Thread: The Audiophile Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    What do you power the CVs with? My brother had a pair of CV D9s and they could part your hair and that was with 120watts
    According to Wikipedia, the original installation had a "1,600 watt BGW 750 power amplifier" on each bass bin.

On the plus side, they never had to scrape chewing gum off the bottom of the seats.

What do you power the CVs with? My brother had a pair of CV D9s and they could part your hair and that was with 120watts
    Jeff Rowland Model 1's bridged into monoblocks. Class A amp 360W @8ohms....same spec as original Cerwin Vega Power Amps.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    According to Wikipedia, the original installation had a "1,600 watt BGW 750 power amplifier" on each bass bin.

On the plus side, they never had to scrape chewing gum off the bottom of the seats.
    I bought the Subwoofers from a local band who bought them from the theater in the early 80's. I saw the two Cerwin Vega power amps but they were keeping them. Could the smaller amps be for smaller theaters? I have no idea How many cabinets the Admiral had in the day.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Jeff Rowland Model 1's bridged into monoblocks. Class A amp 360W @8ohms....same spec as original Cerwin Vega Power Amps.
    Must be a handy alternative to shaving your legs.

An unique 15 inch driver.
    “I’m not giving in an inch to fear” David Crosby

^^^^
    Amazing. I wonder how pre-war cones can be so pristine. If I had a spare 3 or 4 hundred thousand dollars and a huge, dedicated listening room, preferably a nice stylish loft in NYC with an expansive view of Central Park, I might even spring for a pair. Maybe next lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Cat View Post
    If I had a spare 3 or 4 hundred thousand dollars and a huge, dedicated listening room, I might even spring for a pair.
    I think you could do better.

I think you could do better.
    The man who all ways has an opinion. Did you hear them?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Cat View Post
    ^^^^
    Amazing. I wonder how pre-war cones can be so pristine. If I had a spare 3 or 4 hundred thousand dollars and a huge, dedicated listening room, preferably a nice stylish loft in NYC with an expansive view of Central Park, I might even spring for a pair. Maybe next lifetime.
    Hopefully something on the first floor. What these things must weigh.

Right now I have my DAC connected to my old ARCAM amp via RCA cables. If/when I update the amplifier, what connection is preferred for transferring that signal?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Right now I have my DAC connected to my old ARCAM amp via RCA cables. If/when I update the amplifier, what connection is preferred for transferring that signal?
    If you have the ability to use balanced connections I think that is preferred over RCA. Or are you talking optical?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

If the signal is in the analog realm, any good-quality RCA cable is as good as any other (Monster Cable hype notwithstanding). However if you can keep the signal coming out of the DAC in the digital realm -- making it I guess a DC? -- then definitely go optical.

Not true, balanced XLR connectors and cables are better because of noise rejection.

Myth. Disproven in the laboratory.

https://www.audioaffair.co.uk/blog/x...-a-difference/
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 11-29-2022 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    If you have the ability to use balanced connections I think that is preferred over RCA. Or are you talking optical?
    I honestly don't know what either of those are. I just know that when I reconfigure the system, whatever pre-amp I end up with will likely have more than just RCA connections. I do know that there is an optical output on the DAC.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I do know that there is an optical output on the DAC.
    That's preferred. Now all you need is a preamp with optical inputs.

The eons are closing
    The point of the DAC is to decode to analog.

If you optical out of your DAC - isn't that just bypassing the conversion there and forcing it onto the likely inferior chips in the preamp?

You might as well skip the DAC and get something like the ProJect Pre S2 then....
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    The point of the DAC is to decode to analog.

If you optical out of your DAC - isn't that just bypassing the conversion there and forcing it onto the likely inferior chips in the preamp?

You might as well skip the DAC and get something like the ProJect Pre S2 then....
    This is what I was thinking.

I honestly don't know what either of those are. I just know that when I reconfigure the system, whatever pre-amp I end up with will likely have more than just RCA connections. I do know that there is an optical output on the DAC.
    You don't need more devices in a signal chain, the fewer the better. No reason that I know of to use a DAC as a pass-thru device. The reason there's a market for an outboard DAC is because of the perception that it's components and design will be better than what comes in a mass market receiver (that's already limited in physical space). Yes, there are preamps and even receivers that are reputed for having quality DAC input sections but they aren't cheap. Most people like the idea of having an outboard DAC because of flexibility. Its the same reason vinylphiles like using separate outboard preamps for their turntables rather than using what's built into the receiver or TT itself (if it has a built-in preamp).

You don't need more devices in a signal chain, the fewer the better. No reason that I know of to use a DAC as a pass-thru device. The reason there's a market for an outboard DAC is because of the perception that it's components and design will be better than what comes in a mass market receiver (that's already limited in physical space). Yes, there are preamps and even receivers that are reputed for having quality DAC input sections but they aren't cheap. Most people like the idea of having an outboard DAC because of flexibility. Its the same reason vinylphiles like using separate outboard preamps for their turntables rather than using what's built into the receiver or TT itself (if it has a built-in preamp).
    As it is now, the chain is laptop > DAC > integrated amp. I've been doing this for years in my office/man cave but finally set it up into the larger system in the living room. I can finally appreciate the sound quality of some of these lossless files that have been accumulated for years. Of course, some of the files, like boots of old concerts sound as rough as a badger's ass but that was expected. I figure that I'll replicate this chain when I put together a new system but that won't happen until after we move in a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    The point of the DAC is to decode to analog. If you optical out of your DAC - isn't that just bypassing the conversion there and forcing it onto the likely inferior chips in the preamp?
    Depends on whose chips are inferior. Many preamps with optical inputs are top notch. I guess it depends on the DAC...

It's the same reason vinylphiles like using separate outboard preamps for their turntables rather than using what's built into the receiver or TT itself (if it has a built-in preamp).
    Also, MOST receivers/preamps don't have "Phono Ins" anymore (it's much lower level - 0.005v for MM or 0.0005v for MC - than standard line level 0.316v) and although I suppose there must be turntables with built-in phono preamps, I've never seen one.

Also, MOST receivers/preamps don't have "Phono Ins" anymore (it's much lower level - 0.005v for MM or 0.0005v for MC - than standard line level 0.316v) and although I suppose there must be turntables with built-in phono preamps, I've never seen one.
    They exist but only in budget, entry level players, usually with the ability to bypass the onboard preamp output. There are a couple of YT videos that have demonstrated that the built-in phono preamps in the budget TTs induce noise even when bypassed.

The eons are closing
    Depends on whose chips are inferior. Many preamps with optical inputs are top notch. I guess it depends on the DAC...
    Agreed, but if one is buying a DAC and the preamp already had optical inputs already, I would think it's because the DAC was better (if the research had been done etc.)

There are particular use cases where maybe the preamp DAC will not decode higher rez or MQA files - so you bring in a separate etc.

I am in process of rejigging my system - I am trying to move to a small footprint but maintain the sound I enjoy.

So the transducers (speakers/phones) are staying but moving on from my class D NAD integrated amp (w/ dedicated mm phono input BTW) to smaller separates
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

A friend of mine has a Hegel amp and a Sony CDplayer with optical, wireless and RCA options.
    We compared alle 3 options, and the RCA sounded the best.
    Other more expensive cables might have given a different result.