Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: FEATURED CD : Eddie Jobson : Zinc (The Green Album)

Speak of the devil. This interview just appeared in my YT rec list. I used to watch Night Flight back in the day but don't remember ever seeing it. I sure wish he'd made a follow up to Zinc...

I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

^ Effin' loved that. Thanks for posting.

For such a talented guy, he doesn't have a large amount of work out there. UK, Tull, and Curved Air and his solo stuff. I know he was a sideman on Roxy records and some King Crimson, but he doesn't really jump out at you on those. It's a shame, really, since his keyboard playing was very distinctive which I think is hard for keyboard players to achieve. He seems to be trying to wring out every last dollar from his thin catalogue for which I don't blame him, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    For such a talented guy, he doesn't have a large amount of work out there.
    Much like Patrick Moraz in that regard. I’m guessing that both may have been difficult to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

For such a talented guy, he doesn't have a large amount of work out there. UK, Tull, and Curved Air and his solo stuff. I know he was a sideman on Roxy records and some King Crimson, but he doesn't really jump out at you on those. It's a shame, really, since his keyboard playing was very distinctive which I think is hard for keyboard players to achieve. He seems to be trying to wring out every last dollar from his thin catalogue for which I don't blame him, I guess.
    Didn't he play with Zappa as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Didn't he play with Zappa as well?
    Yes, there are a couple of live-CD's out there on which he plays.

I know he was a sideman on Roxy records and some King Crimson, but he doesn't really jump out at you on those.
    The interviewer above implies that Jobson had been a member of King Crimson, and Jobson doesn't correct him--Jobson was lucky to get a word in edgewise with that guy--but his contribution to Crimson was just a single session, replacing David Cross's parts on three songs for the USA live album. Pretty minimal. And the story goes that Fripp annoyed him by addressing him as "young Edward," when his name is actually Edwin. With Roxy he necessarily played simpler parts, and since Bryan Ferry also played piano on the records, it wasn't always easy to tell how much of the keyboard work was Jobson.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I think Eddie Jobson did his most impressive work with Curved Air. especially in Metamorphosis.

^^That is, indeed, a great track. My favorite of his work is the first UK record.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I also have both the LP's as the CD's (two versions of Theme of Secrets: the original Private Music and a Japanese re-release from 2009 on BMG). I too thought The Green Album-CD didn't sound as good as the LP, so I'm curious about this (although I'm also a bit afraid for Jobson's choices). Well, there's at least plenty to read ;-)
    Received the set today and listend to The Green Album through head-phones. It sounds fresh! Nice looking set. There are actually just 4 pages with liner notes if you scrap the front page (with the covers) and page 2 and 3 (with the recording and mastering information).
    Haven't got a Blu-Ray player so I can't judge that disk.

I've had The Green Album on both vinyl & CD. Still have the CD somewhere. Nice overall. Never found it in any way to be groundbreaking nor an essential listen. Pretty good as a whole.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    I've had The Green Album on both vinyl & CD. Still have the CD somewhere. Nice overall. Never found it in any way to be groundbreaking nor an essential listen. Pretty good as a whole.
    It's a strange album indeed, hardly to compare with anything in fact. I guess that gives it its charme, together with the virtuoso playing by Eddie.