Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Odd collaborations!

Suspended
    ^^ Trevor called Chris and said Yes.

Don't know if anyone has added this, but it could be one of these most unusual collaborations I've ever seen that works incredibly well. While I admire both of these performers in there own unique styles of music, I consider them poles apart at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Don't know if anyone has added this, but it could be one of these most unusual collaborations I've ever seen that works incredibly well. While I admire both of these performers in there own unique styles of music, I consider them poles apart at the same time.
    Pavarotti did a lot of that in the 90's, though. I seem to recall him doing a big TV special where he had The Eurythmics and a bunch of other pop music people. I think that one, most of them were European people where unknown Stateside, so that's why I don't remember the names. I remember one of this dark haired Italian singer who kinda looked like a young Grace Slick, wearing this leather outfit. But I gather he did that on a regular basis for a few years there, where he'd do shows with all these pop singers you'd think he'd have nothing in common with.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Then I suppose you should also mention her duet with Peter Hammill on Il sole nella pioggia (written by Hammill, who also co-wrote on song on Exit), and perhaps even the one with Tim Bowness on Viaggio in Italia, which also has Jakko Jakszyk on guitar. I don't find Levin and Marotta's presence on a "pop" album that surprising. They are session musicians and have played on pop records before. In any case, I find Park Hotel a brilliant album.
    Il sole nella pioggia also has Richard Barbieri, Steve Jansen and Jon Hassell on it. King Crimson's Trey Gunn plays on her 1996 album Charade. So she has quite a history of working with prog musicians.
    I, too, like her albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Nashorn View Post
    Il sole nella pioggia also has Richard Barbieri, Steve Jansen and Jon Hassell on it. King Crimson's Trey Gunn plays on her 1996 album Charade. So she has quite a history of working with prog musicians.
    I, too, like her albums.
    If ^^ doesn't convince, look at this list from Alice' website.

In 1976, Frank Zappa produced the album "Good Singin', Good Playin'" by Grand Funk Railroad. I know he worked with many artists, but this collaboration surprised me. The wikipedia article says that Grand Funk had actually broken up, but because Frank expressed interest in producing their record, they gave it a shot.
    Last edited by señormoment; 02-02-2015 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by señormoment View Post
    In 1976, Frank Zappa produced the album "Good Singin', Good Playin'" by Grand Funk Railroad. I know he worked with many artists, but this collaboration surprised me. The wikipedia article says that Grand Funk had actually broken up, but because Frank expressed interest in producing their record, they gave it a shot.
    His production of Essra Mohawk (née Sandy Hurwitz) seems even odder. I guess he was just scouting for talent and wanted to strike while the iron was hot, since he got to her first. There were also the odd artists signed to his DiscReet label: Kathy Dalton and some hard rock band whose name I forget who only made one album. And then there’s Lauren Wood (a.k.a. Ilene Rappaport, a.k.a. “Chunky”), who got her start singing with Frank...so her hit single “Please Don’t Leave” (with prominent vocals from Michael MacDonald, same as many 1979-80 charting singles) has a Zappa connection.

I don’t know where I heard it, and I don’t even know if it’s true, but apparently Frank was supposed to produce one of the SFF (Schicke, Führs & Fröhling) albums but it didn’t happen.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...