Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: A 5.1 Surround Thread

All around the world. On land and in the sea.

A 5.1 Surround Thread

Hi there everyone - I know there's likely a 100 of "(insert album here) to be released in 5.1!" threads about, but as I've finally got my surround sound system up and running (an extra, unlikely Christmas present as a result of receiving a new Blu-ray player!), I thought it would be fun to devote a thread to 5.1 in general. What are the best? What are the worst? What should be in surround that isn't?

So far, I spent about 8 hours (!) and listened to -

WarChild (plus bonus cuts)
    A Passion Play
    Lizard
    Larks' Tongues in Aspic
    The Power and the Glory
    Discipline

... and a few others I'm probably forgetting! I thought they were all pretty great, especially WarChild (lots of detail!), Larks', and Discipline. Power and the Glory was a little disappointing, I hate to say - not quite as separated as the others, but otherwise I was so thrilled I went ahead and ordered Red too! Which reminds me, I've got Starless and Bible Black yet to hear. Fracture in 5.1? Yes please!!
    Check out Colouratura's sophomore release Unfamiliar Skies - out this spring on Melodic Revolution Records!

colouratura.bandcamp.com

Wish You Were Here is fantastic in 5:1, also

HIROMI - Time Control
    George Benson - Breezin'
    Steely Dan - Gaucho

Here are all my Multi Ch. discs:

g.jpg
    Last edited by ProgUK; 12-28-2014 at 07:37 PM.
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

Stay away from Mike Oldfields "Five Miles Out"!! Some bad, bad decisions were made on that one. The other 5.1 Oldfields are fine though.

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Quote Originally Posted by ProgUK View Post
    Wish You Were Here is fantastic in 5:1, also

HIROMI - Time Control
    George Benson - Breezin'
    Steely Dan - Gaucho
    Wish You Were Here? I gotta have that now ...
    Check out Colouratura's sophomore release Unfamiliar Skies - out this spring on Melodic Revolution Records!

colouratura.bandcamp.com

Rob Reed has been pretty prolific over the years as far as 5.1 mixes go and they are all excellent which I'm sure many here will attest to.
    You have-

Magenta - Seven
    Magenta - Metamorphosis
    Magenta - Chameleon
    Magenta - The Twenty Seven Club
    Kompendium - Beneath The Waves
    Robert Reed - Sanctuary

I have a LOT of 5.1 discs. Of course, you really have to like the music to begin with. Some of my discs don't do it for me because the compositions didn't do much for me.
    I love the Green and Blue Genesis boxes. Both DSOTM and WYWH SACDs are amazing. The TAAB disc souds somewhat harsh, but A Passion Play was a major improvement.
    The Pulse DVD sounds fantastic, as does the Yes Symphonic Live.
    The ELP albums in general were somewhat of a disappointment to me, but they are still worthwhile if you like ELP.
    If you like Porcupine Tree, all of their albums are fantastic in 5.1. In Absentia and deadwing are among the best sounding 5.1 mixes ever.
    As for Yes, The Yes Album and Relayer are the two better 5.1 mixes. Fragile has some missing parts on some of their mixes, and CTTE tended to overemphasize the BGVs and put Rick way down in the mix.
    Transatlantic Whirld Tour 2010 is incredible.
    Another fantastic sounding mix is Donald Fagen's The Nightfly. That is one album that really grew on me from hearing it in 5.1.
    Three more great ones are The Beatles - Love, Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells and David Gilmour - Remember That Night has a very special version of Echoes.
    Oh, and I would be remiss if I forgot to mention the Deluxe version of Pink Floyd's new release, The Endless River. That was very enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    WarChild (plus bonus cuts)
    A Passion Play
    No Thick As A Brick?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Queen's A Night at the Opera is essential!!!!

I didn't buy the Genesis box sets & just bought the individual discs I liked. The Lamb is sublime & the watching the slide show whilst listening to it is the icing on the cake!

Ommadawn in 5.1??

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    No Thick As A Brick?
    I have it. I will listen to it soon!

colouratura.bandcamp.com

I have it. I will listen to it soon!

It's a great surround mix (provided you have the replacement disc that was sent out, just like the most recent Opeth 5.1)...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    The TAAB disc souds somewhat harsh, but A Passion Play was a major improvement.
    Sounds like you still got the defective DVD from the first batch,
    You should contact your seller (amazon? Burning shed?) And replace it.
    The first batch was botched in the mastering and was replaced by the original non-mastered SW mix.

If you have an SACD player, the Helmet of Gnats II disc is really nice. Not 5.1 but the difference between stereo and SACD playback is awesome ( no hyperbole ).

Oops, yes 5 channel, gotta read ALL the liner notes.
    Last edited by markwoll; 12-28-2014 at 11:34 PM.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

Helmet of Gnats II is indeed multi-channel on the SACD

Wow this thread is great. I guess i have more 5.1 discs than i realized!
    Some SACD's simply don't state they are Multi Ch.

Updated collection:
    new.jpg
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

Can anyone recommend a great $500(approx) sub woofer? Time to upgrade!
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

I have a Yamaha thin stack (2 8" drivers) sub which I've had for 20 years and it is KILLER for my 15 x 15 home theater
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Queen's A Night at the Opera is essential!!!!

I didn't buy the Genesis box sets & just bought the individual discs I liked. The Lamb is sublime & the watching the slide show whilst listening to it is the icing on the cake!
    Oh nice - I had NO idea the Genesis discs were available individually. Can anyone comment on Selling England? I'd LOVE to hear Firth of Fifth in surround ...

colouratura.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Sounds like you still got the defective DVD from the first batch,
    You should contact your seller (amazon? Burning shed?) And replace it.
    The first batch was botched in the mastering and was replaced by the original non-mastered SW mix.
    Actually, I did get the replacement. I simply think the high end comes out a bit too harsh on this. The original disc had some glitches in it. I still think it is worthwhile, but the overall sound of A Passion Play is far superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    I have a LOT of 5.1 discs. Of course, you really have to like the music to begin with. Some of my discs don't do it for me because the compositions didn't do much for me.
    I love the Green and Blue Genesis boxes. Both DSOTM and WYWH SACDs are amazing. The TAAB disc souds somewhat harsh, but A Passion Play was a major improvement.
    The Pulse DVD sounds fantastic, as does the Yes Symphonic Live.
    The ELP albums in general were somewhat of a disappointment to me, but they are still worthwhile if you like ELP.
    If you like Porcupine Tree, all of their albums are fantastic in 5.1. In Absentia and deadwing are among the best sounding 5.1 mixes ever.
    As for Yes, The Yes Album and Relayer are the two better 5.1 mixes. Fragile has some missing parts on some of their mixes, and CTTE tended to overemphasize the BGVs and put Rick way down in the mix.
    Transatlantic Whirld Tour 2010 is incredible.
    Another fantastic sounding mix is Donald Fagen's The Nightfly. That is one album that really grew on me from hearing it in 5.1.
    Three more great ones are The Beatles - Love, Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells and David Gilmour - Remember That Night has a very special version of Echoes.
    Oh, and I would be remiss if I forgot to mention the Deluxe version of Pink Floyd's new release, The Endless River. That was very enjoyable.
    Was the TAAB disc lossless 5.1. I find that only lossless can faithfully approach the smoothness of analog.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

Oh nice - I had NO idea the Genesis discs were available individually. Can anyone comment on Selling England? I'd LOVE to hear Firth of Fifth in surround ...
    Selling England is fantastic in 5.1... "The Cinema Show" is particularly rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Selling England is fantastic in 5.1... "The Cinema Show" is particularly rewarding.
    That box set was the best. SEBTP was good, but the greatest sonic improvement was Trespass. The older the original recording the greater the improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    That box set was the best. SEBTP was good, but the greatest sonic improvement was Trespass. The older the original recording the greater the improvement.
    Yes, the earliest albums showed the most improvement for sure. Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot really came alive in surround. They were recorded so quickly and on a shoestring budget that they stood the most to gain. The other 70s albums all sound great too though. I have little use for the stereo remixes as I don't care for some of the choices made, but as a surround experience they sound fantastic. One is best advised to hang on to the earlier mixes for casual listening however (they should have been included on the box sets).

Actually the Genesis box is one missed oppurtunity IMHO.
    It does not sound good- too compressed and not very dynamic, also not too discreet.
    The best sounding one is indeed Trespass, and the Lamb is also quite discreet and nice.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Actually the Genesis box is one missed oppurtunity IMHO.
    It does not sound good- too compressed and not very dynamic, also not too discreet.
    The best sounding one is indeed Trespass, and the Lamb is also quite discreet and nice.
    Which box? Most people had issues with the 75-82 box. And let's make sure your comment is about the 5.1 lossless mix? Most of the critiques have been about the stereo. The impact of compression is more severe on 2 channel mixes.