Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why no Winter Prog festivals?

Why no Winter Prog festivals?

Just sitting here now with the realization the holidays are over and I need to face the Winter with no Live Prog to see/talk about.

Anyone want to chime in on why, from a promoter's view, that an indoor prog fest in Winter is a bad fiscal proposition?

I'm not really into winter outdoor activities so I'm holed up with my tunes next to the fireplace.......

I can see the pattern of outdoor summer festivals....but really, I have so many outdoor summer activities that live music is at the bottom of the list.

And no......I don't need to "float" to see a festival.

Discuss please.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Too cold and you can't get sunburned like at progday.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Suspended
    Because it's summer!

Even if the festival is held in a warm area you still have several major problems. 1. People are usually too busy around the holidays. 2. Most people spend too much money around this time of year to want to spend money on a festival even after the holidays. 3. They may have to travel from a cold area with a possibility of bad weather. Even the promoters wouldn't want to deal with putting a festival together near the holiday season. My wife is always stressed out this time of year with all effort to get ready for Christmas and then taking it all back down again. This is a very stressful time of year.

Easy - bad weather can make traveling difficult to commit to; for bands, for anyone.

Probably for the same reasons hardly anyone tours in the north in the winter time. In Michigan the concert scene really slows down from about the beginning of December to the beginning of March. The weather can create such havoc with travel that most band’s choose not to tour in the north this time of year. On the other hand, for those that do choose to tour there is very little competition, which would also be true for a prog festival.

The audience is busy, and if it is a grass roots prog lovin' promoter like CalProg, so are we. A couple of years ago, we had The Musical Box right around Christmas and it was pretty brutal.. at least for me with all the extra holiday stuff to attend to on top of it all. TMB is the easiest band we have hosted, too. Pretty self contained. That being said, if some great bands were all around the same area at the same time, we'd probably jump right in and plan something. Bands are busy, too. Travel is messy… Gosh. Now I wish we DID have something going right now. My proggerlust is awakened.

Human beings suck is all.....

I see no reason why there couldn't be some kind of indoor festival in the winter even if it was just a one day thing. The OP brings up a good point. I think there is a certain amount of effort involved in putting a festival together and with holidays and the weather(ie snow in many parts of the world)being a factor it's probably just easier in the spring or summer. I do think it could be done and if it is done there wouldn't be much competition. I wouldn't want to do it at any time of the year although I have thought about it.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

SCHOOL & SNOW
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Talking about bad weather, I recall a few years back one band was scheduled to play a show here in Cleveland in like February or March. I believe it was a Yes tribute, but there were coming from somewhere in NY I think (Rochester? Albany? Something liek that). Anyway, there was a blizzard that hit the area, and as I understand it, they got as far as Erie, Pennsylvania, and were forced to turn around because I-271 was closed east of Erie. So they had to postpone the show. And of course, plane flights get grounded all the time during severely inclement weather, as well.

I imagine that has a lot to do with there aren't more festivals at this time of year.

It seems like they're difficult enough to do successfully when the weather is good, so it's not hard to imagine why nobody is doing them in the winter months. Wasn't there going to be one in October in Delaware a couple of years ago? With some pretty awesome bands who never play in the US? That one had to be canceled due to lack of interest, and it was *October*.

^ Are you referring to the one Greg Walker was going to put together? I think I remember that suppose to take place sometime in the fall and possibly in Delaware. The thing is it never got very far. I think only maybe 200 people signed up so it was cancelled. If he had used kickstarter or something he could have raised the money needed and not worry so much. Oh well. But I think also part of the problem is the venue he wanted was too big. Start small then upgrade later. It can be a tricky thing especially with prog when you don't know how many people will show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    It can be a tricky thing especially with prog when you don't know how many people will show up.
    ...and winter exacerbates this issue. I'm not saying that a winter prog festival cannot work - I'm just saying that I can appreciate why there aren't any.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Talking about bad weather, I recall a few years back one band was scheduled to play a show here in Cleveland in like February or March. I believe it was a Yes tribute, but there were coming from somewhere in NY I think (Rochester? Albany? Something liek that). Anyway, there was a blizzard that hit the area, and as I understand it, they got as far as Erie, Pennsylvania, and were forced to turn around because I-271 was closed east of Erie. So they had to postpone the show. And of course, plane flights get grounded all the time during severely inclement weather, as well.

I imagine that has a lot to do with there aren't more festivals at this time of year.
    I am going to try to get to Playhouse Square in February to see The Musical Box. Hope there is no blizzard in Cleveland that week.

Newears is having a one-day festival in Boston on January 17th.
    <sig out of order>

We do have HRH Prog in the Uk in March, mind you personally Im not keen on holiday camp events in March--but thats just me, I appreciate lots of people enjoy it. Sanguine Hum are playing it for us this year which times well for them as their new album is due out late February .

Quote Originally Posted by Mt. Pleasant Farm View Post
    I am going to try to get to Playhouse Square in February to see The Musical Box. Hope there is no blizzard in Cleveland that week.
    Yeah, I intend to be there too. It's been awhile since I've seen The Musical Box.

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    We do have HRH Prog in the Uk in March, mind you personally Im not keen on holiday camp events in March--but thats just me, I appreciate lots of people enjoy it. Sanguine Hum are playing it for us this year which times well for them as their new album is due out late February .
    This may sound like a dumb question, but what exactly is a “Holiday Camp”? I have heard of the term for years, and of course it is referenced in The Who’s “Tommy”, but it is not something we have in the U.S. (that I am aware of), so have always been curious as to exactly what a Holiday Camp is.

I guess I didn't make myself clear.....It would be an indoor "festival" like Rosfest or Nearfest.....In a mostly warm climate.....say, Orlando, FL. That way it could also be a family vacation.......send the kiddies off to Disneyland.....I forgot too that a lot of Bands aren't necessarily on the road 1st Quarter of the year......
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    This may sound like a dumb question, but what exactly is a “Holiday Camp”? I have heard of the term for years, and of course it is referenced in The Who’s “Tommy”, but it is not something we have in the U.S. (that I am aware of), so have always been curious as to exactly what a Holiday Camp is.
    Swap the word "holiday" out for "summer", and invite the whole family, not just the kids. Does that answer you question?

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    I guess I didn't make myself clear.....It would be an indoor "festival" like Rosfest or Nearfest.....In a mostly warm climate.....say, Orlando, FL. That way it could also be a family vacation.......send the kiddies off to Disneyland.....I forgot too that a lot of Bands aren't necessarily on the road 1st Quarter of the year......
    First, you'd have to find a suitable venue in Orlando. Secondly, you'd still have to hope the weather cooperates, unless everyone is coming from somewhere in Florida. There can still be blizzards and other weather phenomenon that would keep any number of people from being able to attend. If a freak blizzard or something like that volcano a few years ago in Iceland or wherever it was that caused lots of planes to be grounded (which, amongst other things, scuttled Budgie's planned US tour), that could still wreak havoc on your fest. If the audience, the bands, and/or support personnel can't get there, it's still gonna be a great big clusterfrell.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Last year the Progressive Nation Cruise took place in February and the Cruise To The Edge took place in March. Both floating prog festivals and pretty much exactly what you are talking about……..just not on land.

...the one season where socks with sandals would seem to make a small bit of sense
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Looks like the first year since 2002,that I will not go to a festival. Nothing jumps out at me and no offers have been made to go with anyone. Well it was a good run.
    Last edited by Camelogue; 01-12-2015 at 03:43 PM.