Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: A 5.1 Surround Thread

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Since this thread has resurfaced and some time has passed, I'll ask again if anyone is using a wireless 5.1 surround system, and if so, how they like it. I was looking at one made by Enclave online today. It appeals to me because I HATE my current receiver (one of those ultra complex Pioneer ones), and the included one looks simpler.

I'm ok with speakers needing to be plugged into a the wall, but my wife hates cords running over or under rugs, etc., and frankly so do I.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    When you say you're adding them to your Media Server, do you mean a Blu-Ray player that's playing the disks? What is it using to "serve" the 5.1 recordings, and what is it serving them to?
    I'm running both a Plex and Subsonic server on a PC in the basement, running the LAN into a ROKU and out to my 5.1 receiver.
    The ripped surround files are being encoded to 5.1 FLAC.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic333 View Post
    I'm running both a Plex and Subsonic server on a PC in the basement, running the LAN into a ROKU and out to my 5.1 receiver.
    Thanks, I think I've asked you the same question before!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Since this thread has resurfaced and some time has passed, I'll ask again if anyone is using a wireless 5.1 surround system, and if so, how they like it. I was looking at one made by Enclave online today. It appeals to me because I HATE my current receiver (one of those ultra complex Pioneer ones), and the included one looks simpler.

I'm ok with speakers needing to be plugged into a the wall, but my wife hates cords running over or under rugs, etc., and frankly so do I.
    After reading this CNET article, I would find this Enclave system lacking. It doesn’t have microphone calibration. No receiver needed but it doesn’t support high res lossless decoding.

“Like the Klipsch WiSA system, the Enclave doesn't support DTS:HD or Dolby TrueHD, but it will read PCM soundtracks (as well as standard Dolby and DTS). While we thought the lack of HD sound processing was an oversight on the $5k Klipsch system, it's a little more forgivable here.”

Enclave Audio Cinehome HD 5.1 review
    http://Enclave Audio Cinehome HD 5.1...hd-5-1-review/

A beneficial side effect of the wireless 5.1 system is that it keeps your nachos warm, especially using the hi-res lossless files.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I don’t recommend any wireless system for 5.1. Most don’t sound good.....Denon makes some real good A/V receivers that are pretty easy to set up.....as for wires, there are some nice wire management systems available that do a good job of hiding wires......anyone that hasn’t tried 5.1 owes it to themselves to give it a try! You won’t regret it....just stay away from all in one box systems. They aren’t worth the money!!
    So much music....so little time....

Look at the recent Stereophile "In the Round" article describing 5.1 with Roon's Nucleus+. If I were to start over I might go this route, Roon core + Endpoint + 5.1 AMP. I have a HT preamp/processor now + a 5.1 AMP but the human music interface is pretty poor. Sounds good though.

Damn you guys I have be happily using my Lafayette LR-9090 receiver for 40 years, but it stopped working recently and I don't know anywhere to get it repaired. I have helped others pick out surround systems but always stayed with my stereo. Now the lack of tunes and this thread may make a convert out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Damn you guys I have be happily using my Lafayette LR-9090 receiver for 40 years, but it stopped working recently and I don't know anywhere to get it repaired. I have helped others pick out surround systems but always stayed with my stereo. Now the lack of tunes and this thread may make a convert out of me.
    You will be happy!!,

My biggest issue now is finding titles!
    Apparently, most of these 5.1 releases are only issued once, then they're gone forever.
    Even massively popular titles, like the Who's Tommy. There was a 5.1 release of it and some point, but I can't find a copy of it anywhere.

HDTracks is a good source for HD music. It there a comparable one for surround music?
    I do prefer the discs if there's different mixes on it to compare, but just finding the albums I want would be nice.

For all things surround the QuadraphonicQuad forum is a great help!

Or you can search for multichannel discs on HRaudio

The Tommy 5.1 mix is available at Discogs and The Elusive Disc btw.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    eBay is a good source for them as well.
    Chad

My biggest issue now is finding titles!
    Apparently, most of these 5.1 releases are only issued once, then they're gone forever.
    Even massively popular titles, like the Who's Tommy. There was a 5.1 release of it and some point, but I can't find a copy of it anywhere.

HDTracks is a good source for HD music. It there a comparable one for surround music?
    I do prefer the discs if there's different mixes on it to compare, but just finding the albums I want would be nice.
    I am selling off my 5.1 collection due my second round of fighting cancer (to help pay bills). If anyone wants a list, PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    I am selling off my 5.1 collection due my second round of fighting cancer (to help pay bills). If anyone wants a list, PM me.
    More interested in you recovering! I’m currently in remission for colon cancer. I hope everything goes well....

I just read that "Plex still does not support gapless playback of audio files such as mp3 or FLAC." Is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    More interested in you recovering! I’m currently in remission for colon cancer. I hope everything goes well....
    Thanks for your kind words. So am I. I had six rounds of chemo for type B lymphoma in Summer-Fall 2017. Went into remission by mid-Winter 2018. It returned this fall and nearly took my left leg. The treatment this time around has been pretty brutal. I am happy to say the leg is back to normal size. I have a Pet scan tomorrow and hopefully a auto/self bone marrow transplant next week.

For anyone who wants a PDF list of the my 5.1 discs/box sets/etc., just send me your email address to keithling@keithling.com. List is close to 200 titles long. Includes several box sets. Formats include DVD-Audio, SACDHybrid, SACD Stereo, DTS, BluRay Master Audio, and Dolby Digital. Pricing is at slightly below eBay/Amazon. Will offer discounts for large orders.