Thread: Tigran Hamasyan - Lost Child of Canterbury?

Tigran Hamasyan - Lost Child of Canterbury?

Just got this album in from Nonesuch records by Tigran Hamasyan. He's an Armenian jazz pianist but a lot of his music sounds like it could've come out of the more instrumental side of Canterbury. One track, Song for Melan & Rafik could've been on a Hatfield and the North album. Here's a youtube video of another track from the album that sounds more like National Health.

Nice one. B.t.w. I first thought it was Syd Barrett when I saw the cover of A Fable, one of his other albums:

Yeah, he's awesome, love his stuff.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

Been a fan of his playing for a while. I am familiar with his work especially with Dhafer Youssef.

I've been fortunate to see Tigran more than once this past year...but most significant was at the Montreall Jazz Fest, where he was the second "By Invitation" artist following trumpeter Ambrose Akinmusire. In fact' Ambrose passed the torch quite literally by, on his last day, collaborating with Tigran....another great show.

Tigran then picked it up, starting woth a duo show with Brad Mehldau that was certainly impressive. But it was his second show, doing his Shadow Theatre record, that was the real eye opener, despite having heard him before both live and on record.

Not sure about the Canterbury connection, but it is most certainly progressive leaning and, on more general terms, just plain progressive in the dictionary sense of the word. You can read my review here to find out more about it.

New to me. He is really good !

1,5 hours of delight:
    Fans of Hermeto Pascoal, Nick Bärtsch Ronin and Trilok Gurtu will love this.

His power jazz trio

Giorgi Mikadze - Georgian Microjamz (Promo)