Thread: Question about Moon Safari - Live in Mexico CD

Question about Moon Safari - Live in Mexico CD

Is it a good place to start for Moon Safari newbie? DOes it have good sound quality?
    Thanks!

Wonderful release, I think I'd favour The Gettysburg release personally of the two live albums. If you're just starting out, I'd recommend Lover's End and the companion EP to start with.

I would agree with Talliman although I guess it depends on taste. If you're looking for the proggier side, start with "Blomljud".

No, it isn't the best place to start. Sound quality is ok, but I'd start with Lover's End, the EP Lover's End Pt. 3, and The Gettysburg Address (which has most of the best Blomljud material - and is one of the most special live albums by anyone that I've heard in the last decade). I actually think Himlabacken Vol. 1 has more creative textures and subtler writing than Blomljud, albeit fewer "prog" clichés in terms of instrumentation and structure (I don't mean that sniffily - I absolutely adore this band).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hamer View Post
    I would agree with Talliman although I guess it depends on taste. If you're looking for the proggier side, start with "Blomljud".
    The proggier side as opposed to what? Pop? It's just been quite a while since I've heard them.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!
    How about The Gettysburg Address' sound quality?
    Two experts here suggested to start with Lover's End and the companion EP.
    It looks like the lion share of music on this CD is from them. But Blomljud is not presented there, and many think it's their best (the most progressive?), right?
    CD1
    A Kid Called Panic (13:57)
    Heartland (6:13)
    CD 2
    1. Crossed The Rubicon (10:45)
    2. Lover's End Pt.III: Skellefteå Serenade (24:54)
    Do you think studio versions are preferable?
    Last edited by Booba Kastorsky; 01-03-2015 at 12:35 PM.

Gettysberg sounds fuller and more balanced to my ears than Mexico.

I'd still say go for Lover's End though. Is there any reason why you want to start with a live album?

You can listen to both on bandcamp: https://moonsafari.bandcamp.com

I love all of Moon Safari's music, but if I were gong to recommend a place to start, go with Blomljud. It's a filler-free double studio album. Despite its length, I always play this one from start to finish whenever I decide to give it a listen. A fantastic album!

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    I love all of Moon Safari's music, but if I were gong to recommend a place to start, go with Blomljud. It's a filler-free double studio album. Despite its length, I always play this one from start to finish whenever I decide to give it a listen. A fantastic album!
    And the old man who calls the band his friends says:

Go with Bruce's suggestion. I don't skip anything on those 2 cds either.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Heartily agree with Blomljud recommendations. It's so freaking great I had to finally learn spelling the title! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The proggier side as opposed to what? Pop? It's just been quite a while since I've heard them.
    I'm not a fan of labels. All their music is progressive. "Blomljud" is the most overtly symphonic progressive release they have made. All their albums are great. Fantastic band!

IMHO there's 3 Moon Safari epics that are essential listening: Other Half of the Sky, A Kid Called Panic and LE3:SS.
    If you get either of the live albums then you'll get to hear 2 of these - but whatever you get you'll need to explore further if you like your first choice - and it'll be worth it.

Re live v studio versions: I actually think the live version of "the other half of the sky" is better than the studio one on "Blomljud". I also prefer the live "crossed the rubicon".

The band sound fantastic both in the studio and live, which is impressive when you consider the time constraints they operate under.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    No one recommends their first album?

Funny, that. It doesn't seem to get much attention, and yet it's a GREAT album. Certainly an exceptional debut. "We Spin the World" is an incredible epic, but a personal favorite of mine that demands a shout-out is "A Light of Your Own." This was in heavy rotation when I was going through an amicable divorce, and the lyrics fit our situation so perfectly that the song is still deeply moving. It always brings a tear to my eye whenever I hear it despite the fact that my ex & I ended up re-marrying 4 years later. (We're still going strong, too!) Such a happy ending is perfect for the music of Moon Safari, don't you agree?

A Doorway To Summer is indeed a GREAT album.

If you're listening to it for the first time, think of how me and a whole lot of other people felt when they first heard it when it was first released. Many would say gobsmacked. Four bars of Hi-Los harmony & I was hooked. What sometimes gets lost in the shuffle (on live albums) is how well they play their instruments while they're singing all the incredible s**t that they sing.

And yes, I agree, Bruce.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hamer View Post
    All their albums are great. Fantastic band!

I love the first album and Blomljud. I would start there. Not sure why people are all gob-smacked over Lovers End - it just doesn't do it for me. Blomljud is one of my favorite albums ever, though.