Thread: Bowie 'men' to tour again!!!

Bowie 'men' to tour again!!!

Thought I would post this here as I think TMWSTW was Bowie's most 'proggiest' album!!!!

Mick Ronson's sisters are also in the band!!!

Holy Holy confirm 12-date jaunt on which they will play The Man Who Sold The World in full
    Holy Holy have announced a 12-date UK and Ireland tour on which they will play David Bowie's The Man Who Sold The World album in full.

Supergroup Holy Holy features members of Bowie's band including bassist Tony Visconti and drummer Woody Woodmansey, with Heaven 17's Glenn Gregory on vocal duties. Holy Holy also features Lisa and Maggi Ronson, James Stevenson and Steve Norman.

As well as The Man Who Sold The World album, the group will perform a number of classic Bowie songs from the 1969 to 1973 period. A string of special guests will also appear on the tour.

The tour is a result of the positive reaction to Holy Holy's shorter run of dates earlier this year.

Holy Holy UK and Ireland tour 2015
    Jun 12: Colchester Arts Centre

Jun 13: Oxford Academy

Jun 14: Bournemouth Academy

Jun 15: Bristol Academy

Jun 18: Liverpool Academy

Jun 21: Leeds Academy

Jun 22: Hull The Welly

Jun 24: Dublin Olympia

Jun 25: Glasgow ABC

Jun 26: Newcastle Academy

Jun 29: Birmingham Academy

Jun 30: London Shepherds Bush Empire

would be sweet if they brought this to the USA

Wait a minute...Tony Visconti is a musician?! And all these years I thought he was "just" a record producer!

(albeit a highly talented record producer, given his work on Bowie's "Berlin" records and also on Thin Lizzy's Bad Reputation, Live & Dangerous and Black Rose)

^Visconti was the bassist onTMWSTW. He's way up in the mix on that album.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    ^Visconti was the bassist onTMWSTW. He's way up in the mix on that album.
    Oh yeah,that's right. I forgot about that. I never got into the early Bowie stuff too much.

Oh dang, that sounds great. They need to do a DVD.

If this ever came to the states I would certainly be interested.

I managed to catch this at the Shepherd's Bush Empire in September (while I was there to see Kate Bush, it was a great year for concerts). Any early Bowie fans would really enjoy this. The first half of the show was TMWSTW and the second half was a cycle of early Bowie songs with many cameo performances. Tony only did the first half. Some of the walk ons were people I wasn't that familiar with. I do recall Marc Almond doing Watch That Man. Not a big fan of his but we was good. Recommended show. I ws there to see Tony in action and he was in fine form. It appeared to be an emotional event for him.

Saw them in Glasgow on that initial run and they were great, though Visconti is no way as loud as he was on the original album.

The second half choice of songs was great too......it was almost like I chose the setlist with most of my favourites from Ziggy, Aladdin and Hunky Dory.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Does that guy sound like Bowie? I can't really remember Heaven 17.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Does that guy sound like Bowie? I can't really remember Heaven 17.
    I would say no & i'm a big fan of Heaven 17!!!!!

I'd be all over this in a minute if they came anywhere near Baltimore. Yes, a DVD would be great otherwise.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Never heard a note from this album. I own very little Bowie music.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Never heard a note from this album.
    Glam rock with a small dose of Black Sabbath.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

I'll definitely go along to this, especially as the opening date is in my home town. I have not played this album in a long while though, but do enjoy early Bowie still. He was one of my early gigs, Wembley Arena (then the Empire Pool) in 76, a searingly brilliant memory.

Wow, that's one of Bowie's finest, TMWSTW
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by Smörgåsbord View Post
    Glam rock with a small dose of Black Sabbath.
    Great description.

I just saw the Bowie exhibit at the MCA in Chicago over the weekend. It was great! And for anyone in the area, there is a great Bowie tribute that gigs a few times a year, "Sons of the Silent Age", fronted by Chris Connelly (Ministry, RevCo) who sounds VERY MUCH like Bowie. They're at Metro this Friday 1/9.

Yep, was lucky enough to see their inaugural gig at the Metro, with Shirley Manson from Garbage. Also, was able to see The Disappears perform Bowie's Low at the MCA. Great stuff, had previously seen them open for Wire and HalloGallo2010.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Yep, was lucky enough to see their inaugural gig at the Metro, with Shirley Manson from Garbage.
    I was there too! The "second" guitarist Robert Byrne and I used to be in a band together. And... I LOVE Shirley, but Connelly was so damn good she was just kind of a distraction.