Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Your 'single' favourite Rush track?

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    That's true. I hate the Power Windows album. Unlistenable to me, but I really like the song "Marathon."
    you hate power windows, the album that at one point Geddy Lee said was his favorite?

we are all wishing you the best after your brain surgery to correct your misguided view

I don't care for it myself.

Personally I love Windows but the fact that a lot of people dislike it actually makes a lot of sense to me.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I'd pretty much agree with you if we were looking at the Exit... Stage Left combo of "Broon's Bane"/"The Trees"/"Xanadu". That's about as perfect a side of live progressive rock as you'll find anywhere, IMO.
    Really could not agree with you and Nostromo any more.

I tend to take most of my Rush doses live, and lately I've been listening to some good boots from the FTK era. For a change up I played ESL for the first time in ages the other day, and that combo sounds so great.

I'll take that version over the studio nine times out of ten.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    you hate power windows, the album that at one point Geddy Lee said was his favorite?

we are all wishing you the best after your brain surgery to correct your misguided view
    PoW is still my favorite post-Signals album.

Elaborate, please! (I think I know what you mean, though. To me, this is the album where they blew off the doors. It happened again with vapor trails.)

Sorry, my message was to oilersfan,..,,

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    PoW is still my favorite post-Signals album.
    Same here, until Clockwork Angels came along.

I fell off the Rush bandwagon when GUP came out, for a number of reasons - it was less proggy, didn't like the Steinberger bass sound, no analog synth sounds, and the production lacked the Broon magic. Then back around 2004, I caught up with all of the Rush albums I had missed, and found Power Windows to be fantastic. Yes, it had the most over-the-top use of the 80's synth sounds but there was a crackling energy and presence to the performance that was missing from the album that preceded it and followed it. The arrangements were more proggy than GUP. It was the only post-Signals album I liked from start to finish.

Furthermore, I came to appreciate GUP, now that I was hearing it in the context of all albums up through Vapor Trails at that point. I also think Hold Your Fire is decent but really suffers production-wise. The fact that I like songs from GUP and HYF better in a live setting tells me that there are some good songs there that could have sounded a whole lot better if Broon was still at the controls.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    ... didn't like the Steinberger bass sound...
    Lollers, I am incapable of comprehending disliking any of Geddy's tones. I even have the Geddy Lee Fender jazz bass (which I got on the advice of a friend, not because it was a Geddy Lee, but that certainly didn't hurt) and a Steinberger (which I got without knowing that Geddy ever played one).
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

The eons are closing
    And Neil once said HYF was his fave and I am sure he regrets that now LOL.

I don't dislike PW like I dislike HYF but on my personal scale, a 6 at best.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post

Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    The new Prog magazine has an extensive Rush feature. Renowned musicians are asked what their favourite song is?

Steven Wilson chose The Camera Eye
    Steve Rothery chose Tom Sawer
    Lawrence Gowan chose Limelight
    Pat Cash (tennis player) chose Cygnus-X1 Book 2
    Dave Brock chose Between the Wheels
    and I choose The Trees

What's yours?
    Big Money from the truly excellent Power Windows.

The title track from "A Farewell to Kings" is my favorite, followed closely by La Villa Strangiato. I'm not a major Rush fan but they are the only band I have seen live besides Yes.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I love me some "Natural Science".
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

It's different for me from just being a listener of Rush music to actually playing it. There were Rush songs I never cared to listen to, two being Jacob's Ladder and Natural Science, until I learned to play them on keys and bass, now they're some of my favourite to play with the band. Maybe it's how we play them, but they have this cool energy and vibe from start to finish that's really fun. My two favourite songs to play solo on bass are Red Barchetta and The Trees, as both have very musical bass parts and it's a real treat to just play through them without the band.

I never cared much for Dream Theater, until my guitar player said let's do Erotomania (from the Awake album). Every instrument on that song plays serious stuff, and it's here that I got to appreciate their song construction and the bass playing. It's still a bear to play this song start to finish, and I'm still amazed I could memorize it all, but its rewarding to get through it each time.

the lead-in groove...

Quote Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
    It's different for me from just being a listener of Rush music to actually playing it. There were Rush songs I never cared to listen to, two being Jacob's Ladder and Natural Science, until I learned to play them on keys and bass, now they're some of my favourite to play with the band.
    Great point! The same thing happened to me when having to learn a bunch of songs for a few annual Rush fan-jams I participated in. I'm glad there are resources for the bass tabs because I can't figure stuff out on my own, but songs like Vital Signs, Countdown, Marathon, Turn the Page, Chain Lightning, Time and Motion, etc. became a lot more interesting to me once I realized how cool the bass parts were to play.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I got into Rush about a year before Signals came out, so the Signals tour was the first time I saw them live, and I saw the on every tour from Signals through Counterparts (after that I've missed some tours - the last I made was the Vapor Trails tour). I've always considered Signals through HYF to be a great stretch of albums. I actually find all four of those albums to be very consistent, and while I have favorites, I couldn't dismiss any of them. They're complete ear candy to me, and some of the albums I've listened to most.

La Villa Strangiato.

I've played it with bands in the past, and would gladly play it again with any band or PE'ers - in the future.