Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name a song (with vocals) you'd like to hear remixed as an instrumental

Name a song (with vocals) you'd like to hear remixed as an instrumental

Here's one I'd like to hear: The Battle of Epping Forest (from "Selling England by the Pound" by Genesis). I do like Peter Gabriel's vocals and lyrics a lot, but I think the song would make a great instrumental. There's a lot of stuff going on that is hard to make out because of all the vocals.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Billy the Mountain
    Greggary the Peccary

Gates of Eden

P.F.M.: “Mr. Nine-Till-Five”

Oh, wait...
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Mike Oldfield's "On Horseback" comes to mind--the one flawed low point in what's otherwise a masterpiece.

I suppose I wouldn't mind hearing some Radiohead songs get that treatment, the ones where Thom's at his mumbliest (particularly the abstract stuff on Kid A or Amnesiac where the instrumental part is fascinating enough on its own). It'd also be an improvement for some Beatles tunes that suffer from idiotic lyrics (think "Come Together," "Strawberry Fields" or LSD).

Also anything and everything by Meshuggah.

Glass Hammer's Chronometree.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Refugee - "Someday"
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    If they could somehow lose the vocals on Tony Williams' Lifetime albums you'd hear no complaints from me.

Suspended
    The problem with making an instrumental version of a song like, for example, Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds is that it has three veses; without the lyrics to those verses, the piece would just have repetition and would be too long. You wouold have to decide whether to shorten it, or keep it the same length but add various embellishments to the different verses to give some variety.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    The problem with making an instrumental version of a song like, for example, Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds is that it has three veses; without the lyrics to those verses, the piece would just have repetition and would be too long. You wouold have to decide whether to shorten it, or keep it the same length but add various embellishments to the different verses to give some variety.
    Very true. All those things fall under remixing, though, so I was taking the question to include reworking or reconstructing rather than just "what songs would you like to hear with the vox removed."

Suspended
    White Rabbit
    Surf's Up

Pardon me for apostasy, but for my tastes just about EVERY piece of music would be improved. Never been as big a fan of vocal music as instrumental.

All of Yoko's material on the Double Fantasy album

Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells, Parts One and Two, and Amarok for that matter.

We don't have to dispense with the original, I just wondered what it'd sound like ...er... 'sober', as it were.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk View Post
    Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells ... I just wondered what it'd sound like ...er... 'sober', as it were.
    I'm not sure what this means. Are you just thinking of taking out the Piltdown Man stuff? I'm fine with that on TB1, myself, although come to think of it the "Altered State" counterpart on TB2 would be much better without those muppet voices.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    although come to think of it the "Altered State" counterpart on TB2 would be much better without those muppet voices.
    "Why's that funny?" "I DON'T KNOW!"

Couldn't have said it better myself, Mike.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Pardon me for apostasy, but for my tastes just about EVERY piece of music would be improved. Never been as big a fan of vocal music as instrumental.

I'm pretty much with you on that, though I don't think an Instrumental Suppers Ready would actually work. . . Now I would be down for an all instrumental Plague of Lighthouse Keepers. . .

But at the risk of being accused of a being a Hijacker, would I really cross the street for would be an acomplished String Quartet (perhaps with guests) taking on Red. . .
    (Did this ever happen?)
    www.artbykgh.com

Wherein one can peruse all manner of Digital Artwork & Photography. . .

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    White Rabbit
    Surf's Up
    George Benson did that a while back. Of course you have to be a fan of Refined Jazz Guitar

regards
    KGH
    www.artbykgh.com

Wherein one can peruse all manner of Digital Artwork & Photography. . .

I remember reading somewhere that Hackett, Banks, et al were pissed that Gabriel sang over what were written as instrumental sections of the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

Most notably, I guess the "as I cuddled the porcupine" section of Back in NYC had some double tracked guitar that got lost in the shuffle . I'd be extremely interested to hear an instrumental version out of curiosity more than anything else.

As for enjoyment? How about instrumental versions of "Binoculars" by National Health and "Wingful of Eyes" by Gong. Or better yet: have Richard Sinclair just sing both songs instead

I've got a bunch of Smile bootlegs and one of them is just backing tracks. Yes, yes, indeed: the instrumental version of Surf's Up is amazing. Can't find it on youtube or else I'd link it here

Almost anything by Zappa.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Greggary the Peccary
    Isn't there an instrumental-only version of this?
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by KGHofSF View Post
    But at the risk of being accused of a being a Hijacker, would I really cross the street for would be an acomplished String Quartet (perhaps with guests) taking on Red. . .
    (Did this ever happen?)
    Check out three bands, Two Cellos, Apocalyptica and Section Quartet. No King Crimson (that I can see....) but lots of contemporary hard rock & grunge.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    All of Yoko's material on the Double Fantasy album

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Anything with Peter Hamill

I love vocals, but anything sung by Gayle Moran would be better as instrumental. Like the last 2 Mahavishnu Orchestra albums and the Return To Forever live-album I own.