Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steven Wilson remixes Simple Minds 'Sparke in the Rain'!

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    If the discussion is in this forum, then yeah, whats the surprise?
    I am sure in the Eighties forum people are going berserk over this release.
    I guess it depends on whetee you think of the term "progressive" as a genre....or a state of mind.
    I prefer to think of it as the latter.....

I'd rather he had a crack at 'Sons and Fascination'.

Didn't Steve Hillage produce many of these Simple Minds records originally?

On the topic of 80s albums, I'd LOVE to see SW take a crack at Kate Bush's The Dreaming in surround. The stereo mix is fine, but this seems a perfect candidate for surround.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This just in: Steven Wilson to remix Silverchair catalog.

I kid, I kid...

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Didn't Steve Hillage produce many of these Simple Minds records originally?
    Steve Hillage produced the studio albums Sons and Fascination and Sister Feelings Call as well as the US compilation Themes For Great Cities. This is a good album too, and it's worth a remix. I was probably at that Barras gig if it's the first of the nights. I'd probably be more interested in hearing Wilson remix Simple Minds' current output as that could do with his energies, but there's probably more time and money involved in committing to something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Please, no. There may be some justification for remixing albums from the 70s or earlier, with the benefit of better technology, though even there many would say the originals are best left alone. Once you get to the 80s, production is clean, sparse, almost antiseptic. In many cases though there was nothing behind that production, no real tune. (I did say elsewhere thqat the 80s are not my favourite period, didn't I?) Even with decent stuff like the Cure, the production was pretty uncomplicated, and I find it hard to see how any kind of remake would be worthwhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    I have to agree. The production values of a lot of the 80's ( new wave/electro-pop ) stuff is pretty untouchable.
    How 'bout A Momentary Lapse of Reason?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    How 'bout A Momentary Lapse of Reason?
    I sure hope they do what they suggested they might do... take out some of the 80s elements and add Rick's Keys from the live shows
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The Burning Shed listing makes it sound like SW only did the 5.1 mix for this. But it's hard to tell.

Does anyone have a link to ALL of the various CD's Steven Wilson has reworked?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Does anyone have a link to ALL of the various CD's Steven Wilson has reworked?
    Wikipedia is your friend.

i might want to get this. “bass line” and “a brass band” (the b-sides) are – to paraphrase prog magazine – surefire “it's prog, jim, but not as we know it” contenders.

Please, once all the online options have been advertised for the box set version of this Simple Minds release, could someone post where to find the best price? I see that Burning Shed is advertising it for about $51 plus shipping. Thanks in advance.

Library Jon

The pre-order for the Simple Minds box set started today. Although, you can buy it on Amazon, It is cheaper on their official website so far. Can everyone please post news regarding cheapest option as requested earlier?

Library Jon