Loud music doesn't seem to bother her. She's fallen asleep in front of the speakers with the volume up fairly high.
    You probably already made her deaf *lol* BTW will you be at ROSFest??

Fred

No plans to attend Rosfest. I will see you at NJ Proghouse.

Fred

No plans to attend Rosfest. I will see you at NJ Proghouse.
    Cool, that'll work!

My fave for record, CD and DVD storage:

http://www.boltz.com/

I've got a one of their big LP stands. It's my goal to one day fill another. Also have a DVD rack and three CD racks.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Very nice stuff Laser. OK, time for my pics. Here's the view from the listening seat.

- Apogee Duetta Signature speakers (overhauled crossovers, fully updated w/ Sonicaps and Auricaps)
    - REL Strata III sub
    - McCormack DNA500 amp
    - AudioPrism Mantissa preamp (updated w/ V-Cap OIMP and Sonicap Platinum caps)
    - Aure CX7e-MP CD player
    - Hagerman Trumpet phono stage (updated e/ Jupiter coupling caps)
    - Mark Kelly speed controller (DIY built)
    - Hagerman Piccolo step up (DIY built and customized)
    - VPI Aries cloned turntable w/ corian plinth
    - Moerch DP6 tonearm
    - Transfiguration temper cartridge
    - DIY seismic sink racks (each shelf has 50lbs of sand in it)
    - DIY power conditioning
    - GIC & DIY room treatments
    - Triode Wire Labs speaker and power cables
    - Analysis Plus Solo Crystal interconnects
    - Peter Millet mini-max headphone amp
    - Sennheiser HD600 headphones

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BobM; 03-06-2015 at 09:10 AM.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Here's where I sit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Turntable - that's a ceramic coated VIP aluminum platter (which they are manufacturing but not commercially selling yet)
    VPI Aries cloned turntable w/ corian plinth
    - Moerch DP6 tonearm
    - Transfiguration Temper cartridge
    - sitting on maple butcher blocks suspended with squash balls (poor man's DIY Ginko Cloud)

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Here's where I sit

Bob, I just played Becks', There And Back, a few days ago. Yes, I think I should learn to love my transister radio. A beautiful system.

With that system I know what the box of tissues are for.