Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD : Eddie Jobson : Zinc (The Green Album)

My LP sounded horrible too (Brazilian copy). I will wait for the remastered version.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Back in '83 San Francisco radio station KFOG had "Turn It Over" in pretty heavy rotation. I liked it so much I tracked down the LP, and this is before I knew anything about UK or Eddie's stints in Roxy or Tull. The sound on this record fit in perfectly with what I loved at the time: Rush, Saga, Yes and Pink Floyd. I still think the album has few to zero flaws and one of my greatest disappointments was that he never produced a follow-up.
    Actually,he did,it's called The Pink Album and he mentions it in The Green Album. "Hi-fi sound and new effects,Green is now the Pink is next." I asked Eddie in 2011 when I saw UK in San Francisco face to face "Is The Pink Album ever to see the light of day?" He said "YES! it will but I just don't know when."

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Actually,he did,it's called The Pink Album and he mentions it in The Green Album. "Hi-fi sound and new effects,Green is now the Pink is next." I asked Eddie in 2011 when I saw UK in San Francisco face to face "Is The Pink Album ever to see the light of day?" He said "YES! it will but I just don't know when."
    Wow, that's exciting news. The last time this discussion came up, my understanding was that - while "Theme of Mystery" had been recorded though not released (tracks available to stream at the ZL) - the "Pink Album" project had not actually been recorded. If this is wrong and the album does actually exist in the archives I, for one, I'm delighted.
    "Where the light is brightest, the shadows are deepest"
    Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Corbie View Post
    Wow, that's exciting news. The last time this discussion came up, my understanding was that - while "Theme of Mystery" had been recorded though not released (tracks available to stream at the ZL) - the "Pink Album" project had not actually been recorded. If this is wrong and the album does actually exist in the archives I, for one, I'm delighted.
    FWIW, on an interview from the Winter 1995-1996 Progression magazine, Jobson was asked "if he had any unreleased material from The Green Album sessions that might see the light of day?" Jobson's reply was "I have unreleased material, but nothing I would ever put out. I have a follow up to Theme Of Secrets that never was released". No references to recordings from the Pink Album.

Below is an exchange from Jobson's forum where a fan is asking about the Pink Album and the webmaster replies back:

Re: just curious
    Author: Gert
    Date: 09-11-06 14:22

Its an old question but very important for all of us.

Will Eddie ever release his unreleased Pink?album?
    Thanks for your reply,
    Gert.

Re: just curious
    Author: webmaster
    Date: 09-11-06 22:38

That's an easy one to answer: The Pink album will never be released because it was never recorded!

At the request of Capital Records, Eddie played around with trying some 'commercial' approaches to writing---these are the infamous 'Pink Album Demos' which are floating around--but, apparently, none of the songs represented what EJ wanted to do for the actual Pink album (I guess we'll never know what that was!). Eventually, according to Eddie, he stopped trying to fit in 'where he didn't belong' and he let the Capital deal fall apart. As we all know, eventually, EJ landed at Private Music and recorded 'Theme of Secrets' instead.

Webmaster

On another thread from Jobson's forum there was the following post:

Re: 2nd Zinc Album
    Author: KillMyMusic
    Date: 02-22-06 09:10

These demos were demos that were done right after the Green Album, but were not exactly meant as Pink Album demos. But they -although not meant as PA-demos- exist and were called:
    - Looking to the future
    - Edinborough
    - Beyond the wilderness
    - Can't communicate
    - and another instrumental piece

Hmmmm.... Interesting stuff. Thanks!
    "Where the light is brightest, the shadows are deepest"
    Goethe

So I guess EJ lied directly to my face when he told me The Pink Album would happen. That's not nice.

my roomate in high school brought this lp back from his home and played me it, what a perfect collection of music in the early 80s amidst the pop music wasteland. flash to hong kong i got a copy of zinc on tape played it walking around the streets,what giddy happy times for me 532765_10150887764126947_1997376297_n.jpg quickly snached up the one way cd pressing,so glad i do cos that company went under

FINALLY being remastered and reissued, along with Theme of Secrets - due out June 14th. No bonus tracks, which is kind of a bummer - but thrilled to see this out again and remastered:

The Green Album/Theme of Secrets contains two of Eddie Jobson’s most highly sought after solo albums.

The critically acclaimed Green Album, with studio band Zinc (and guest Gentle Giant’s Gary Green), was originally released in 1983 and represented a creative updating of Jobson’s unique Progressive Rock vision. Theme of Secrets - from 1985 - was a groundbreaking electronic music album performed entirely on the Synclavier Music Computer.

All tracks have been remastered for this special 3-disc 2CD and high-fidelity blu-ray audio re-release (24bit/96k stereo).

In digipak with 7 page booklet featuring extensive liner notes.

From Eddie's Zealot's Lounge:

New remasters of The Green Album (1983) and Theme of Secrets (1985) will be released on June 14th. It was not possible to remix either album in surround sound, but the new 24-bit/96k stereo masters sound terrific and come on a single Blu-ray Audio disc. Two CDs and a seven-page booklet complete the package. The extensive liner notes provide an explanation of the Green Album concept – something I have been promising for years.

This release should not be confused with the May 6th Japanese release of The Green Album which is also available as an import on Amazon–a single CD flat transfer from the original. Somehow, Universal Japan always seem to find out about my planned releases and quickly release the same product to avoid import competition. In this case, the worldwide copyrights of both The Green Album and Theme of Secrets have reverted back to me, so their recent competitive release is not just annoying, it is technically illegal. Please avoid this inferior product.

Burning Shed is taking preorders.
    Last edited by Dan Roth; 05-23-2019 at 09:50 PM.

I rather have this without blu-ray audio, which only makes it more expensive.

I've never heard either of these, so this is a good opportunity for me to pick them up.
    <sig out of order>

I'm on the fence. I have both on vinyl, ToS purchased upon release, and I'm not sure that I like them enough to shell out more cash.

Isn't "Theme of Secrets" more ambient and New-Agey? I think folks expecting a stylistic follow-up to Zinc will be dissapointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Isn't "Theme of Secrets" more ambient and New-Agey?
    Very much so. There's no fire.

Isn't "Theme of Secrets" more ambient and New-Agey?
    It's new-agey and very much "of its time", but it's not saccharine. There's some interesting textures and melodic ideas, although a lot of it comes off as Jobson playing mad scientist with a Synclavier ("Ooh, when I press this key it sounds like marbles rolling downhill".) It's inoffensive, but mostly for Jobson completists.

There was a rash of similar albums out in the mid-80s, thanks to the short-lived Private Music label headed up by Peter Baumann.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I have the original vinyl from 1983 and the CD released on the One Way label which sounds really good. For anyone who hasn't heard it I would highly recommend The Green Album - its kind of what Prog should have sounded like updated for the 80's. If only there had been another one in this vein, so sad that a man with Jobson's huge talents could only further his career by writing jingles

Theme Of Secrets is a different kettle of fish, ambient/electronic, slightly avant garde and frankly a bit dull imho.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    No remaster is going to help the vocals, I'm afraid.

I have the original vinyl of both, and the One Way CD of Green. I always thought the Green Album sounded kind of thin, so I'm tempted to go for it. Secrets is a good listen, though not something I go for often.

I also have both the LP's as the CD's (two versions of Theme of Secrets: the original Private Music and a Japanese re-release from 2009 on BMG). I too thought The Green Album-CD didn't sound as good as the LP, so I'm curious about this (although I'm also a bit afraid for Jobson's choices). Well, there's at least plenty to read ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    No remaster is going to help the vocals, I'm afraid.
    The vocals are the weak point, but fit the material for some odd reason. It's definitely not a reason to avoid the album.

While I am most certainly going to pick up this new Remaster of Green Album/Theme of Secrets, it does make me wonder if "1980-1989 The Solo Years" is still going to be a thing.

Autobuy. The Green Album is engaging synth-centric rock along the lines of Saga, and Theme of Secrets is a classic electronic new age outing. I had Theme on cassette first when it was new. Ed no doubt loved recording that.

What would have been REALLY cool is releasing a separate remaster for Green and a two-fer of Theme of Secrets and its never-released follow-up Darkness.

I too have both on the original vinyl. As far as I'm concerned, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I like the new packaging, I bought the two new ones.

Have the originals in vinyl too. They work well enough for me.

The vocals are the weak point, but fit the material for some odd reason. It's definitely not a reason to avoid the album.
    My feelings too; I enjoy it a lot as is. But I think Zinc/Green Album could have been at least a minor hit with better vocals.

I'll get the new twofer b/c I don't have either on CD. I almost bought Green Album as a Japanese import for around $30 so if this twofer is $30 then I'm not getting a bad deal. Even if I'll never need the BR disc.