Thread: Anyone interested in some collabs?

Anyone interested in some collabs?

Anyone here interested in doing any collaberation? I have four fairly "epic" songs I'm working on that are in various states of "completeness" Ive got keys, bass, Rythm guitars and vocals - Vocals in my head if not on actual "tape" Some drumming that isnt exactly great, but not horrible. I'm OK as a drummer, but I would also be happy to have someone who is really a drummer give it some good stuff (no programmed drums though, please) I could really use good lead guitars - I goof around in the studio and nothing ever seems to get finished, but if anyone is bored, interested or whatever, - oh, and bereft of delusions of grandeur, I would like to share. I can post what I've got and let you hear where I'm at.

Ive talked to people in other forums, and I get responses in varying degrees of sub mediocrity - guitarists who just want something to "bluesjam" over, drummers who can really "nail" ZZ top (not that theres anything wrong with that, but thanks, I've got that covered)

I apologize if it sounds snobby, but hey, where better to be a snob than on a prog site? I dont personally know many prog musicians.

If this is a no-no at PE, just let me know, pardon my ignorance.

I don't think it's a no-no; rather, this area seems tailor-made for something like this. I have a minor problem with my "studio" being down at the moment (house repairs and crap going on), but this does sound like a good idea. How about the methodology for sharing and such? I think if we develop a PE standard for doing this, it could come out with some interesting results.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

I agree with Mikhael:

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    If this is a no-no at PE, just let me know, pardon my ignorance.
    I'd say it should be an enthusiastic "yes-yes" on PE, and particularly in this forum.
    Regards,

Duncan

I'd be happy to get involved. My time is a little limited right now, but this is the kind of thing that I'll just plain make time for. I can play lead and rhythm guitar just like a ringin' a bell...but like playing guitar. I can sing a little, too, but that's for you to decide. I've got a Pro Tools rig right here.
    www.pinnacleband.com
    www.redacoustic.com
    https://soundcloud.com/#pinnacleband

Karl

Great! I'll get some ideas posted somewhere and post a link here. Can we use Soundcloud or is there something better? I'm thinking that we may be able to use MP3's to start, (just do your part using .wav files - everyone on 24bit these days?) and we can pass ideas around. I can also remove my medeocre guitar/drum/keys parts from the mix, so if anyone with better skills can do something better. I do play bass, but my main interest is composing. I'm even up for people completely rewriting parts, if they like the concept but think they can improve the overall work. I havent had much success with collaberating with non-prog oriented musicians, so I'm prepared to be flexible. If what I post sucks or is not your thing, feel free to say so. I have pretty decent pipes, but if you can sing, I'm not adverse at all to sharing, or leaving space for you to do something. I use Sonar 8.5 myself, but I think that using common filetypes, we can get the sonar stuff into Protools and Vice versa. In my old age, my ears have become less than what they should be so if someone is particularly good at mixing/producing we can probably use you. I do OK, but a master I am not.

Could be interesting. Alas I can't play my way out a paper bag myself. I'm more a composer and computer girl.

My mixing skills could be classified as "emerging." Everyt time I do a project, I learn a ton...usually AFTER the fact and end up spending months wishing I could go back and change things.

Here is a rough mix of one song, working title is "Nevermore" (as per Poe) but the lyrics dont really match the the title at this point. I dont know where it will wind up, but I'd like to get this closer to completed. It could stand some good leads. I know I need to add vocals first, but I a couple weeks from that getting done - You have to be able to see potential, rather than the reality.

https://soundcloud.com/yodelgoat/nev...premix/s-9xMht

Listened to bits and pieces of it...sounds GREAT. I'll check it out a little more closely tonight. Nice work.

I hear some interesting parts, but at present the form seems a bit disjointed. As you said though, a work in progress, and it has some good meat for arrangement.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Keep in mind that Vocals and melodies can really help to hold things together. I do agree that it can be improved. Let me get some vox there and then see what you think needs to change.

I collaborate with a drummer using Soundcloud. He downloads a 320 Kbps file and uses that as his backtrack. He then uploads a wave file with his final, drums-only stereo track. I then take that wave file and sync it up with my tracks. Works like a charm, and it's free!

If you need or want any flute, give me a yell. I can read music.

Huh, I have some parts that I actually would like to have a flute play. IF I send you the sheet music can you send me a mp3 or wav file? can you record multiple parts? (multitrack)?

How did you locate a drummer on soundcloud?

I just finished recording he drums for a second tune - still working on getting some vocals on the above track - Do I need to have the vocals perfect or are you willing to look past imperfections to see where things go? Singing incomplete or poorly performed parts can really be a turn off. It takes an open mind to hear potential and not assume it sucks - just because that particular part sucks.

The drummer was a guy I already knew. We set up a free Soundcloud account between us to trade tacks with and after he's done, I just sync his drum wave file up with the rest of my tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Huh, I have some parts that I actually would like to have a flute play. IF I send you the sheet music can you send me a mp3 or wav file? can you record multiple parts? (multitrack)?
    Indeed, I can. I sent you a PM.