Page 129 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129
Results 3,201 to 3,205 of 3205

Thread: The Audiophile Thread

I've seen a couple of harpists at Bigears. Mary Lattimore tends to do a lot of treatments on her sound. And Maeve Gilchrist played too, Celtic harp.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I ran the Dirac room correction on the SA30 yesterday. The results were interesting, in a good way. The room is far from perfect and the sound seemed to be improved.
    In general I favor a neutral sound, the initial Dirac profile brightened things up a little. In preparation I had moved the speakers a couple of cm out from the wall and apart to the minimum recommended placement from KEF.
    I doubt if that made a huge change, more with the bass than anything. But the sound is 'better', I will go with that.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Any experience with this?

Why Your HiFi Audio System Sounds Worse on Some Days. Is this the Cure? What about Transformer Buzz?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate
    Any experience with this?
    in my own experience -- can't speak for anyone else (including the dude above who goes off the deep end in meaningless adjectives IMO) -- I have noticed that the barometric pressure affects my stereo.

On rainy stormy days -- what's that, "areas of low pressure"? -- my stereo sounds the best, very tight, very accurate, very "compliant." On sunny balmy summer days, the stereo sounds "looser" for lack of a better description. The difference is subtle, but consistent and weather-related.

Can't explain why that might be so. It's not the speed of sound. Could it be that diaphragms move easier in low pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by mt10425
    If it starts raining before I can put plastic over everything, the amp shorts out, sparks everywhere. If we get a lot of snow, I can't hardly find the components, but the speakers are towers and more readily recognized as large white lumps. On sunny days, I can't read the LED info on the faceplates. I suppose I should just move everything inside........

And buzzing in the power transformer? Pfffft. A $99 drugstore stereo is better built than that.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 11-26-2023 at 10:39 AM.

Another factor, also subtle but reliably reproducible: if the stereo has been off for a couple of days, it sounds worse when I first turn it on, for a couple of hours.

My guess(?) is that warming up the voice coils, by running current through them -- or possibly keeping the surrounds loosened up by exercising them? -- makes the speakers more accurate. To that end I've taken to turning on Pandora when I go to bed at light, and closing the music room door (which is pretty much sound-proof.)