Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wendy Carlos back catalog status?

Wendy Carlos back catalog status?

Does anyone know why the entirety of her classic back catalog is out of print? Are there plans to reissue her work? It seems amazing to me that the output of someone so important (and who's sold millions of records) could be so unavailable.

Thanks

Ho-lee crap, Switched-On-Box is going for $500 on eBay. Glad I got my copy when it came out! Yes, odd that everything seems oop, maybe she doesn't own those masters after all.

Because like Big Eyes, Walter Carlos owns the recordings.

wow. pretty silly, indeed. however, it's only truly insane if it actually sells to a buyer for that amount.

According to her website she lost her distribution deal. Unless she wants to start a label herself, she's out of circulation.

And her website hasn't been updated since March 2009 -- that's almost six years. Not good.

Agreed. Hard to believe someone of her status has a catalog that's totally out of print.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm glad I got that boxed set back then too - I actually find the booklets of more value than the music. Books, really, they're long! The music is enjoyable, but I consider Carlos intellect and writing skills her greatest gift.

I know from book publishing that weird things happen. There can be an OOP book that readers really want, but it can take a long time for a publishing deal to happen sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    Agreed. Hard to believe someone of her status has a catalog that's totally out of print.
    Believe it or not, that might be a GOOD thing.

It means nobody is issuing product illegally, without her permission or royalties.

She isn't totally gone. Last summer, Audio Fidelity released a limited edition Tron soundtrack as two blue vinyl discs in a gatefold cover.

And, someone at her company is making sure that youtube etc. doesn't play her recordings.

And, then there is this:
    https://www.youniqueproducts.com/WendyCarlos

^^^^

"Different Wendy Carlos?", he asked, hopefully....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    Going by that she's better looking as a female than I remember...

Years ago, I tried to eBay a promo 45rpm record of Carlos'. It was immediately de-listed by eBay. Kinda cool, kinda sad, I guess.

Didn't ESD release the Carlos catalog?
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Princeton Record Exchange had the Bach set last fall for $150 - I just couldn't justify it (though admittedly at the time copies on Amazon were still under $200). BUT - just because copies are listed/offered at such high prices, does not mean they are actually SELLING at these prices. --Peter

This is photo from the real Wendy's page:

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Didn't ESD release the Carlos catalog?
    I believe ESD went out of business. Could be the distribution rights are tied up in the bankruptcy??

Well that's a bummer.

I've bought and sold Sonic Seasonings a couple of times - always enjoyed listening to that one. --Peter

I have 3 lps by walter carlos
    Sonic seasonings
    Switched on bach II
    Walter Carlos By request
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 01-04-2015 at 11:36 PM.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    I have 3 lps by walter carlos
    Sonic seasonings
    Switched on bach II
    Walter Carlos By request
    If you can ever find the Wendy Carlos' A Clockwork Orange CD, I would strongly suggest you buy it. I'm talking about the soundtrack album that Warner Bros (who released the movie) put out, but the album that was released by Columbia (which was Wendy's record company at the time) put out.

The CD reissue, on ESD, has a couple bonus tracks, and basically comprises all the music she recorded for the movie, much of which Kubrick didn't use (she laments on the CD liner notes that Kubrick, like many directors, sometimes ended up not using stuff that was composed specifically for the film because he'd get locked into the idea that the temp track that he had chosen was "the only way to go", which apparently is why there's so much orchestral music in A Clockwork Orange). It includes the full unedited version of Timesteps (only a short excerpt was used in the actual movie, and therefore only that excerpt appears on the Warners soundtrack release).

Anyway, A Clockwork Orange is one of the synthesizer records, as far as I'm concerned. It's also one of the first instances, if not the first, of a vocoder being used for musical purposes, on Timesteps and the Ode To Joy excerpt. Anyone who digs synths should hear this album.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    I believe ESD went out of business. Could be the distribution rights are tied up in the bankruptcy??
    No I don't think so. The Carlos albums were already out of print for several years before ESD went belly up, as best as I recall. Seems to me like I remember looking for By Request and the Bach recordings on Amazon a few years before ESD bit the dust, and they were already going for ridiculous prices.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Going by that she's better looking as a female than I remember...
    Indeed - come a long way since the photo that accompanied Digital Moonscapes. At least I think that's where I saw the photo.

I have the Switched on box-set and I'm still hoping her work will get rereleased some day.

The vinyl however is a plentiful... and usually only a few bucks or so.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    the full unedited version of Timesteps
    Which is outstanding.
    People may also want to check out the Walter Carlos 'unused' Shinning Soundtrack.