Thread: The Audiophile Thread

  1. #2976
    Member rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    7,428
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    What do you power the CVs with? My brother had a pair of CV D9s and they could part your hair and that was with 120watts
    According to Wikipedia, the original installation had a "1,600 watt BGW 750 power amplifier" on each bass bin.

    On the plus side, they never had to scrape chewing gum off the bottom of the seats.

  2. #2977
    Member Garyhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    What do you power the CVs with? My brother had a pair of CV D9s and they could part your hair and that was with 120watts
    Jeff Rowland Model 1's bridged into monoblocks. Class A amp 360W @8ohms....same spec as original Cerwin Vega Power Amps.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

    "It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

    I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

    (Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

    Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

  3. #2978
    Member Garyhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    According to Wikipedia, the original installation had a "1,600 watt BGW 750 power amplifier" on each bass bin.

    On the plus side, they never had to scrape chewing gum off the bottom of the seats.
    I bought the Subwoofers from a local band who bought them from the theater in the early 80's. I saw the two Cerwin Vega power amps but they were keeping them. Could the smaller amps be for smaller theaters? I have no idea How many cabinets the Admiral had in the day.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

    "It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

    I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

    (Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

    Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

  4. #2979
    Member rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    7,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Jeff Rowland Model 1's bridged into monoblocks. Class A amp 360W @8ohms....same spec as original Cerwin Vega Power Amps.
    Must be a handy alternative to shaving your legs.

  5. #2980
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    8,063
    An unique 15 inch driver.
    “I’m not giving in an inch to fear” David Crosby

  6. #2981
    Member Quantum Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    256
    ^^^^
    Amazing. I wonder how pre-war cones can be so pristine. If I had a spare 3 or 4 hundred thousand dollars and a huge, dedicated listening room, preferably a nice stylish loft in NYC with an expansive view of Central Park, I might even spring for a pair. Maybe next lifetime.

  7. #2982
    Member rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    7,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Cat View Post
    If I had a spare 3 or 4 hundred thousand dollars and a huge, dedicated listening room, I might even spring for a pair.
    I think you could do better.

  8. #2983
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    8,063
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I think you could do better.
    The man who all ways has an opinion. Did you hear them?
    “I’m not giving in an inch to fear” David Crosby

  9. #2984
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    3,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Cat View Post
    ^^^^
    Amazing. I wonder how pre-war cones can be so pristine. If I had a spare 3 or 4 hundred thousand dollars and a huge, dedicated listening room, preferably a nice stylish loft in NYC with an expansive view of Central Park, I might even spring for a pair. Maybe next lifetime.
    Hopefully something on the first floor. What these things must weigh.

  10. #2985
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    5,970
    Right now I have my DAC connected to my old ARCAM amp via RCA cables. If/when I update the amplifier, what connection is preferred for transferring that signal?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  11. #2986
    Member BobM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ponte Vedra, FL
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Right now I have my DAC connected to my old ARCAM amp via RCA cables. If/when I update the amplifier, what connection is preferred for transferring that signal?
    If you have the ability to use balanced connections I think that is preferred over RCA. Or are you talking optical?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

  12. #2987
    Member rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    7,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Right now I have my DAC connected to my old ARCAM amp via RCA cables. If/when I update the amplifier, what connection is preferred for transferring that signal?
    If the signal is in the analog realm, any good-quality RCA cable is as good as any other (Monster Cable hype notwithstanding). However if you can keep the signal coming out of the DAC in the digital realm -- making it I guess a DC? -- then definitely go optical.

  13. #2988
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    8,063
    Not true, balanced XLR connectors and cables are better because of noise rejection.
    “I’m not giving in an inch to fear” David Crosby

  14. #2989
    Member rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    7,428
    Myth. Disproven in the laboratory.

    https://www.audioaffair.co.uk/blog/x...-a-difference/
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 11-29-2022 at 02:47 PM.

  15. #2990
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    5,970
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    If you have the ability to use balanced connections I think that is preferred over RCA. Or are you talking optical?
    I honestly don't know what either of those are. I just know that when I reconfigure the system, whatever pre-amp I end up with will likely have more than just RCA connections. I do know that there is an optical output on the DAC.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  16. #2991
    Member rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    7,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I do know that there is an optical output on the DAC.
    That's preferred. Now all you need is a preamp with optical inputs.

  17. #2992
    The eons are closing
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    2,583
    The point of the DAC is to decode to analog.

    If you optical out of your DAC - isn't that just bypassing the conversion there and forcing it onto the likely inferior chips in the preamp?

    You might as well skip the DAC and get something like the ProJect Pre S2 then....
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

  18. #2993
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    3,122
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    The point of the DAC is to decode to analog.

    If you optical out of your DAC - isn't that just bypassing the conversion there and forcing it onto the likely inferior chips in the preamp?

    You might as well skip the DAC and get something like the ProJect Pre S2 then....
    This is what I was thinking.

  19. #2994
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    3,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I honestly don't know what either of those are. I just know that when I reconfigure the system, whatever pre-amp I end up with will likely have more than just RCA connections. I do know that there is an optical output on the DAC.
    You don't need more devices in a signal chain, the fewer the better. No reason that I know of to use a DAC as a pass-thru device. The reason there's a market for an outboard DAC is because of the perception that it's components and design will be better than what comes in a mass market receiver (that's already limited in physical space). Yes, there are preamps and even receivers that are reputed for having quality DAC input sections but they aren't cheap. Most people like the idea of having an outboard DAC because of flexibility. Its the same reason vinylphiles like using separate outboard preamps for their turntables rather than using what's built into the receiver or TT itself (if it has a built-in preamp).

  20. #2995
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    5,970
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    You don't need more devices in a signal chain, the fewer the better. No reason that I know of to use a DAC as a pass-thru device. The reason there's a market for an outboard DAC is because of the perception that it's components and design will be better than what comes in a mass market receiver (that's already limited in physical space). Yes, there are preamps and even receivers that are reputed for having quality DAC input sections but they aren't cheap. Most people like the idea of having an outboard DAC because of flexibility. Its the same reason vinylphiles like using separate outboard preamps for their turntables rather than using what's built into the receiver or TT itself (if it has a built-in preamp).
    As it is now, the chain is laptop > DAC > integrated amp. I've been doing this for years in my office/man cave but finally set it up into the larger system in the living room. I can finally appreciate the sound quality of some of these lossless files that have been accumulated for years. Of course, some of the files, like boots of old concerts sound as rough as a badger's ass but that was expected. I figure that I'll replicate this chain when I put together a new system but that won't happen until after we move in a year or two.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  21. #2996
    Member rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    7,428
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    The point of the DAC is to decode to analog. If you optical out of your DAC - isn't that just bypassing the conversion there and forcing it onto the likely inferior chips in the preamp?
    Depends on whose chips are inferior. Many preamps with optical inputs are top notch. I guess it depends on the DAC...

  22. #2997
    Member rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    7,428
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    It's the same reason vinylphiles like using separate outboard preamps for their turntables rather than using what's built into the receiver or TT itself (if it has a built-in preamp).
    Also, MOST receivers/preamps don't have "Phono Ins" anymore (it's much lower level - 0.005v for MM or 0.0005v for MC - than standard line level 0.316v) and although I suppose there must be turntables with built-in phono preamps, I've never seen one.

  23. #2998
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    3,122
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Also, MOST receivers/preamps don't have "Phono Ins" anymore (it's much lower level - 0.005v for MM or 0.0005v for MC - than standard line level 0.316v) and although I suppose there must be turntables with built-in phono preamps, I've never seen one.
    They exist but only in budget, entry level players, usually with the ability to bypass the onboard preamp output. There are a couple of YT videos that have demonstrated that the built-in phono preamps in the budget TTs induce noise even when bypassed.

  24. #2999
    The eons are closing
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    2,583
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Depends on whose chips are inferior. Many preamps with optical inputs are top notch. I guess it depends on the DAC...
    Agreed, but if one is buying a DAC and the preamp already had optical inputs already, I would think it's because the DAC was better (if the research had been done etc.)

    There are particular use cases where maybe the preamp DAC will not decode higher rez or MQA files - so you bring in a separate etc.

    I am in process of rejigging my system - I am trying to move to a small footprint but maintain the sound I enjoy.

    So the transducers (speakers/phones) are staying but moving on from my class D NAD integrated amp (w/ dedicated mm phono input BTW) to smaller separates
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

  25. #3000
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    6,549
    A friend of mine has a Hegel amp and a Sony CDplayer with optical, wireless and RCA options.
    We compared alle 3 options, and the RCA sounded the best.
    Other more expensive cables might have given a different result.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •