Page 113 of 129 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,825 of 3205

Thread: The Audiophile Thread

I've always maintained that in the audio hobby its ok to keep harem
    I'm gonna be using that phrase quite a bit now.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    If you're familiar with Pbthal and his vinyl rips, some of his rips (in 16 bit) are great. Again for me it comes down to the mastering. A great album, well-mastered (even in 16 bit) can sound great. Anglagard's first two albums still sound killer to me in 16 bit on cd. I have no doubt a good vinyl rip of those albums to digital have the potential to sound great.
    Hi-Res doesn't require special mastering the way 16 bit does. A vinyl record will transfer directly to Hi-Res and sounds very much like the original. It doesn't take on the cardboard box drum sound, the thin thumpy bass (guitar) sound, or the thin jangly acoustic guitar sound.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Hi-Res doesn't require special mastering the way 16 bit does. A vinyl record will transfer directly to Hi-Res and sounds very much like the original. It doesn't take on the cardboard box drum sound, the thin thumpy bass (guitar) sound, or the thin jangly acoustic guitar sound.
    Vinyl is an inferior format period. It doesn’t support infinite channel separation. It’s vinyl that has all ways required special mastering to handle properly the potential 100 dB dynamic range and 100 KHz bandwidth of top quality tape recording. DSD for SACD was specified to record with the same requirements as that tape. CDs don’t really need special mastering unless the source is digital and $hit on by digital processing, or someone wants to match loudness for commercial release which has been $hit for decades now. The dynamic range of CDs is not used for commercial release. If it was people would complain.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Vinyl is an inferior format period. It doesn’t support infinite channel separation.
    is infinite channel separation necessary?

Under no legitimate circumstances will the dynamic range of vinyl ever exceed the dynamic range of CD, under any frequency, given the wide performance gap and the physical limitations of vinyl playback. Note - 16 bit dithered CD, not any HiRes digital format.

(https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.ph...=Myths_(Vinyl))
    Last edited by hFx; 08-12-2022 at 07:00 AM.
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    is infinite channel separation necessary?
    Is anything necessary? People nitpick on the minutia. I believe it does, and the evidence is a comparison using audiophile headphones and a comparison of a straight to mics, DSD sampling of stereo mics and straight to vinyl recording and playback via top cartridge/turntable combination. If one adds in speakers that are not large and planar, and room acoustics, then the differences get lost in the mud. Channel separation is very important in high dynamic range multichannel, with the appropriate room design or correction.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    Under no legitimate circumstances will the dynamic range of vinyl ever exceed the dynamic range of CD, under any frequency, given the wide performance gap and the physical limitations of vinyl playback. Note - 16 bit dithered CD, not any HiRes digital format.

However the distortion caused by $hitty digital sampling creates harmonics above the noise floor effectively killing the dynamic range. Same thing can happen for analog, but it’s more forgiving, especially tubes.

However the distortion caused by $hitty digital sampling creates harmonics above the noise floor effectively killing the dynamic range. Same thing can happen for analog, but it’s more forgiving, especially tubes.
    I guess you refer to aliasing, but anyway - yes the problem as always, is within the analogue domain!

Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post

What people mean when they say they hear "more dynamic range" in vinyl is they hear a more open, transparent and vibrant sound. They use the old fallback description "dynamic range" for lack of better words to articulate what they're actually hearing. Of course it's technically impossible to hear "more dynamic range" in vinyl. That's like seeing "more color" in an old CRT SD television.

Banned
    What people mean when they say they hear "more dynamic range" in vinyl is they hear a more open, transparent and vibrant sound. They use the old fallback description "dynamic range" for lack of better words to articulate what they're actually hearing. Of course it's technically impossible to hear "more dynamic range" in vinyl. That's like seeing "more color" in an old CRT SD television.
    The phenomenon which enables the brain to perceive more detail in a source is related to a certain spectrum of noise that the brain cancels when forming a filter around a harmonic. Tube noise allows that phenomenon because the spectrum increases with frequency (shot noise). I believe it provides the subjective sense of air and ability for the ear to resolve fine detail. It’s conceptually similar to dithering for A/Ds and D/As. Interference between channels on vinyl playback doesn’t get helped by a noise floor because it’s correlated.

The vinyl process, from mastering and forward to what comes out of the RIAA-amlplifier, adds and removes and warp things to something that can be pleasing to the human hearing, including but not limited to the necessity of compressed dynamic range and several phase shifting stages, in certain situations contributing to a widening of the sound stage. As pointed out, bad AD/DA processes diminishes the potential quality - in particular on the analogue side of things. There are some hypotheses around about how the sampling frequencies affects the stereo imaging, but still no firm theory confirming (or contradicting) the hypotheses (trying to make that a part of my scientific work though).

The phenomenon which enables the brain to perceive more detail in a source is related to a certain spectrum of noise that the brain cancels when forming a filter around a harmonic. Tube noise allows that phenomenon because the spectrum increases with frequency (shot noise). I believe it provides the subjective sense of air and ability for the ear to resolve fine detail. It’s conceptually similar to dithering for A/Ds and D/As. Interference between channels on vinyl playback doesn’t get helped by a noise floor because it’s correlated.
    Different brains perceive different things. Some people can hear the individual notes in a chord. Most can't. I seem to be the only one on this forum who was able to hear the constant clipping, with most drum hits in Neal Morse Band Innocence & Danger. It immediately jumped out at me when listening to the camples. It was the very first thing I noticed.

Banned
    Different brains perceive different things. Some people can hear the individual notes in a chord. Most can't. I seem to be the only one on this forum who was able to hear the constant clipping, with most drum hits in Neal Morse Band Innocence & Danger. It immediately jumped out at me when listening to the camples. It was the very first thing I noticed.
    Everything I’ve ever heard from the studio in which Neal Morse was the prime contributor was too loud. When comes to hearing, the most irritating sound comes from a sound man in a concert that doesn’t hear that the loudness kills the sound because most environments reverberate.

Everything I’ve ever heard from the studio in which Neal Morse was the prime contributor was too loud.
    It's not just "loud" in terms of the loudness war. They apparently forgot to add a limiter to the effects chain. Allowing drum hits to cross the 0dB threshold into positive territory.

Banned
    It's not just "loud" in terms of the loudness war. They apparently forgot to add a limiter to the effects chain. Allowing drum hits to cross the 0dB threshold into positive territory.
    I don’t believe in limiters. Putting a non linear device to compress amplitudes creates distortion, unless the limiter is on the mic for each drum that has a mic and even then it’s not ideal.

I don’t believe in limiters. Putting a non linear device to compress amplitudes creates distortion, unless the limiter is on the mic for each drum that has a mic and even then it’s not ideal.
    Properly set up limiters prevent distortion by "limiting" peaks. As the name implies. They have been abused lately. In the current trend of brickwalling music to death. Just like MIDI was abused not so long ago. When one would go to a website and cheesy MIDI music would play in the background.

Banned
    Happy Birthday, Compact Disc.
    This week saw the Compact Disc turn 40. Quite impressive, when you consider that the music industry appears to have been trying to kill it off for at least the last five of those 40 years, like some baddie in a the final act of a Hollywood action movie ("why won't you just die, goddammit?").
    I still love CDs, but even I have to admit that a CD in a jewel case with a thin, 4-page booklet, is no longer particularly sexy, especially for a tenner. CDs were attractive once, when they were new and 'high tech', but that was four decades ago. Just physically existing is a disadvantage these days, it seems. They're still kicking around the house, like a bored teenager who forgot to move out all those years ago. Discs ending up in the wrong cases. "Do something useful, get yourself on streaming!!"
    Meanwhile, the bigger, bulkier, and less convenient sibling, the vinyl record, has the red carpet rolled out. You've created a special area in the house for it."Make yourself comfortable, I'll come and check on you in a minute".
    For those who want to 'hold the music in their hands' (myself and just about all of the SDE community) I'm very pleased that CDs are still thriving, especially as part of music box sets. Even the BPI (British Phonographic Industry) earlier this year, in its March 'UK recorded music revenues' report, reminded its audience, somewhat grudgingly I thought, that "CD still generates marginally more than vinyl for record labels and their artists".
    That may well change this year, but for now, the CD isn't dead and so long live the CD!
    Have a great week and stay safe,
    Cheers,
    Paul
    Paul
    21 August 2022
    Paul Sinclair. Editor, SuperDeluxeEdition.

https://manage.kmail-lists.com/subsc...yc83&r=QfPLnEP

Banned
    Mind blowing:

Mind blowing:
    This sounds like automating, using artificial intelligence, to do the same thing that Mister Triscuits did--MANUALLY--when taking apart and remixing Soft Machine's "Third."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    This sounds like automating, using artificial intelligence, to do the same thing that Mister Triscuits did--MANUALLY--when taking apart and remixing Soft Machine's "Third."
    That’s a minimization using buzz words of what they did. There was significant innovations in what they did, given a mono tape.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Wasn't it LPerez, or did I miss something?

^ I think you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Wasn't it LPerez, or did I miss something?
    Oops, memory checksum error, 404 file not found

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Oops, memory checksum error, 404 file not found
    Probable source of error:
    Mysterious Traveller - Mister Triscuits

Mysterious Triscuits
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021